Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TGT-12 for 7/8 oz?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  maclellan1911 
#1 ·
In the Alliant & Hodgdon manuals , data for using Clays/Clay dot with TGT-12 for 7/8 oz loads are listed. Has anyone out there used TGT-12's for 7/8 oz loads. I've got 3 MEC presses & want to set one up for 7/8 oz. Any problems with crimps & petals folding ?

Phil Berkowitz

#3 ·
Phil:Although I reload on a Hornady 366; I have loaded 7/8 oz. loads using TGT 12 and it's Downrange clone. (DRRT12). I use Promo or Red Dot powder, (17 grains) but see no reason why a person can't use a variety of powders as long as you don't load on the "high end". The only adjustment I made was on my starter crimp and my final crimp. If I didn't adjust; I found the crimp to "dish" . Load up a couple of boxes, experiment with the crimp settings and enjoy. My recipe is 17 grains of Promo, (or Red Dot), STS or Gun Club hull, Fiocchi primer, 7/8 oz #8 with a DRRT12 wad. Works great. Ed

#4 ·
I have my wad quide set so it just ever so slightly moves at bottom of wad stroke. I loaded 7/8oz in Remington TGT12S wads all last year to conserve lead.
With a ever so slight adjustment to the crimp die and final crimp cam they came out perfect. 650 loader
rem hull, CCI209 primer, tgt12 wad, 17.3 grains clays powder. 7/8oz 7.5 shot 1250fps. I won My class in club league with these loads.

A member asked me how much do you really save?
at lease 100 more shells loaded compared to 1 1/8

For me @ 16 yards 7/8 with a full choke My average was the same as if I was shooting 1 1/8. How ever breaks are at times weak. and I know many I missed where do to not being ON the target. When I am focused and shooting well the targets crush just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.