1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THANK YOU CANADA !!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunpeople, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

To Barbara, Florin, Warren, Alicia, "Boss" Betty Empy, Pam, and all the rest of the fine people whose names I don't know, you put on one of the best shoots anyone could offer. This year's Canadian Championships shoot was super.

Thanks for the wonderful hospitality and great week. Targets were great. Kids always said "Change PLEASE" (something I have never heard anywhere else), and the shoot went just like clockwork.

It's always fun to attend your shoots in Canada and see all my old friends, and always making new ones.

My thanks to all once again, Dave Monahan...AKA..Dave in NY

PS: see you at the Ontario Proventials

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Dave...It was great to see you again,glad you had a fun time in Ontario once again.I'm not sure how much shooting I will be doing the rest of the year, you know i have other concerns to think about.

Barbara and all the staff at the Hamilton Gun Club did a FANTASTIC job putting on this shoot..Take a bow HAMILTON GUN CLUB....Bill....

3. florin

florin TS Member

Dave, Jim, Bill and Jerri and all our out-of-province friends,

Thank you all for coming – it was a privilege and a pleasure to meet you all!

Your kind thoughts are much appreciated. Barbara and I will make sure we pass your words on to everybody involved, there were quite a few. The kids were fantastic, and yes, this is how they always behave at shoots.

There were of course things that could have helped (such as a computer network to allow the back office staff to process faster and better and video monitors for the scoreboard in real time to just mention a couple) but we will keep working on finding the budget for all of these and more.

Thanks again for attending; it was awesome to see you all here!!

I am looking forward to meeting you all again at the Provincials or on the ATA circuit (PA Grand anyone?)

Thanks again!

Florin

4. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Afternoon folks - ditto with what my fellow ATA coach, incredible webmeister and friend has said above.

And when Florin referred to our out-of-province friends, i know he is referring to the record number of our shooters from every province who attended, as well as our american shooting community. Arizona, Florida, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsyvlania, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennesse and several other States were very well represented.

Stayed tuned to our website as well as here on TS. com for more news and of course the full score report. Right now i'm heading up to the tournament grounds to conduct the final good-bye (CLEAN UP!) to The 2008 Canadian!

Despite the fact we are all bushed, it's a very sad day for many of us.........

b.

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Two Dogs Bill,

I wish you and Sheila all the luck and prayers I have. I loved that steak dinner you served me and am looking forward to another when you are back in action. Ray did a good job zapping the taters also !!!

By the way, you have a new nickname..."Crown Man".
    Compliments of Arlene Estes.....LOL...Those two thought you were great.

We will be thinking of you Bill, Dave

6. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Horrah For Canada! If I may borrow a quote from H. D. Bates, the 25 year old Canadian, of Ridgetown, Ontario, who won the 1900 Grand American Handicap at live birds in Queens, New York.

I am truly overwhelmed by the reception and kindness extended to American shooters by our Canadian friends. It shouldn't have come as any surprize as I have read about these friendships which have existed from the earliest competitions. James Ward, trapshooting champion of Canada was friends with the legendary Captain A. H. Bogardus and Ira Paine. Both at one time held the Championship of America badge. In 1870 Mr. Ward was the chosen referee during the above contest between Bogardus and Paine, shot in Detroit. In 1871 Bogardus traveled to Toronto to shoot a match at 100 birds with Ward. Mr. Ward showed the good Captain that Canadians knew how to shoot, beating the Champion of the World by one bird.

My wife and I had a wonderful time and I was finally able to visit the historic Hamilton Gun Club which I have been reading about for years. I enjoyed looking at the many old trophies and photographs, some prior to 1900.

I borrowed a few items from the Trapshooting Hall of Fame and thought I'd take them to the 2008 Canadian Championship to generate some interest in Canada's rich history. I should have known I didn't need to generate a thing because the interest was abundant and everyone was really enthusiastic to see the memorabilia. I am truly grateful to all who stopped by the THOF display and gave their time to ask questions as well as educate me about the many old gun clubs, competitions and shooters from the past. I finally got to sit down with Ray Bruce on Sunday and we went over the history of the manufacture of Canadian clay targets (Black Birds).

Glad everyone enjoyed looking at the late Emerson Clark's Winchester Model 1912, which he used when he became the first Canadian to win the Grand American Handicap in 1958. I was pretty nervous about borrowing it from the THOF museum and bringing it across the Boarder but due to the excitement it generated, it was well worth it. To be accurate, Mr. Clark was the first at clay targets. As I stated above, Howard Bates was actually the first Canadian GAH Champion in 1900. I now have some new friends from the Ridgetown area who are willing to search around for Mr. Bates' ancestors in hopes of finding the GAH trophy and shotgun.

I won't try to thank all the good folks I met for fear of forgetting a name or two. You know who you are. You greeted my wife and I, gave a friendly smile or tip of your hat. You took time to offer me a smooth beverage at the end of the day and golfcarted me around so I wouldn't be late for my squad. You talked trapshooting history with me and I will always remember my visit with you.

Much hard work and long hours were put in by some exceptional people who only wanted everyone to enjoy the tournament. My thankful tip of the hat to you for making that happen. I am aware that some were so involved that they just would not take time off to compete at their own Championships. That's dedication and all shooters owe you a debt of gratitude.

Friends, please stay in touch with me when you can and I look forward to helping preserve and share with all who are interested, Canada's great history relating to our sport. I have no doubt that sometime in the future, the establishment of the Canadian Trapshooting Hall of Fame will not only become a reality, but will be wholeheartedly supported and enriched by all of us who desire to keep our history alive. I promise to assist in any way I can.

Deepest appreciation and fond memories,

Kenny Ray Estes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.