1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TGT-S Wad versus TGT Clones

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by w762nato, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w762nato

w762nato Member

I was loading a one Ounce load using Remington TGT-S wad and ran out.
    With the cold weather and cabin fever, I had a several hundred more GC hulls left to load I bought a couple of bags of TGT12 Claybuster replacement #CB 8100-12 since the local shop didn't have the real thing. Well the stack height is too high and the crimps are doming and opening so I’ll be using them in a different load.
    Has anyone tried the Down Range TGT clones and how they compare with the Remington TGT-S as compared to height? I can get them within 100 miles but want to know if they too are oversize.
    Thanks Jan

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

downrange TGT is the same height very interchangeable and yes claybuster is taller

3. chemist

chemist Member

I use the clay buster,19 gr of American select, win 209 and they crimp fine in my GC hulls. I can't get a decent crimp with new AA hulls no matter what wad I try. I use a mec9000.

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I use the white fig 8 clones for 1 ounce in my Gun Clubs. The extra depth 1)keeps me from skating the line on stack height that arises from the hull length variability I see in the GC's. I get deep, firm flat crimps that vary from a slight swirl to no swirl versus no swirl to an open center. And 2) more of the shot is contained in the cup, so less barrel scrub.

I do prefer the TGT in a bonafide STS hull but my stash is quickly withering and being replaced by the GC's. With free GC's, STS aren't even worth 2 cents to me.

5. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Why don't you increase your wad seating pressure to seat the wad a little deeper. I would think that would take care of the crimp. Joe

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Well the stack height is too high and the crimps are doming and opening..."

"Has anyone tried the Down Range TGT clones and how they compare with the Remington TGT-S as compared to height?"</I></blockquote>I can't diagnose your stack height problem from this far away but I CAN tell you that the CB 8100 wads are the same length as the DRRT-12 wads. In fact the 8100 wads may actually be a millimeter or so shorter than the new dark colored RT-12s.

As Joe said, I think you'll find that a bit more wad pressure to push the powder cup a little deeper into the wad taper will solve the crimp bulge.

Keller

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Claybuster TGT wads crimp the same for me with several diffrent 1oz. loads as the real McCoy.

8. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

If you have to rely on wad pressure to get a decent crimp, you're not going to be a happy camper. Let em sit for few days and they'll likley pop open. If you're going to try a different wad, try the white Fig 8 clone.

9. lance howard

lance howard Member

I have used the Downrange clone of TGT12 with zero problems. I load the Rem factory wad and DR wad without problems. 1oz load with 16.4 700 x, good crimps. I use the Downrange TGT12 and DR12SO in wally world and Fed gun clubs with no problems although I have been told that I am not using the right wad for this case as it is a straight wall not a tapered caswe like the Reminton,s. I figure if the powder manufactureres that I use put it in their manual then I will use it. I also have had all my reloads pressure tested and they are well within the limits of a target 12 gauge reload. Estates and wally worlds run 6100-6300 with the Win 209 primer. The Gun Clubs run at 6700 plus. The MOST consistent 1 oz reload that I use is the Estate case with 17.0 700X, Fiocci 616 primer, DR12SO wad. My Oehler 35 Chrony and the testing company chrony says 1166-1185 fps at 5750 psi. Works for me. PM me if you want the name of the testing company all the results of the tests. Lance Howard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claybuster tgt clone

compare drrt 12 wad to cb 8100