1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Texas lost another shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joconnor, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joconnor

joconnor Member

Allen Wilhite lost his long and courageous battle for life last evening. Allen is now at home with the Lord. We'll miss you buddy. Jerry O'Connor

2. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

I had no idea he was seriously ill not being at the shoots lately. Allen was a nice person to be around. He at one time wore a lot of Krieghoff clothing and I once asked him if he had any Krieghoff underwear. He got a chuckle out of that.

To those that might not have known him well, he was a Wal-Mart truck driver and won the Texas Lottery several years back. You would not guess this for as best I could tell, he never changed. Maybe a better shotgun but still the same pleasant personality.

May he rest in peace.

Neal

3. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

He had health issues for the last year and fought when most of us would have given up. Poor man or rich man he was the same; he still loved the simple things like breakfeast at the pancake house. When he won the lottery he paid the note on his house and bought a new shotgun, the rest went into tax free municipal bonds. He got his 200 singles at the Southwest Zone shoot 9/9/06. God, I'm going to miss him. AJ

4. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Yep. Very sad, and I say that with reverence. I hope he was not too young. Of course, when WE are on our death beds, nearly (most of the time) ANY AGE is too young.

However somewhere, in some part of the country, where younger shooters love to shoot with their older shooting buddies, somebody is always losing another dear friend. For me, it was at the Winter Haven (FLA) Skeet & Trap Club (now known as Polk County Skeet & Trap) some 35 years ago: Pete "Pappy" Dyson, Ralph Smith, Ray Guthrie, Fred DeLaney, Gary Ullom, Paul Rhode, Ed Rhode, Bob Graham, Al Fulford, Charlie Baldwin, Chet Knackiewicz, "Smokin'" Joe Baker, Joe Maszk, Joe Robinson, Everette King, Dick Pope, Jr., Rufus Ellerbe, etc, ad nauseam...... were my lost skeet shooing friends. It gets very lonely after while.

It has been going on since way before the beginning of clay target shooting. It is called "the cycle of life" and it (dying) is as much a part of life as being born.

We loved 'em; we'll miss 'em and we'll never forget 'em. But, the're gone. And it is as natural as breathing the next breath - or not. Let 'em go... so they can rest in peace. But, never forget them.

Let us all thank our Creator who designed the human life span to such length that generations overlap; that way we may enjoy the benefits of having so many friends of various ages. And, let us be brave and philosophical when our turn comes to "stand on the 16-yardline for the last time"...... so that we don't exit as blubbering, cowardly, wimps when it is our time to shoot the big field in the sky - and let's leave good memories for those younger than us who knew and shot with us.

"I don't think any of us are going to get out of here alive......."

Mike

5. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

A really nice guy, who wore levis, and wore a black(good guys wore black hats). He will be missed and so will his stories.
    Bob Roberts

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

He was a very nice gentleman I had the pleasure to meet in San Antonio...my sympathies to all whose lives he touched

7. old tex

old tex TS Member

Joe Max and Mary Walker deserve a star in their crowns for their loving consideration for Allen. They made numerous trips to be with him including last week. I think they were his "Guardian Angels" and I know he felt they were too.

Allen was a great squad mate with a wry sense of humor. One year I failed to show up at the line with a special screwdriver to reset my stock for doubles. I ended up "adjusting" it by pounding it on the gun rack to the amusement of all my squad mates.

Allen was ill and missed the Grand that year but just before we started to shoot Monk Palmer presented me with a full set of high dollar tools that Allen had sent for the occasion.

Rest In Peace my friend.

unc

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Martin and I are very saddened to hear about Allen's passing. It has been a few years since we last met up with him. We didn't get to see him in San Antonio last year, and I was noticing that he hadn't posted anything on facebook for quite some time. He had a good sense of humor, and it was easy to make him laugh.

Our hearts go out to his friends in Texas and his family.

9. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Rest in peace, Allen. Your fun-filled visits to my shop will truly be missed.

Ken Rucker

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Nice story about Mr Wilhite.

I remember him posting here with the sign-on of "awbenz"

11. scarecrow

scarecrow TS Member

So sorry to hear of Allen's passing. I always enjoyed visiting with him at shoots. No more pain , no more suffering. Rest well my friend. J.R. Long

12. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Allen was one of a kind. Great person, always smiling no matter the circumstances. My wife and I will miss him greatly. As some of you know I had problems with my leg after breaking it. Allen, being in poor health himself, took the time to send me a card with a note inside to try to cheer me up. That was something I will never forget. God Speed Allen Wilhite.

Jimmy & Audrey Phillips

13. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Allen was a gentle, kind caring man. The world could use more like him.

Rest in Peace friend.

14. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

God speed. Prayers for the friends and family.

Luvn

15. joconnor

joconnor Member

The only information I have at this time is that services will be in Kansas, probably on Thursday. When I have more information, I will post it here. Jerry O'Connor

16. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Allen was the kind of friend that makes life worth living. He suffered through the most radical surgery I have ever heard of a person having. While striving to recover from it, when Allen and I talked, he seemed more worried about my health than his. Thanks to Dr. Andy Grey for his counsel and care for Allen during his final time. We kept him a couple years longer that expected through Andy's help. Rest in Peace my friend. Jimmy Borum

17. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

So sorry to hear about Allen's passing !!! He was just a super nice guy, I was lucky enough to meet Allen when we tied for the mid-yardage title of the final Handicap event of the Southwestern Grand, probably 7 or 8 years ago. I didn't know him from Adam, and as luck would have it, I ended up winning the shoot-off and also gaining a great friend from then on. We often talked about that shoot-off, and shared a few "adult beverages" after picking up our Champ and Runner-Up awards, You couldn't find too happier people than him and I, we even joked about trading trophies, because the Runner-Up one was almost more impressive than the Championship one ! Missed seeing Allen lately while he battled thru his medical problems, but I always tried to stay in touch when I could. I think seeing that trophy this evening, will have a whole 'nother meaning. Gonna miss ya Allen, Mike Hessong* (Victoria S&T Club)

18. joconnor

joconnor Member

Funeral services for Allen will be Feb 3rd @ 2:00pm in Yates Center, KS. Please goggle Campbell Funeral Home Yates Center for more information. Besides the memorial listed on their site, Allen has given many times to the TTA Youth Scholarship Fund, 800 Baltimore Dr. Hereford, TX 79045. No more pain for you now my friend. We will miss you. Jerry O'Connor

19. Janet

Janet TS Member

Sympathy to all family and friends of Allen Wilhite. That squad in heaven is
    getting bigger and bigger and I'm sure Allen will be welcomed. Although I
    didn't know him personally, all of them Texas Trapshooters I've met have been
    outstanding and from the remarks of his friends, he was too. R.I.P.

Janet-Ohio

20. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I talked with Allen's son and the ATA today. The ATA is putting Allen back at the 27 where he was before the recent reductions. (And me too) AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.