1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing voice activated speaker/mics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Without buying an expensive tester, is there a quick and easy way to test the speaker/mic for a Canterbury voice activated release system?

Danny B

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

call "PULL" and see if a target comes out

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Danny,

If you have a multimeter, set it to ohms and read the value of the mic between the two terminals. It should be around six ohms. This is just an electrical test for correct impedance and does not mean the mic will work, however its a good first step.

If the impedance is correct and the mic still won't work the voice coil may be damaged and it will have to be sent to us for re-calibration using a sound wave generator with a known db value.

Strangely enough a mic that is too sensitive can wreak havoc on a field as well. Our test kit with the sound wave generator will determine whether its weak or hot.

If you have any further questions please feel free to call me or Gary Parker at our toll free number 800-684-6329 M-F 10am - 6 pm.

Thanks,

Bob Schultz, Target Shotguns and Canterbury Voice Release.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, it would be terrific if someone traveling the country with the necessary equipment to maintain voice releases properly. Clinics so to speak. I don't know of a club that couldn't use such a service. Some release less than a half second and others more, some not at all. Hap

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get a transistor radio. find a cable with the plug to fit in the radio earphone jack. You can solder a connector on for the CVR end from an old cable or use a new one.

You will soon be able to distinguish by the sound level if the speaker is ok. just compare with a new one.

No sound=not ok. Also if diminished or garbled. This is way easier than getting all bound up in fancy schmancy test gear. Cheaper too.

HM

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Bob Schultz sells a kit that you can test your equipment with. The kit is not expensive and it takes little time to do the tests. Jake

7. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I made a pigtail to use with my multi-meter from a cord connector. With the meter connected, on some units, I was around 4.9-6.5 on the scale, but when i would wiggle the pigtail, it woould fluctuate a lot.

I removed the pigtail, spread the connector prongs apart, and repeated the test with no fluctuation in reading.

I know this is not very scientific, but it may be our problem with speakers working intermittently.

Thanks again

Danny B

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Danny, It may not be the speakers that are the problem. If you have the wired set I would check the wires for shorts. This will cause the same results. Most mikes Ive checked are ok. Its the wires where I find the trouble.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Grunt is correct. What happens is that the braided shield starts to unravel inside the connector from constant twisting because it's only soldered at the tip. To prevent it from unraveling again, coat the twisted shield with solder all the way down to where it enters the outer jacket.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

to test pull cord switches on voice activated trap systems

canterbury trap speakers

canterbury trap voice release videos

canterbury voice activated parts

how to test for a bad canterbury voice activated speaker

troubleshoot voice release canterbury

voice activated trap shooting