1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Temps vs shell performance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Interesting article in Trapshooting USA-3 shells all 11/8- the speeds are 1090 @110 degrees F,1145 @80 degrees F,1200 @ 50 degrees F. Guess what they all have the same energy. No need to beat your self up with fast shells when its hot.

Phil Berkowitz

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Can't have the same energy if the payload is the same and the velocity is different.
    This is strange, since I'd always heard that the MV drops as the temperature drops. Yet, this says it's the opposite?

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Very Strange after all the years of shooting in cold weather I was wrong .

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Code5 is right ME= W(MV)^2/ 450,411. I've always been told smokeless (progressive burning) powders were quite stable with ambient temperature changes. The military did a lot of testing with rifle powders in the 1930's to make sure rifle cartridges that preformed well in cold weather, would not have to high of pressures in extreme heat. If anything they found pressures will increase in hot weather, drop in cold.

Now primers, and wads are another problem in cold and hot weather. Wayne

Bisi, smokeless powders do not need outside oxygen to burn.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Wayneo, thanks for the info. Your right.

My last post before this makes me look pretty damn stupid, so I'm going to remove it.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

All powders show a decrease in burning rate with a decrease in temperature. With many powders, this change is not great, but with some, it is significant. Alliant typically tests powders at 120, 70 and -20 degrees F.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.