1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Texas senator Cornyns response

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Gmangh15, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
    JOHN CORNYN
    United States Senator

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Now thats a CLASS act, we need more like him. Scott

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I got about the same reply from Cornyn, Cruz and my Rep Hall, glad they are on our side

Makes me proud to be a Texan

4. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

There's still some sanity down in Texas.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/22134334/former-california-gun-manufacture-opens-in-shiner-tx?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8832076#ixzz2S6zJ2nTO

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Up for Texas!!!!

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I got the same response from him about 2 months ago. He is a stand up guy, unlike some of those other so called elected officials.

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

We should copy Senator Cornyn's and send it (with attribution, of course) to all of the Whiny Little Girly Men up in DC who just don't seem to get it.

Hoorah for Texas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.