1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tennis Elbow from shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by just_bob, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just_bob

just_bob Member

Bought a BT-99 with a soft-touch. Love the gun. Pain in the elbow on the shooting side. Am I fighting the soft-touch, maybe holding the gun too tight? Never had pain before or recoil sensitivity, but do enjoy how soft it shoots.
    Thanks
    bob

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Bob, It may be from how you close your gun, especially if it's new. It will close harder. Left arm or right arm? Go see a therapist. There are exercises for your bum elbow.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes, and it takes FOREVER to get rid of. I've been nursing mine for about a year. Caused by pulling your trigger hand wrist back to grip the gun. Worse if you hold an extra high elbow.

Tennis players get it from hitting back-hand shots.

See a doctor.

Anti-inflammatory meds, and one of those funny looking straps that go around your forearm...they really work. I'm wearing mine now.

Get the tan colored one that has the little air bag. Aircast I think. I have a Futuro brand now (wore the Aircast one out.) Figured they'd be the same, but I don't like it as much.

Problem is, you get to feeling better, then you stop using the anti-inflammatory meds and stop using the strap, and it comes back.

Tim

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

am i confused,what did i just read??

bill

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It is tendonitis of the forearm caused by vibration from the gun like someone who operates a jackhammer. I overcame the problem by wearing a Cooper Lastrap for tennis elbow. See the website above. I bought it at a medical supply store.

6. just_bob

just_bob Member

Thanks Guys
    I think I've got it now. I hold my elbow high and when the gun recoils into the recoil device my wrist snaps back and forth, stretching the tendon in the elbow of my trigger arm. I need some meds,arm band, and probably relax and let the soft-touch do the work and not hold to rigid.
    bob

7. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I've had it for 2-3 years now. I think shooting & reloading (Sizemaster) never gives it a chance to heal.

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Hatshooter is right. Reloading will aggrevate it.

9. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I got it in my wrist from using a pfs stock. Doc says a combination of arthritis, carpel tunnel and old age. Took off the pfs and the pain went away. It seemed that the sudden movement of the stock from the recoil was irritating my wrist.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

A compression bandage might help. Also, when I go down to Florida for the Dixie Grand and I will look around for a Fountain operated by Ponce de León. That could help some of us. Does anyone know the telephone number for Ponce?

I don't understand how reloading could cause tendinitis. Is the cause the 2-3 empty hulls in my right hand or the 3-4 wads in my left hand? Perhaps wearing the wrong shoe size when I push the pedal down to activate the hydraulic cylinder might be the problem.

Pat Ireland

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Pat, Pulling the handle on a relaoder gave me a bad case of tennis elbow. It took more than 6 mos to go away. I bought the hydrulic attachment and that took care of any future problem caused by reloading.

12. Mojo

Mojo Member

Pat - sorry Ponce passed away early this year.

13. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Tennis elbow!!It comes with age and with the body simply being worn down by life.Do you have pain while trying to pour something like milk from a 1/2 gal. container?The tendon is inflamed and will usually take 10 months to a year to heal itself.I will give you a condensed way to speed up the process.After seeing three Doctors and two cortisone shots here is what will REALLY work for you.1. The cortisone shot will work if you rest it afterwards for two weeks.2.Place an ice pack on the inflamed area for 15 minutes and then immediately place a heat pad on for 15 minutes.Alternate this three x while watching t.v.This procedure will'break-up' the scar tissue causing the inflammation and will speed up the healing process.Perform this procedure for as long as you can daily and the results will be fast and lasting.I had issues alternating from both arms and then to my biceps tendon on both arms.This will work,it's just a frustrating thing to go through.Best of luck-e-mail me if any questions. Dennis.

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I've had tennis elbow in both arms for 30yrs. Mine was caused by cranking on the steering wheel of a bus. After undergoing physical therapy and receiving cortesone shots on numerous occasions, as well as wearing arm bands I finally found the solution for me. Seems I was hyperextending my arm causing the tendons to stretch and bringing on the inflamation. Shortening my stroke on the steering wheel thus not straitening the arm greatly improved the condition. Working as an instructor, I noted students struggling with the problem. After relating my experience to them and showing them how to correct the problem, they later reported back to me that their symptoms had disappeared. Analize the mechanics of your gun mount and if you are hyper-extending your arm (straightening it) at any point try to correct this. I believe tendenitis is a repetitive stress disorder so changing your mechanics is key. Mine has never gone away but is dorment unless I do something to aggravate it.

Good Luck, Robert

15. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

I had a bad case of "Tennis Elbow" in my left elbow. It came on soon after I got a Precision Fit stock. Great stock but think about the change in the recoil pattern. The recoil is transfered from your face and shoulder goes to your arms, elbows, wrists, and hands. I shot a release trigger then and got all the transfer to the left arm. Took off the PFS and went to a Counter Coil, and after some "Voo Doo" medicine from my favorite Orthopedist the Tennis Elbow went away and has been gone for over five years. The "Voo Doo" medicine involved sugar injections into the tendon sheath to get rid of the roughness in the tendon and form scar tissue to smooth it out. He is still a real doctor.

JimP

16. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have had it in both elbows. What worked for me is Vitamin C, double the recommended daily dose and an excercise ball. After two weeks of the "C" and exercise ball, (it said for tennis elbow on the package when i bought it) it was pretty well gone. After about 3 months it was completely gone. JRM

17. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I put up with mine for about 20 yrs,,just had surgery a little over a year ago! BAAAADDDDDD!ouch :O(

18. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

Hey Nipper, I don't think it had anything to do with shooting, do you?

19. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I had tennis elbow in my left elbow. I started a swimming routine 16 weeks ago. I'd never swum laps before, so I bought a swimmers' snorkel so the breathing issue was moot. I'm up to 800 yards four times a week in just over 20 minutes.

My tennis elbow is 95% cured. A little niggling soreness, but no real pain and my strength is back.

The cure, for me, seemed to be low intensity repetitive exercise.

I'm 54. The other day I told my wife I was getting the body of a swimmer. She agreed, and said I did look a little like Shamu!

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bicep tendonitis trap shooting

shotgun shooting tennis elbow

shotgun tendonitis