1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you Mr.President // Tires

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Citori Shooter, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Please be advised,as I was informed by my distributors,with President Obama's new tariffs on imported tires the prices of all tires will be going up 2 to 12 percent.Thank you.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Why would they all be going up? most major tire makers have plants here in the states

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Bruce.... Its economics.... O'Bama has eliminated a competitor that was forcing prices down. I would not buy a tire made in China but some on the low end of the market do. What has happened is that O'Bama has taken pressure off of the US Tire makers so they can raise prices. Its the same question recently raised on this board about targets from China. My club looked at them briefly but the price was insufficiently different to make the switch but you can rest assured that US Target manufacturers look at the pricing and are making sure that we don't make the switch. Its the way the free market works.

Tom

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

And none of you guys would also be fella's that complain when jobs go overseas in mass and manufacturing in this country essentiall closes up shop? Nah...that wouldn't be you LOL

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

You can not have your cake and eat it too.

We complain about how that cheap foreign crap is killing American jobs - especially if it hits you.

But when protecting American jobs means we will pay higher prices we don't like that either - unless it is our job that is getting saved.

We shop at Walmart and wonder what happened to those mom and pop shops or the old hardware stores.

Don Verna

6. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that the ONLY US made tire is COOPER ! The Japs and the Chinese own all the other makers.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I just bought another set of TOYOs so I'm guilty as as charged.

But it is pretty obvious that we can't have our cake and eat it too. One way or the other our high standard of living will have to fall. Either we pay more for domestic manufactured goods and consume within our means or we won't have jobs with incomes sufficient to buy even the cheap imported stuff.

Tarrifs on imports might hurt today but they will pay in the long run.

8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wolfram,

You may want to look into the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act and the resulting Depression before saying "they will pay in the long run". Nobody but nobody wins a trade war.

Chichay

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

poacherjoe, I believe that Dunlop and Michelin are french

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is another bullshit Obama deal. The fact is that no US tire manufacturers make entry level tires, which are what the Chinese imports are. So he's only hurting the Chinese, not the US manufacturers. this is not helping our folks, and is defineitely pissing the Chinese off.

The tariffs will cost many jobs in distribution and sales/installation, not to mention making low cost tires non existent. And a lot of people will try to get more milage out of their tires than is safe, because their tires will cost more no matter which ones they buy.

I run Kelly Navigator Gold, the extra milage makes up for the cost.

Everything this guy touches turns to pure crap. Our only hope is to have Congress block all the stupid stuff (like cap and tax) till he's out of there.

HM

11. Maurice

Maurice Member

BIGDOGTX, Dunlop is British not French. Maurice ( The Brit )

12. Bruce Specht

We do need to try an equalize the balance of trade and making the playing field a bit more level can't hurt. tire really haven't increased in price all that much. I was in the business for thirty years so I have a bit of experience and watched prices on this prodcut.

13. warren

warren Member

Don't knock those Chinese tires to much and call them low end, when I was running trucks I used to use them a lot because they were like half price and I ran them well over 100,000 miles I even used them as steer tires. The only trouble I ever had with them was getting them off the rim they were such a tight fit.

warren

14. wolfram

Chichay,

What would you suggest other than a tariff? I'm not trying to be a wise acre but I just don't see how we can rebuild our domestic manufacturing base when imported goods flow into the country at such low prices.

I can see why you would be opposed to governmental trade restrictions, I don't like the taste of that either. Unfortunately, people won't 'buy made in USA' just because it is the right thing to do. Any better ideas, hyper-inflation perhaps?

Incidentally, I work for a global company that imports materials from world wide sources and then exports finished products so the downside of tariffs could hit close to home for me.

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Speaking of tires.. has anyone ever bought a set online from TireRack.com? They seem to have great prices and I need a set for my road roach.

Guy Babin

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Wolfram, the answer to your question is for the government to delete some of the layers and layers of bureaucracy that domestic manufacturers have to deal with. Taxes, fees, licenses, permits, OSHA, and dozens of other government mandated impediments to profitability is why the manufacturers moved the jobs overseas. You can bet it isn't all sweetness and light setting up a plant in China either but compared to the manufactured impediments our government burdens American businesses with, China is still a better deal.

17. rivercityjeff

rivercityjeff Member

gdbabin, I've bought two sets of tires from Tirerack.com. They support the military and ship tires/wheels quickly to APO addresses. They offer much better quality than AAFES (the PX) in Korea or Germany.

18. wolfram

Wireguy,

No doubt the various items you mentioned add significantly to the cost of US made goods. But taxes and death are assured. Then there are things like OSHA and EPA regulations which really just require companies to operate up to reasonable standards - the kind of things a good company would do any way. Who wants dangerous working conditions or industrial pollution? Not me, but in those countries without similar controls life aint so good. So yes we got some baggage in addition to high wages that the average high school educated, unskilled US worker thinks they deserve. If you could change any of that would you really want to?

No suprise that the hoard on the west side of the pond can turn out mass quantities of cheap goods to fill our retail stores. But just like the hungry dog, it only comes around if you feed it. Wouldn't 'buying made in US' be easier for everyone if it didn't require paying twice as much? Hey if we can't/won't lower our costs then we better raise their price. Fair? No. Necessary? I think so

19. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

I worked for Wirerope in StJoe Mo. for almost 11 years they now have the largest Cable plant in the world in China they own 51 percent of it. They just layed off anyone with less than 10 years service. How is free market helping. We have over 15% unemployment here and no manfacturing jobs left. As for China tires, I borrowerd a trailer last week with that junk on it. The vibration was shaking my truck and they were near new, so remember this do you want that kind of junk on your highway when it's your children and your safty that is involved. Free market just makes the rich have more power over us poor people.

20. Bruce Specht

Guy, The only problem with the on-line / mail order is service after the sale. Prices are good but if you have a problem with prodcutthere is an issue. You really can't just drive your vehicle over to Tire Rack for the service unless your close. And if you buy a tires from Tire Rack can you expect your local dealer to take care of problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.