1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Texas Boycott

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Subject: Texas Boycott

An Interesting Event in Victoria, Texas

Victoria, Texas, (pop. 55,000) is a town about 80 miles west of Houston.

Local Hispanic leaders there, in opposition to pending Immigration Legislation, boycotted all Caucasian owned businesses in the Victoria area this past weekend as a demonstration of their economic impact on the community. The boycott was declared a success by the Hispanic community, noting that revenue in Caucasian owned businesses was down by 19%.

Business owners and community leaders also declared the boycott a success as well, pointing out that shoplifting was reduced by 77%, money orders sent out of the country were down by 97%, and the cost of daily clean-up and trash collection was down by 84%. Shoppers reported that they could actually hear English being spoken throughout the community for the first time in recent memory, and customers actually paid for purchases with real money, not government debit cards, thereby reducing administrative costs.

Jeff

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Now that's funny! Sort of.........

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

5. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/shoplift.asp

Victoria, Texas (pop. 60,000) and 125 miles south-west of Houston, Texas.

I don't know how the above mentioned story ever got tied in with Victoria, Texas. I have received this same info from various sources for a few years now, so I did a "Snopes.com" search and attached the story from possibly when it started.

As far as I seem to remember, Victoria never had any response to the issues that created this controversy back in 2006, that a lot of these e-mails sprung from. We are a pretty laid-back community and don't really have any major issues or protest along the lines of immigration. I always read about issues in California during the time-frame, as well as the instance where a particular high school there, flew a Mexican flag ABOVE an American flag (that was also flown upside down) and those items started a lot of the stories that continue to circle the world "forever" on the internet.

Mike* (MH*)

Victoria, Texas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.