1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Test for the computer guru's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dickgshot, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have a Lenovo notebook with dual core 2 processer, 1 gig of RAM, 80 gig drive and XP professional. It has been running like a snail for months. Takes forever to load a program, and goes into a busy mode for no reason.

At least it did until today.

Now it works fine. Anybody want to guess how it got fixed? You may be surprised. I was.

2. Dickgshot

Nope. Never loaded Norton in the first place. You've got to think outside the box on this one.

3. Dickgshot

Cute, but no cigar.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTTT

5. Dickgshot

Three more tries. There's no soft answer here.

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

The date/time battery was going bad. Ray

7. Dickgshot

Ray, you're warm. One more try.

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I give up. What?

9. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Your Startup file was running all the pre-loaded programs plus the stuff your wife & kids loaded.

10. Dickgshot

The damn battery! I let it run down to recycle it, and either it or the charger just died. When it did, the A/C adapter apparently bypassed the battery and start powering the computer directly. The screen got brighter, everything worked faster, and all the other nightmare problems vanished.

I had tried everything for months. I thought it might be a virus of some type, though I had AVG loaded. I uninstalled programs that I thought were memory hogs. You name it, I tried it. But I'm not that savvy about computers, so I thought there was something I was missing that I didn't know about. My son's a programmer and he couldn't help.

Probably a couple cells were dead, but not enough to shut it down. If it hadn't crapped out completely, I never would have figured it out.

I hope this helps somebody else someday.

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Ah laptops are sooooo fun. You drop it and all the 1's and 0's get jumbled up.

ha ha ha ha ha ... Glad it was just a battery.

Jerbear

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Lenovo, as well as other laptop manufacturers,purchased batteries that were faulty, and some of the manufacturers put out a recall. The problem is, when you answer the recall, you might find that the replacement battery takes FOREVER to obtain, since there is such a demand. You may have to wait for a replacement battery to be shipped in from outside the U.S. (unless you want to go ahead and PURCHASE one, in which case they are available from a few sources).

Do a web search on laptop battery recalls.

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

When I bought the first of four Lenovo ThinkPads about a year ago and called tech support to try to learn why the things were not working right, there were messages concerning battery exchanges due to faulty batteries.

You might try calling them to learn if yours was one that was recalled - 1-800-426-7378 with your serial number and model of your laptop.

Rollin

14. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have a Dell (2005 model) was part of the huge battery recall, recieved a new battry for nothing about a year ago.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.