1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrible Shot!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I was watching TV last night and saw a "survivor" type show on sharpshooters. The "blue" team had to shoot a 100Yd target about the size of a pie plate with a Springfield 03. This guy must have shot 30 rounds at this thing without hitting it.....and he had a spotter! What in the world could have been wrong? Anybody else see it?

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I'd say either he just couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a snow shovel or the gun wasn't sighted in. JMO Colonel

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

All I can think is that the bore was rusted out by corrosive primers. But you'd think they would have checked that. Or maybe it was a setup? Who knows?

Nobody is that bad.

4. Landshark

Landshark Member

The same guy lost the shootoff to the young kid. He could'nt hit the target with a scoped M700 at 400 yards.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Very believable. Most week-end warrior types I know couldn't hit a target that size with a modern day scoped rifle unless it was shot over sand bags. On the other hand I know a few guys that can shoot playing card size groups all day long with original 03's.

6. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Interesting stuff. I guess I could understand a 400 yard target miss. That might be challenging to some extent I suppose. You are correct, though, Landshark. A modern rifle with a good scope should make that a fairly easy shot unless you have no skills whatsoever. The 100 yd shot with an 03 is surprising, though. I am not a super expert at rifles, but the 03 was pretty darn good as I recall, as respects inherent accuracy. I suppose the thing must have been sighted off badly....but they said they had a chance the day before to sight it in. Anyways, at least they don't give people Roses or crud like that at the end...and they are shooting guns! Oh, I was wrong...it was the dudes on the red team, not the blue!

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

Supposidly the guy is a "professional" shooter - whatever that means.

I think they must mess around with the guns or sights and thats part of the challenge. (i.e. its a set up)

I'd think you'd at least attempt to bore sight the darn thing. I've boresighted by sandbagging and sighting down the bore and been on paper at least at a 100 yds many times.

John

8. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I watched that show as well. This guy had practiced with the gun the day before I believe. The teams had 4 different guns to be used in the challenge.
    he's supposed to be some kind of ex military sharpshooter. Hard to think that he could not hit the target at that range. I wonder if someone altered his rifle somehow.

i_shoot

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

High winds from right to left was a big factor. He could not adjust for it, and therefore never hit the paper.
    And, he could not shot worth beans.
    Or, it was scripted for him to lose.
    Just my thoughts,
    Dave

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Man, I felt bad for that guy. That kid was a pretty good rifle shot...cocky, but pretty good.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The kid was a champion class long range rifle shooter. The older guy just had the misfortune to fall into his area of éxpertease.

12. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

That guy couldn't shoot worth spit. It took him a couple of shots at 50 and couldn't draw paper at 100. My buddies and I shoot 10 shot groups less than 2" every month in MBA matches. I shoot a bone stock 03 as required by the rules and have shot a best of 1.47 ten shot group and have also shot 297-14 out of 300 possible.

13. BigM-Perazzi

Sooo, ken1okie, why weren't you and your budds there????

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Factory ammo, and open sights, bad combo for someone inexperienced with that rifle. Wayne

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'll tell you what............I didn't see the program,but if I had a spotter and couldn't hit at 100 yards,after a few rounds I'd put a round down range at a clump of grass or some other object............watch where the round hits in the dirt,and make your corrections off of your observations.Sorry about the run on sentence.Sounds like a rookie with a rifle if you ask me.............just an thought!

D.P.Reynolds

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I think he got bit by the pressure.

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The target background was brush so the spotter was essentially worthless if you didn't cut paper. The spottter for the red team was a woman (who had shot the 50 yd. target) and when it was her turn to spot the 100 yd target she couldn't even find it in the spotting scope so they cut the tape and had someone find it for her. Pretty hokey.

It almost seemed like another "make the middle-aged white guy the goat" program.

18. BigM-Perazzi

More a problem with a bad spotter shooter combo. You notice the kid grabbed the marine sniper trained in using that rifle scope combo and of course familiar with long range target variables...

19. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

This might get interesting when they give em a 12 gauge and a target that is not sitting still. A jumping teal with a screaming crosser at 40 yards will be fun double to watch. They may want to make the clays out of the same stuff in those bullseye targets.....gotta have stuff explode to keep the audience entertained!

20. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

A pie plate at 100 yards? I'd give that one a try with the .45-70, black powder and iron sights and expect to hit it.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.