1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tendonitis Of The Elbow

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wpairishshot, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

I looked this up on here before and saw that the wrist tendonitis was discussed but I have it in my right elbow. Yes I am right handed. I have had this on and off for several years. I went to the orthopedic doc before and thats where I heard the diagnosis. He offered me a shot of cortisone or a wrist splint. Seems the wrist splint keeps you from moving most of the tendons that hurt. Recently I had a flare-up and went back to the doc. He again offered me a shot or physical therapy. I really dont do needles well so I chose PT. The PT therapist said my muscles were in spasm. Those people are wonderful to help out like they do. My flexibility has increased dramatically.
    I am still feeling pain ranging from pretty good to taking an 800 MG ibuprofen and still feeling it. If I take my 3200 out to the club and start lifting it up and down like shooting a round the flexibility diminishes and sometimes the elbow even locks up.

I am going to stay with the Physical Therapist for now, but I have heard of remedies from rubbing WD-40 on the area to heat to ice. As before needles and I dont get along well.I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and how you got relief.

Any suggestions? Please let me know.

Kevin McIlwain

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a mild case of tennis elbow from the recoil of shooting. The Cooper Lastrap elbow pad relieved my symptoms.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I got the injection, and I stopped shooting for a while until it was fully recovered. I shoot a release trigger, so anything less would have been dangerous.

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I have it in my left elbow,(right handed) and have been using Aspercream when I get up in the morning along with my usual morning aspirin. It helps immediately and is getting better.
    Pat Haskins

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have the good fortune of having tendinitis in both elbows having been a professional driver for 30yrs. Happily I can say that it is well under control, but having been through everything short of surgery I feel somewhat knowlegeable about the injury. I'm not going to go into detail but basically what you have is inflamation in the tendons connecting your elbow to your forarm and wrist. Generally this is caused by repetetive motion and hyperextension of the arm.

Having physical therapy, ultrasound, wearing a band around your arm etc. can help speed the healing process, but the most important thing is to identify what physical activity's exacerbate the problem and modify that behavior.

Example: While instructing a new student during a driver training course I noticed He seemed to be struggling with the steering wheel. When confronted he admitted he had elbow tendinitis. I pointed out to him that he was hyperextending his arms everytime he negotiated a hard turn, then I showed him how to handle the steering wheel properly. After he finished training he made a point of thanking me and stated that he believed I made it possible for him to pursue his career.

Good luck, personally I'd take the injection but only from an orthopedist and only after identifying what is causing the problem. The injection hurts like hell, I won't lie, but a day later you should be pain free.

Robert

6. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

aqua punture fixed mine just fine you dont have to belive in it and it works or it dont, what do u have to lose!!! go to a profesonal and it realy does not hurt even when they put them around your ears and head, dont know how it works but it fixed mine. hope you get better soon.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Robert gave an excellent response. You are doing something to stretch and inflame the tendons that extend from the muscles of your upper arm down to your forearm. A band just above your elbow can help but the tendons must rest and heal themselves. Figure out what caused the problem and make the necessary change. Lifting a heavy gun with only your forearm instead of both arms and shoulder muscles could be the problem.

The muscles and tendons in your upper arm must contract with several hundred pounds of force to lift a few pounds in your hand. The system is a simple third class lever. If you stop putting excessive force on the muscles and tendons, everything will take care of itself.

It could be fun to calculate the force required from the biceps muscle to lift 10 pounds in your hand. The arm of the lever is the distance from your elbow to your palm. The force arm is the distance from your elbow to where the tendons from the biceps attach to the ulna bone in your forearm. The resistance arm is the distance from your elbow to your palm. Using my arm
    X times 1.5 inches = 10 times 15 inches. It becomes easy to see how tendons get inflamed.

Pat Ireland

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

For some people copper bracelets seem to help or work. How or why, I don't have a clue. I'm told there are a multitude of things of which I'm clueless.

9. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have some long term permanant damage in my right elbow and shoulder from a sports injury and some of the jobs that we did way too much on my home farm... some of the livestock facilities were just poorly laid out, and made for excessive difficult hand labor (this poor design layout was done by the previous owner).

As a result if I shoot a break open gun, I need to rest the muzzle on a pad or toe pad when not my turn to shoot, if I hold it with my right hand, the elbow joint and soon after than the wrist begin to protest.

The other solution which results in less motion and smoother body movements for me is to shoot my 870, or I suppose any non break open action gun. The way I hold it, when not my turn, does not put the torque and strain on the elbow and wrist joint and things are good.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Like yourself, I hate needels actually get light headed if I see it moving towards me, that said having had a cordisone shot it works. Keep in mind it's a band aide don't over do cause you don't feel the pain work with a PT

11. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Another + for a static strap . The strap needs to secure the tendon to the bone or it won't be effective - - doesn't have to be expensive ; something 3/4" or so wide , like from a back-pack . Also works for tendonitis at the knee but not with the strap on the arm .

3-Strap Charlie ( right elbow , both knees)

12. DocJim

DocJim Member

What was it that the orthopedic doctor told you that you don't understand? Physical therapy--------proven to work. Cortisone injection--------proven to work. Splinting------proven to help. None of the other "treatments" have ever been proven to work (although they have been proven to lighten your wallet). I personally would take the injection and after a while get into an exercise program prescribed by your doctor or physical therapist to prevent recurrent episodes. Most bang for your buck!.............Doc AJ

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I cured tennis elbow by swimming. I got a Finis swimmers snorkel, as all I cared about was the upper body movement and the aerobic fitness. Start slow, and add as you can.

I am up to 1200 yards 3-4 times per week. No tennis elbow, no shoulder issues (which started during coed softball at age 52).

Give it a try if there is a pool near you.

Danny

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

YES inject it! AJ

15. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Was my nurse's picture too much? AJ

16. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Not for me. Now my elbow hurts again, and I think I need a shot!

Danny

17. philk

philk Member

I`d like to inject that .........Get the injection, Doc`s will inject you up to three times in one area then send you to see the surgeon. Had the operation 4 times, both sides of both elbows. The straps can help a lot.

Now my left wrist is bothering me when I`m holding a long gun, my favorite ortho surgeon down the street just put in a new pool...

18. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Physical therapy, acupuncture, wrist braces, elbow straps, and cortisone will all work on some injuries some of the time, but not all injuries all the time. Go with what you are comfortable with, be it the least invasive or the least expensive, and keep trying therapies until you find the cure.
    In my case, or cases as I have had this problem diagnosed in both elbows, I found an acupuncturist who is also a massage therapist. After 8 months of pain in my left elbow, I went for an acupuncture treatment, based on a recommendation from a friend who was cured of the same thing, and after the first treatment the pain was greatly decreased, although the mobility was still restricted. He manipulated the forearm while feeling the movement in the elbow with his other hand, and determined that it still wasn't right. He kept manipulating, and suddenly moved it so the bone (radius?) which was slightly out of position popped back in place. That hurt just as much as the original injury, but the elbow now had full range of motion. It took a couple more treatments before the inflammation settled completely, but after 8 months of pain, I didn't care how many it took.
    When the right elbow was diagnosed with the same tendinitis, I went right back to the same acupuncturist. He treated the elbow with acupuncture, then maneuvered the elbow, and discovered the tendon was out of the groove it should ride in over the bone. Some more manipulation, a vigorous twist, and Voila! the tendon was back in place. Some oral anti-inflammatories, as well as a topical anti-inflammatory cream finished the job, and I have been pain free for several months now.
    The moral of the story being: traditional medical types can possibly cure your injury, but don't discount the non-traditional means. In my case, a massage therapist who knows the body and how it moves was much more effective than 2 doctors and 3 physical therapists, none of whom investigated beyond traditional areas.

19. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Seriously, I've been touting my tennis elbow cure on this site for 2 years. Does nobody want to try swimming vs. shots, straps, surgery, and physical therapy? If you get the swimmers' snorkel, made by Finis, you don't have to worry about sucking water.

Danny

20. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I have this in my left elbow & I'm right hand shooter, but I am left handed, I have fought this for a couple of years what finally helped me, the local massage therapist. My muscles tighten up and mess up my elbow, he can feel the inflammation some time I must follow with heat or ice. I swear by him now!

Deb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting causes elbow tendonitis