1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tennis elbow

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by batman1004, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

what are the best treatment options for leteral epicondylitis how to stop the pain and cure thanks geo 3

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Rest. Also, see your doctor. S/he may recommned a cortizone shot, which will help with the pain, but you still have to rest it. S/he may also recommend an elbow brace.

3. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

Don't know if you are a reloader, but pulling the handle on a reloader may cause and continue the pain from tennis elbow. You must figure out what is causing the pain. Been there and done that. Added an automate to my Mec and within 4 months, I am feeling no pain from the elbow. Just my experience, hope that it helps.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Quit playing tennis!LOL Jack Daniels helps a bit. On the more serious side ibuprofen will help but don't take for long periods of time. The ibuprofen is a very powerful anti-inflammatory available over the counter. The brands Motrin and Advil are ibuprofen.
    Joe

5. cotrshooter

cotrshooter Member

I wnt to the doc a number of times and he couldn't help me. I friend of mine give me a brace with magnets in it. In a month it was gone and haven't had any trouble sence.

6. Lurefish

Lurefish Member

I am four months into my first bout with tennis elbow. Wore a brace, took anti-inflammatory pills for about 6 weeks and resting the arm the best I can. It is now back to where I can at least shoot again. I am saving the cortisone shot for the golf season since they seem to last only about thirty days for me.

Never played a round of tennis in my life, mine happened using pruning shears cutting shooting lanes for deer hunting.

Ken Jeffries

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I've had it in both elbows, was a proffesional driver. Went through all the prescribed treatment methods with limited success. The remedy came when I started analyzing the cause, in my case the physical mechanics involved in steering a large vehicle. Any repetitive motion that involeves hyper-extending the arm can lead to this condition.

Example from a reloading experience, I have a friend who was developing the problem with his PW-800 machine. What I noticed was that every time he reached to pull the handle he was hyper-extending the arm. We positioned the machine so that he was closer and able to grab the handle with the elbow slightly flexed and the problem went away.

A corisone injection if given correctly along with anti-inflamatory's will help for a time but you need to modify whatever activity is leading to the problem to begin with.

Robert

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is from pulling on the handle of your loader ... or judt from pulling on your handle?

:)

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Are you sure its from playing tennis? How about trap elbow?

10. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have been diagnosed with lateral epicondylitis in both elbows at different times. The left elbow was after giving a length of light chain a flick to get it out of the way, slightly hyperextending the elbow. After 4 months off work, (I couldn't pick up my teacup left handed!) I was sent back to work by the insurance company, over my doctor's objections. That was after my doctor, 3 physiotherapists, xrays, and an MRI, none of which found anything wrong. After another 4 months of pain and a useless left arm, I was told about an accupuncturist and somatoenergetics practicioner who had fixed a friend's elbow and got him back to work. After one treatment, I felt better, but not cured. He palpated the elbow while moving my forearm, and while doing so, my elbow gave a loud crack, which was as painful as the original injury. It turned out that one bone was slightly dislocated, which put the tendon out of place, causing the pain. My advice to you is to find out if the tendon running over the epicondyl is in the right place. It should be running through a slight depression in the bone, the sides of which act as guides for the tendon. If it is out of place, the tendon will be running over something which is exerting pressure on the tendon, causing inflammation and pain. Anti-inflammatories and cortisone may help, but until you remove the cause, it won't get better.

11. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Hello, I just went through this last year. When the pain was mild I went to my family doctor and she gave me a brace to wear just below the elbow. I did this and for a while it was OK. I went to see an orthopedic doc and he saw the elbow brace and told me to get rid of it right away, which I did. He gave me a wrist splint which seemed to help a lot. He said to wear it to bed!! Yeah right! I wore that when I could, on the way to work or whenever I could. After a while I was OK but it came back. I visited my family doc again and she recommended physical therapy. While I was in therapy the therapist asked if I minded if he would ask my doc for permission to use what they called Iontophoresis, which is a sort of transdermal med with the assistance of an electrical current. I am not so sure that it worked, but with the persistent pain I was back to see the orthopedic doc again and he said why dont you take a shot? I said I would but under protest. So I had the shot and it worked well, that was about 5 months ago and I would have to say that I am about ready for another sometime soon.
    Kevin McIlwain

12. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

thanks guys for all the info it was for my brother he is the one suffering for about 30 days know it is in his left arm elbow wrist and even goes up to the back of his neck taking ibpro. pain med arm brace and it was his left arm he doesn't use it at all he hasn't shot for years if it was his right arm would understand but don't know how he hert it he is just tired of the pain I guess back to his quack dr. any way thansk again geo3

13. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Should have mentioned it in my earlier post. Suggest to your brother that he consult with an Orthopedic surgeon. Most general practitioners treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

Robert

14. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

This is just another form of tendonitis where age and/or repetitive motion cuases damage to one/some of the tendons in the elbow area.

The tendons are much like steel cable and this often ocurs when some of the threads of the cable fray and rub against the sheath that contains the tendons. Mine got to the point that I couldn't hold up a coffee cup.

The braces are intended to basically cut short the pull of the muscle before the area where the tendon is frayed/damaged. I have no idea why someone in the medical profession would be appalled at seeing someone use a brace.

In my case, I went for a cortisone injection...worked wonderfully BUT this needed to be coupled with some stengthening of the area. Ortho guy gave me what was basically an empty paper towel roll, wrapped in the kind of woven tape you wrap a tennis racket grip with, that had a heavy string attached to it of a length that if I held the roll horizontal in both hands out in front of me, the string would about get to the ground (what...maybe 4 feet). The exercise was to repeatedly roll and unroll the string from the roll by motion of my wrists while holding it at arms length in front of me.

I go the gym regularly and thought this was a pretty sissy exercise and wouldn't do a thing. I asked, how about reverse wrist curls or something. The response was to absolutely NOT use weights and to do as I was told.

This was about 4 years ago and although I sometimes get a bit of a twing in the area, for the very most part its gone.

The alternative if rest, cortisone, and strengthing the area don't work is surgery which I would have to think about long and hard myself.

Hope this helps.

15. philk

philk Member

I`ll call it magnum elbow, a 44 Smith on sandbags gave me the worst case I`ve had. I`ve had four of the elbow operations, both sides of both elbows, and no more problems. My ortho surgeon tells me even after the operations you can still get it then it`s back in to scrap out scar tissue. About 5 months recovery time till they felt normal after the operation, at least for me.

Just had an arthoscopy done on my left wrist for torn cartilage, sitting out two months to let it heal. Whats next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can trapshooting cause tennis elbow