1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TEXAS TOWER #4 - (OT)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

This Air Force radar platform, located off the east coast, fell into the Atlantic during a storm on the night of January 15, 1961…twenty eight men perished. It was a big story at the time. Anybody remember?

BB

2. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I was 8 at the time but I do remember it being on the news at the time.

Sometime around 1964 I read an article about it, by that ime I was a bit older and able to better understand the story.

I have spent my entire working life in the petroleum industry and have spent some time on smaller jack up rigs and platforms. This has given me a better appreciation for being onboard a structure like that in a storm and counting on it to hold together and stay upright.

It must have been horrendous for the crew to know the plarform was coming apart and not have any viable options left.

3. willing

willing Member

I worked for Western Electric at the time, we had tech reps on it.

Bill

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Yes I do remember it. There was a retired USAF Colonel in my home town outside of Boston who let my Dad and I hunt woodcock on his farm. He retired as Commanding Officer of the Texas Towers in 1958. Not so well known was the loss of 51 airmen out of Otis AFB, also in Massachusetts, flying the RC-121 Constellation aircraft radar picket flights. These aircraft served the same purpose as the Towers. There is a little known book about that operation titled 51 Fallen Stars. We owe those people so much.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's now a well known deep dive destination along the Hudson Canyon. I know right where it is. It's also in the middle of some good fishing areas, well known for tilefish and the usual suspects. I remember the news stories when the tower collapsed. I also remember Hurricane Donna.

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I was stationed on Tower Four during the time of its collapse but happened to be on break on shore the night it fell. I remember too well the days and nights when the winds were strong and the sea swells were high. The tower swayed and bucked back and forth as much as nine feet. People got dammed little sleep or rest during those times.

BB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.