1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ten yard stake,what hight?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ivanhoe, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Psycho

"At what hight is the top of the ten yard stake equel to, base of trap machine? or hight of arm? or 16 yard line?"

This is the rule in the rulebook as I read it it would mean the of the shooting posts

"E. FLIGHTS AND ANGLES

Singles targets shall be thrown not less than 49 yards nor more than 51
    yards. Distance measurements are on level ground in still air. Targets
    shall be between 8 feet and 10 feet high, when 10 yards from Point
    B. The recommended height is 9 or 9 1/2 feet. The height at a point
    10 yards from Point B is to be understood to mean height above an
    imaginary horizontal straight line drawn through the post and Point B.
    (See Diagram II)"

As you can see it is listed under E. FLIGHTS AND ANGLES on page 48 there is more information to be read at the rulebook Web site which I have included above.

Bob Lawless

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

The 10 yard stake is best measured as 26 yards from post three and should be in the line from the center of post three and point B on the house. The 10 yard stake is used to measure the height of the target, Target height is measured from the ground level of post three, or any other post assuming the field is level.

Nothing should be measured from any part of the trap machine.

Pat Ireland

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Art, when you get the machine there will be instructions where to put it. It's offset from the center of the house to the left. Pat-Trap even has a little notch to guide you. Then put it about as far forward in the house as you can. Don't worry about Point B when positioning the machine.

Neil

4. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Neil,
    Should point B be in the center of the house. If nothing else but to have straight away targets appear to be in the center?

Another question.... Should the top of the pad and the top of the throwing arm should be in the same plane? Then the measurement for the height post would also be in the same plane. All 3 should be the same height.

Thanks, Just trying to learn!

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You all missed the mans question!!! What is the height of the stake at 10 yards from the trap house? He is talking about the stake you put the T-BAR on
    to set the target height, I would like to know the length of the T-BAR is it
    9 feet 6 inches I think a double T-Bar and the target goes between them, Bottom T-Bar 9 feet top T-bar 9 Feet 6 Inches, target flies between them at
    design RADAR gun speed, forget about distance, it has no effect. This is especially true on UN-EVEN grounds, and long down hill slopes.

If targets are set at RADAR gun speed first, then use the T-Bar,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Dr.Longshot

"You all missed the mans question!!! What is the height of the stake at 10 yards from the trap house?"

Well I read his question and that is not what I am getting. You said .

"He is talking about the stake you put the T-BAR on to set the target height"

It would seem to me he is asking how to establish the high of the stake you put the T-Bar on.

"At what hight is the top of the ten yard stake equel to, base of trap machine? or hight of arm? or 16 yard line?"

He certainly wasn't asking about.

"target flies between them at design RADAR gun speed, forget about distance"

So tell us again. Who missed his question????

Bob Lawless

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

AT WHAT HEIGHT IS THE TEN YARD STAKE EQUAL TO? THE BASE OF THE TRAP MACHINE,
    OR THE ARM.

The height of the 10 yard stake equal to is what, base of the trap, the arm,
    this is very critical to properly set targets with the 9-91/2 ft T-bar

The T-bar sets on this stake at 10 yard distance.

That is what I gathered from his post.

Who is right PSYCHO

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Neil Winston

Isn't this all in the rulebook? Can't we just look it up and follow it without arguing about it?

Neil

9. Neil Winston

If you go to the rulebook, Psycho, you will see that they are both right.

"Target height may also be set based on the height of the target at ten
    yards as measured above the level of the trap arm in the house rather
    than the height as measured from the number 3 shooting station. This
    is the recommended procedure at facilities where the installation of
    traps in the houses is inconsistent as to height."

I've never understood how this advice solves the problem it refers to, but there's the rule. For homework, explain why the above text is well, just weird.

Neil

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Where do I put that 50 yd stake, Trapboy, when I have a 150 deep ravine, 20 yards out from the traphouse???

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use your radar gun to set speed then youll have the distance.

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Get a digital level and set the targets to the same angle and you eliminate the need for a 10-yard stake. If you live in a region where it freezes in the winter, the pad you set the 10-yard stake may heave and make your heights way off.

Right around 21.5 degrees will give you a nine foot target. Then set the speed with a radar gun.

Tim

13. PatMan

PatMan Member

The base that you place the height stake on should be at the same height as the pad where you stand at the 16yd line. If the trap machine is installed correctly, the base of the trap machine will be 12" below grade. Grade being the height of the 16 yd pads. The height of the trap machine is critical for proper presentation of the target. If the trap machine is too low, you will see more of the face, and wind will affect the flight more, and it will also have to travel faster to make it to the 50 yd stake, as it is traveling more total distance. If the trap machine is too high, the target will not be as visable because less of the face is showing.

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I know where I'd like to put the 50 yard stake.....

15. PatMan

PatMan Member

Trapboy1957: Your correct, many clubs install the new automatic trap at whatever height works for them in the existing house, however it makes for a poorly presented target. I cut a section out of the roof large enough for the new automatic trap, and them covered the hole with steel, and repainted the roof. You cannot tell that I covered the cutout with steel, and I gained the necessary height I needed. (4") Pat also makes a turrett that is shorter, it holds 300 or so targets, of course you sacrifice the holding capacity. I feel the position of the trap machine is frequently overlooked, which is too bad because it really does make a difference. ATA also has a maximum of 1 1/2" variance from the 12" below grade which is commonly overlooked. When I upgraded our 14 traps, I found a difference of 11" among the traps. Now I have them within 1/8", our scores for our shoots made a dramatic improvement.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Trapboy.......where the sun don't shine

17. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Really doesn’t matter what height the 10 yard stake is – as long as it does not interfere nor disrupt the vision of the squad. It could even be at grown lever so it could be mowed over. – HOWEVER – The target setting T, or pole, must be of the proper length to set the height of target flight, at the 10 yard marker, to be within the rules, (8 to 10 feet above the elevation of Station 3 at the sixteen yard line. EX – if the 10 yard stake is set at grade (equal to the elevation of station #3) then the target setting T should be between 8 and 10 feet tall (most targets I have set are 9 feet- in which case the setting T would be 9 feet tall or long). If however, the 10 yard stake is get at some other elevation – like say 4 feet below the elevation of station #3 (grade minus 4 feet) then the target setting T would have to be 13 feet tall for a 9 foot target…..etc ……. So it doesn’t matter as long as the target flight is set at the proper height in accordance with ATA rules. I have found that a lot of clubs set the 10 yard and 50 yard stake at grade (top of stake equal to the evaluation of station #3……..but don’t have to as long as targets are set with in legal limits. Or, am I wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting 10 yard steak hoop

trap shooting and 10 yard stake

trap shooting and 10-yard stake