1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Test on American history, economics and civics

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by calilori, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

http://americancivicliteracy.org/

The average American scored 49%, the average of our elected officials was 44%. I'm embarrassed to say that I only got 26 our 33 of the questions for a score of 78.79%, although I guess that makes me almost twice as smart as our elected officials. No wonder our country is in such bad shape, our lawmakers are ignorant about where we've come from.

2. cls

cls Member

I also scored 26 of 33. But it seems many questions are opinion or political in nature, and not simply fact (right or wrong). And it's obviously swayed toward the right with several questions related to Christian views and the 2nd Amendment.

Or at least that's the way I see it. cls

3. tj303

tj303 Member

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

4. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I guess I should run for government.....I scored an 81.82% on the quizz.

You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.6%
    Average score: 77.6%

I actually felt some questions had multiple correct answers, so I selected the one I felt was more correct.

Jim C

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim, I like you, disagreed ed with what the test writers believed was the correct answer on two questions.

When I take a test, I want to express what I know. The test writers always seem to want to concentrate on what I don't know.

Pat Ireland

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

32 out of 33 for 96.96% Now maybe you'll listen to me when I post!

7. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Man,

What a way to start a Sunday. Take a test. Made an 84.85%. Maybe I should run for grand potentate. LOL Really be cool to see how our "leaders" would do on this test.

Jack

8. tj303

tj303 Member

Pat,
    If we only take tests that show what we know...we all get A's. Just like Harvard! Then we get to be 'the best and the brightest'... that run our economy and government into the ground.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I missed #27. I'll be available for clinics if necessary.

Neil

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

29 of 33 for an 87.87%.

According to their website I'm to dumb for opera and to smart for Nascar.

sissy

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Missed 2, about the same average I have shooting singles.

I missed question # 4, and 29.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

81.82 as well,,,,would have only missed 3 if I CAREFULLY read the question,,,,same as I did in school,,,,snap answers always get me in trouble,,,,could be a good question for being able to vote,,,,

cls,,,,not enough questions about gov't taking away rights, monies or the dreams of citizens for your taste???

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I just remembered...

The answers to most of the quiz questions would have been covered by material presented in my 1968 (maybe 1969) high school American History class.

I vividly recall my desk being strategically located one row over and one row back from Mary Snyder's. At the time, mini-skirts were de rigueur. Ms. Snyder and her micros were both 'smokin'.

Teacher R. Thompson's efforts notwithstanding, its amazing in retrospect I remember anything (other than Ms. Snyder's drawers) presented in that class.

sissy : )

14. cls

cls Member

bigdogtx, you sure make a lot of ignorant, uninformed, unnecessary comments/questions. cls

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

96.97% I wonder if Neil and I missed the same question.

I continued on to several pages of the website. I found the following interesting facts:

Republicans typically score 7 points higher than do democrats. Breaking the republican group into a subcategory reveals that moderate republicans score and average of 3 points higher than do conservative republicans.

Enlisted/retired military scored higher than civilians.

People in the 45-to-64 group scored HIGHER than those just out of high school.

And the SCARIEST thing I saw was that hardly ANYONE understood question 27, which is an ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL thing for Americans to understand TODAY! We are in a continuing struggle for those of us who believe in the free market -vs-the majority who chose a more socailized government. On this question (reprinted below), citizens scored 16.25% AND POLITICIANS SCORED 10.71%

27) Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because:

A. the price system utilizes more local knowledge of means and ends

B. markets rely upon coercion, whereas government relies upon voluntary compliance with the law

C. more tax revenue can be generated from free enterprise

D. property rights and contracts are best enforced by the market system

E. government planners are too cautious in spending taxpayers’ money

I'll give you a FREEBIE on this one...the answer is A. Read it, study it, live it, VOTE FOR IT.

16. recurvyarcher

cls, these are civics questions, so they are inherently political questions. That is what civics IS. The questions and answers are not biased toward christianity, rather, the founding fathers were almost all, if not all, christians. Therefore, it would be difficult to write a civics history questionaire without having any religious references.

You didn't get anything out of this excercize, did you? That's the way society thinks these days - if it doesn't agree with your current uneducated thinking, then dismiss it. That kind of thinking is contributing greatly to the demise of the U.S.

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Well I scored 78.79 and read the ones over I got wrong so next time I might have the right answer. Do not see why you people can't just take the test and enjoy it! I personally would rather have friends than enemies. I thought the test was rather difficult. jmho Bill

18. recurvyarcher

Not trying to make enemies...I am fervently trying to INFORM.

I am frightened for the future of our country.

19. cls

cls Member

<i>"if it doesn't agree with your current uneducated thinking, then dismiss it. That kind of thinking is contributing greatly to the demise of the U.S."</i>

Pullllese... Is today ignorant statement day or something?

recurvyarcher, how the hell did you come up with your comment above from my two sentence statement (reposted below)? And I would ask the very same question of bigdogtx.

<i>I also scored 26 of 33. But it seems many questions are opinion or political in nature, and not simply fact (right or wrong). And it's obviously swayed toward the right with several questions related to Christian views and the 2nd Amendment.

Or at least that's the way I see it. cls</i>

"The demise of the U.S." Frankly I refuse to see the US as a failure, I thought only the left wing morons that voted for Obama did. But if it were, my guess would be ignorant judgmental people who misread comments on blogs are huge contributors. And not those who simply post an educated opinion, and qualify it as such. Amazing… cls

20. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

90.91%

Missed 7,8,33.

I am ashamed.

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.