1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tennessee to arm teachers

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Husky44, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Tennessee has emerged this week as a center of the "the answer is more guns in schools" sentiment following the Newtown, Conn. elementary school shooting.

A member of the Republican-controlled legislature plans during its upcoming session to introduce a bill that would allow the state to pay for secretly armed teachers in classrooms so, the sponsor told TPM, potential shooters don't know who has a gun and who doesn't.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam (R) has said the idea will be part of his discussions about how to prevent a shooting like the one in Newtown from happening in the Volunteer State.

As has been seen following other mass shootings, there's a strong segment of the gun rights lobby that says the answer to events like the one in Newtown is more guns in more places. But they've said the recent massacre shows how important it is to put guns into elementary schools, where even gun-friendly states like Tennessee don't currently allow them.

State Sen. Frank Niceley (R) told TPM on Tuesday he believes it's time for that to change. He plans to introduce legislation in the next session, which begins Jan. 8, that will require all schools to have an armed staff member of some kind. The current language of the bill -- which is in its early form -- would allow for either a so-called "resource officer" (essentially an armed police officer, the kind which most Tennessee high schools have already) or an armed member of the faculty or staff in every school in the state. The choice would allow schools that can't afford a resource officer to fulfill the requirement without having to pay for anything beyond the cost of the training and, presumably, the weapon. But Niceley said schools should use the wiggle room to train and keep on hand armed staff not in uniform.

That's the best way to protect students, he said.

"Say some madman comes in. The first person he would probably try to take out was the resource officer. But if he doesn't know which teacher has training, then he wouldn't know which one had [a gun]," Niceley said by phone. "These guys are obviously cowards anyway and if someone starts shooting back, they're going to take cover, maybe go ahead and commit suicide like most of them have."

Niceley described himself as a person who as grown up around guns his whole life and a strong supporter of gun owners' rights. He tussled with the NRA during his last election over the letter grade he received from the group, though for the most part he's been rated A+.

Niceley's proposal has gathered some high-level interest. Tennessee's governor told reporters Monday that he's open to including it on the agenda for a January conference to discuss school safety. Nicely said he expect the governor "to be receptive" to his plan to use tax money to arm and train teachers.

Asked about concerns from gun control advocates that putting more guns in schools in the wake of Newtown might make them more dangerous, Niceley said the sentiment was naive. Not only does an unarmed school leave itself unprotected, he said, it also presents a tempting target.

"Look at it this way, you never see one of these whacko shooters go to a gun show and start shooting. They don't go down to the police station and start shooting," he said. "They go to places we advertise are gun-free."

School resource officers are paid jointly by the local sheriff's department and the school district. Niceley's bill would allow schools to pay for background checks and firearms training for teachers that woud allow them to be armed as well. Asked if the guns for the trained teachers would also be part of the taxpayer expense, Niceley laughed.

"Well, that's a minor detail in Tennessee," he said. "We hoped the teachers would have them already."

The teachers that would be trained would be volunteers, he said, and would likely carry their own firearms to school.

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Could be the best piece of legislature proposed to start this across the US .

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

Maybe we will see a ground swell as more states arm teachers. John

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thats not going to happen

They arent that foolish in TN

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail and do this right.

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

As a Tennessee resident I am going to have to think about this before deciding one way or the other. I am possibly for armed guards in schools but I believe there will be a problem finding teachers/school employees who could handle a firearm in a chaotic, crowded situation where having to make a decision whether to open fire on an armed killer with children behind the intruder has to be made in a split second. I guess I am thinking of which teacher I would want having a firearm ready for defense among the teachers I had in Tennessee schools in the 50's and 60's. The pool was pretty slim to none. My mother taught in the Nashville public schools for 32 years. I met a lot of teachers, principals, physical education people, athletic coaches, etc. Again, not much to choose from who were physically and emotionally capable and would make good candidates to be trained as an armed guard.
    I hope the legislature would come up with an alternative pool of people to be armed guards and an extensive training program for these people before this legislation passes. The current CCW training is not enough training.

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Great idea but there's no need to pay them since there will be plenty of volunteers, just like airline pilots.

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Found more at this link....

Jerbear

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jonh Galt-You are confused because you have no background in this

an airline pilot goes through pretty extensive training and background checks with mental profiles sometimes- and they make life or death decisions all the time

Second the airline pilot is not defending the airplane- he is defending the 5 foot wide by 8 foot long cabin from people taking over the airplane

We have sky marshals defending the airplane if they are on board

Please become informed on this stuff

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Good for Tennessee! I hope this passes there and then spreads all over the country. It's the only REAL solution.

John C. Saubak

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

"My mother taught in the Nashville public schools for 32 years. I met a lot of teachers, principals, physical education people, athletic coaches, etc. Again, not much to choose from who were physically and emotionally capable and would make good candidates to be trained as an armed guard."

I think this statement says a lot about the kind of people who are "teaching" America's children. If virtually all of them are mentally and emotionally incompetent, maybe that says something about the need to replace them with people who are all around better people, instead of the leftist nut cases who run the system now.

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Eugene, you are showing your ignorance again- don't you ever get tired of doing that? I have more experience and knowledge of airline operations and pilot certification than you can even imagine. You are completely full of crap in everything you said.

13. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I know several teachers and they are VETS and can handle a gun,both male & female. I'm in favor of this law.

Not everyone will fit into this but the ones that do can make a difference.

14. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

good for TN. I hope Texas does something similar. I believe that any person that has a CHL should be able to carry it anywhere they go. EVERYWHERE!

15. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

The Sidwell School where Obummer sends his 2 girls has 11 armed guards and is looking to hire another police officer. This has ALWAYS been this way and DOES NOT COUNT the new Secret Service for his girls. MANY diplomats send their kids to this school. Enough said!!!!

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

Maybe they can start with giving that MARINE in front of the school in Tenn. a M16 !!!!!! He is standing guard to protect the children in that school--no pay,no weapons,but he is a MARINE. May GOD bless them one and all !

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

pretzel has it right

18. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Most of the teachers I know, and I know a lot of them, are not the person you want protecting your kids with a gun. I coach two varsity sports and spend a lot of time at the high school. This is a bad idea.

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

So apparently lotsof24 thinks that teachers should be banned from acquiring CCW licenses because he considers them inferior. Sure thing.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Rick, if that's an accurate description of the typical classroom these days then we should stop wasting the taxpayers money trying to provide an education for those little darlings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.