1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank You PSSA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T H Wallace, Sep 8, 2013.

1. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

I would like to personally thank the PSSA for saving me a whole lot of money.

I saved $60.00 of entry fee

I saved $5.00 of Daily fees

I saved $70.00 for shells

I saved $20.00 in gasoline

and most importantly, they saved me 6 hours of driving!

How do you ask?

simple, when will the PSSA realize, that no one wants to shoot on bank 6?

When I had someone there to pull a squad, the PSSA would not release any additional squads, because bank 6 was not full. When I got the phone call, I exercised my option and turned around, went back home.

If I pay that much money, I want to shoot on a bank I am comfortable with. Am I a great shooter, NO, far from it, I may only shoot 500 targets a year, due to financial restraints. (Those with kids in college know EXACTLY what I am referring to.)

I really did want to shoot the Westy Hogan, So, I am not complaining, I am just thanking them, for allowing me to save some money.

But they really do need to re-evaluate, the squad issuing policy. The only way you ever fill Bank 6 now is by bullying those that do not presquad (and pay an additional $2)or have to work on Friday, into shooting there.

So I thank you, my wallet thanks you, and my kids thank you.

2. zinger

zinger Member

Just because your buddy went to the squadding desk and tried to get you squadded before the shoot doesn't mean you wouldn't have got on a better bank! Many times there are holes to fill. If you were trying to get a whole squad, that's another story but you make it sound like you are the only one who chose not to shoot?

3. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Friday bank six was closed

4. WTW

WTW Member

I tried to pull a full squad on Friday morning for Saturday singles and nothing open. Early Saturday morning I tried again and still nothing open except bank six. I have been shooting at most shoots since 1993 and the last four or five years it has been a real hassle to pull a bank close to my camp spot.

I will be thinking real hard before I renew my lease.

Yes, they lost a full squad and four spots on Sunday.

I guess they don't need the shooters any more ??????

Ted

PS YES, I DID SHOOT FRIDAY EVENTS.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The "bank battle" has been ongoing for decades at Elysburg and I never had a hatred for Bank 6 - you have to shoot it and/or Bank 5 in the photo below in the shoot-offs, you know. I guess shooters dislike the "busy" background of those two banks; I never paid attention to it until it was pointed out to me after I broke my first 200 on Bank 5 and won Class AA in a shoot-off on Bank 6 at our 2000 State Shoot.

averaged_2008_030350.jpg

I think a random bank number draw each morning is long overdue there. Not long before the first event is to start each day, a number from 1 through how ever many banks are being used that day is drawn and that bank becomes #1 for the day with the rest following in numerical order. Draw a 4 and Bank 4 becomes Bank 1, Bank 5 becomes Bank 2 and so forth.

But the "good old boys" will never permit that as evidenced by a former PSSA officer and HoF member telling me he will never shoot the Delaware State Shoot as long as they do that. In other words, certain banks are good enough for me but not for him.

By the way, the "all-orange or nothing" fan club will notice that even at the yardage from which I took that photo (~50 yards to the target?) on a hazy day in 2005, the black ring on that New York target above and just to the left of the 50-yard stake is still visible.

Ed

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Registered targets are for those who have money. Thats all I can say, if your a good shot you shouldnt care as long as the targets are set proper.

Jerry Lewis

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The PSSA would be better off to sell the place and move to Indiantown Gap where a straight trapline could be realized, have the traps facing north, etc. Pattern it after Sparta and the Cardinal...

Curt

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ed, the shoot offs are held there, but they are at night when you can't really see the background, and the guys who shoot off can't choose their bank. I agree, randomization is long overdo.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I shoot mostly PITA and some ATA but have never been at a club that lets you pick your traps. The clubs I've shot at, start a rotation with the first event. Everyone shoots all the traps used during a shoot.

Help me understand how you can pick the traps?

Ajax

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Devi, only championship shoot-offs at Elysburg are at night.

Cathy, Delaware always drew a number prior to the start of each day that determined which bank would be #1 that day. One of Pennsylvania's top shooters told me, and I'm quoting directly, "...that's another good reason not to shoot there." That statement was made to me during the days when Delaware's State Shoot was held at their own homegrounds at the Wilmington Trap Association. I don't know how they do it at Millington.

Please understand, having shot in eight different states' championship shoots, I firmly believe that the PSSA runs a great tournament but its one eyesore is that constant bickering over bank assignments and the apparent "special treatment" of certain shooters.

Ed

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wife got squads on banks 1-3-11-9 for every event and never had any squadding issues. Maybe knowing how to play the game counts. Those who refuse to shoot ATA targets for a reason known to many have no skin in the game and their opinion doesn't matter.

Other than that I'd love to see random bank assignments at PSSA!!

12. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I love bank 6. I broke my first 200 on bank six and 2 more since then on bank 6. I try to shoot every event on bank six. I think I like it because it is close to the parking lot and the club house; I don't have to walk too far.

Hit 'em hard,

John

13. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Zinger,

As you can read WTW's post, they lost an entire squad, for 2 days.

I just happen to be the one, that just left home.

BTW, this is not the first time. Once we drove all the way there, showed up, and they closed the entries while we were in line! and yes, it was before the posted closure time.

14. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

WTW And Ted. While I have been away for a couple of years, I still follow the results from elysburg and posts here. There are financial reasons for not going to a random drawn bank assignment, that allows for all the grounds keeping and yearly maintanence, and not some "old boys" conspiracy. If not for the thousands of dollars presquadding brings in, you'de be paying much higher target prices or a $1 per 100 maintanence fee like MD I believe still has. With that being said, taking out the @ 30-40 squads that are presquadded, that would leave @ 68-78 squads available on banks other than #6 based on the 120 squads shown today for hdcp. Apparantly 340-390 shooters were able to avoid bank 6. So perhaps you need to take their advice and stop being critical of an organization doing what they feel is in the best interest of everyone. You can always voice your opinion next June at the state meeting, or better yet run for office and correct what you've perceived as a problem.

Jeff

15. WTW

WTW Member

Dedpair, I love to shoot at Elysburg and feel I am paying top dollar for the targets which give me every right to pick and chose where I want to shoot. I do not pre-squad because of health reasons.

If I remember right you were the one who came on T.S. a while back and said some where given special treatment as far as banks go. If thats the case so be it.

I do not want special treatment, I just will not shoot if I got to shoot bank six. As far as random banks goes, I think it would hurt the attendance big time.

I do not hate my little bit of money so may be I'll take DecalDude's advice and stay home so he can pay more to make up the difference.

I shoot for fun and the enjoyment of meeting fellow shooters.

Dedpair, hope you get back soon.

Ted

Just a suggestion, use bank 6 for makeups and practice for the top line.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Do the big dogs own bank 3. I see them every year on the same bank. How's that happen?

17. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

WTW you are correct, and those people where the one's who donated money when the new traps were bought many years ago, and people who help or work for PSSA. Small price to pay for someone's time, effort and genorosity. As for smsnyder, the big dogs still like banks 2/3, but when you see the results, I would guess the winners are pretty well scattered throughout the banks. It's a very unique setup there and we all just have to make the best of it. They put on the best run shoots in the country, and in my mind, that offsets any short comings based on the hand they've been dealt.

Jeff

18. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Jeff, I will e-mail you.

I cannot answer for the ones that happen to get a squad, or when they did squad. I can only project what has happened to me on numerous occasions.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Which banks did Harlan shoot on??

20. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I'am a handicapped person and after walking any distance Iam in severe pain,so I have to park near to the traps.I asked at the state shoot{Pa.] if I could shoot on banks 1 thur 4,I showed the lady my cane and explained why. I was told NO I had to wait and got lucky to get on bank 7,were I could drive and park near.So much for the Americans with disabilaties act. Dawg,to answer your question,It depends who you are,we seen this at the Hogan