1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank You BigDogTx and the N.T.S.A.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chuckie68, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

OK so here I am in Texas. About 2 months ago I was on this site and asking if there was anywhe to shoot around Ft. Worth. After a few back and forth emails BigDogTx says let me know the dates and I can take you to my club as a guest. As it worked out and after BDT got his family time done, Sunday (yesterday) was the big day.

I'm supposed to meet my new shootin' pal at 3 in the afternoon and I am running late, have to make a 30 mile drive to get there and nervous. I arrived at my destination, the meeting point with no time to spare. As luck would have it, BDT had called while I was on the road and I missed the call. He was running a few minutes late too. By now I'm really gettin a little more nervous. I'm one of those damn Yankees, and just an average shot only looking to have some fun while on vacation.
    BDT arrives, and off to his club we go. A whopping 2 mile drive.

We get to the range. Then there are the usual going over the rules how the club works and general common sense things. While we were waiting for the Trap field to clear, we were watching some normal skeet shooters try their hand at Trap. They were struggling so BDT steps in and gives a few pointers that helped. They finished happy.

Now it's our turn---and if you remember I said I'm only an average shot looking to have a little fun. I get up to the line and proceed to miss the very first bird. OK --I say to myself, don't embarrass yourself or your fellow shooters back home in Michigan. TADA I didn't ---HOORAY I recovered and shot a 21, PHEW what a relief. We shot two more round and I scored 23 and 22 on those rounds. I must say that I shot better here than at home all winter.

Really what all this boils down to is this, THANK YOU!!! Jim!!!
    thank you for the big Texas hospitality, and taking the time to show a fellow shooter a good time. Your club is a first class operation, (N.T.S.A.) and if you ever get up to the Michigan area look me up and I will take you to my club (Multi-Lakes Conservation Assn.) and return that great big hospitality.

Charley (Chuck) Stevens
    Past Vice Pres.
    Multi-Lakes Cons. Assn.
    Commerce Twp. Michigan.

2. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Where did you and Big Tex shoot..?

Stan

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Charley,,,,Yanks like you are always welcome. ; ) Truly an enjoyable day for me as well. It had been raining and cloudy for the last few days and I was worried about a day for my internet friend to shoot. Cleared off yesterday afternoon and was an absolutely gorgeous day.

Stan, we were at the North Texas Shooters Assn in Denton.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Jim,

Only too happy to say good things about good people!!!
    I had a ball and didn't even get lost getting back to my nephews house. LOL

Great club great people.

Charley

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Stan,

We shot at N.T S.A.

North Texas Shooting Assn.

CS

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Chuck, I was in Texas for 10 days. Just got back. Since I went with a sporting clays shooter, we shot sporting at the NSCA home grounds in San Antonio, Greater Houston gun Club, and the 74 Ranch.

Everyone should visit these clubs. The 74 Ranch was awesome. We also fished for trout off Rockport.

I was told you are not a "Damn Yankee" unless you decide to stay in Texas.

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Setterman,,,,,not unless you come here pulling a U-Haul.....

8. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I was told 22years ago the differnce between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee is a Yankee goes back home. I have been a Damn Yankee ever since.

9. Setterman

We went to the Alamo too. I noticed there were just as many Ohioans at the Alamo as Texans.

My friend from Texas said they must have been with the catering contractor.

No respect. Ha!

10. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

chuckie68, glad to hear about your good experience in North Texas. Our club has a resident Michigander (sp?) for the winter and this is his 2nd year at the Victoria Skeet and Trap Club, and if you ever make it down to South Texas, let me know, and I will try and show you the same hospitality that bigdogTX showed you at NTSA.

Setterman, glad to hear you also had a good experience on your travels to our great state.Was hoping you might make it thru our town on your journeys, but you did make 3 of the nicest shooting ranges in the state. I have been lucky enough to get to shoot at 74 Ranch myself, and it is really something. Greater Houston Gun Club and the National Complex are also "top shelf" ranges.

I'm always glad to hear that my fellow Texans are happy to extend their hands in friendship to out-of-state (or country) visitors, we want to make your stay in our state, something to remember and talk about when you get back home.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Was in Texas foor a long weekend in February visited San Antonio, It was warmer in my home area and I live in the chicago area. People are friendly had a great time walking the rivier walk and the Alamo was a great place to visit. Really enjoyed it, may have to go back!

12. Setterman

Mike, Wanted to look you up, but our time was limited. The wives spent too much time in San Antonio. 74 Ranch was excellant and the birds were tough. We were treated very well at all 3 clubs. It was a great trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.