1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Temple Texas police exempt from the law??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jagrdawger, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Temple Texas police assert they are above the law while accosting an active duty NCO. Having some familial connections with law enforcement it is amazing how many are ignorant of the laws they are sworn to uphold and have even worse manners.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/345714/free-cj-grisham

2. 548

548 Guest

So he was walking donwn the road carrying the rifle? I promise you that every passing motorist was calling 911 on their cell phone.

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Shows the level of ignorance of the typical American about gun laws both national and local.

The point is what he was doing was not illegal, the officer CHOSE to make it a physical confrontation. He could have unholstered his weapon before leaving his car, asked the man to place his weapon out of reach while maintaining the advantage and then discussed the situation. Only a stupid person initiates physical contact where he might easily have been disarmed when he could have had the upper hand at distance.

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Both men were at fault here. The civilian walking down the road with an AR style gun is going to be confronted by any policeman, especially considering current events.

If the father had not been obstinate, he could have got out of it without all the fan fare. The first rule of dealing with cops is passing the attitude test.

This doesn't excuse the cops. They were out of line. Still, trying to argue your case to the cop will only get you a ride to jail. They are not there to argue points of law. They are there, like it or not, to enforce what they see as the law. You may win in court, but why go there? Why not just be calm and cooperative on the street so you don't have to go to court? Then, if they try to keep your guns, you'll win big money and get your guns back. Instead, this guy is looking at charges for resisting.

5. Beni

Beni Member

Wow that happened in Texas and not New york this time hmmmmm. beni

6. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Out in an area where I did not see any homes in the video. When I first heard about this story, it sounded like he was strolling down a street in the city.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

The cop was doing his job, trying to inquire about the gun/situation. The gun owner was an armed mouthy threatening asshole. If the gun owner had displayed a calm demeanor and explained his position rather than acting out for the camera, nothing would have happened. Veteran or no veteran, no matter where you are, a cop needs to secure his saftey and then sort out the BS. I'll bet that this was far from the first time this guy bumped heads with the law. He's lucky it wasn't me 35 years ago, for that mouth, not the gun, would have earned him a nightstick up side the head. Get over it.

8. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Bridge, sounds like you are the typical asshole that give good cops a bad name.
    Many cops think they can interpret the law and not enforce it. This citizen was in the middle of nowhere Texas not threatening anybody or breaking any laws.
    Anybody remember the cop that went rogue in CA recently after he go fired for pimping on his bro's for brutality.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Bridge,,,,,,too bad this cop and you aren't good enough to be DNR officers,,,,,,,they deal with people with guns ALL the time,,,,,,,this buffoon (and you from the sound of your post) think that because you have a gun and a badge that "you" are the law, and not just there to enforce it,,,,,,looked like the supervisor needs to READ the laws he has sworn to uphold........

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Texas does not have any laws, but this guy got exactly what he was hoping for. He wanted to record a confrontation with the law. The recording he has will get him know where in a lawsuit. It only strengthens the arrest. Ignorance is no excuse. I would think that even though it is Texas, he is going to have a hard time with legal possession of a gun for a while. In Texas, you can not take guns from law abiding citizen's for any reason what so ever. That is the Constitutional right. The problem is, if there is any disturbance laws, or such laws that where in place restricting his actions, that where broken, prior to being asked to remove his weapons from his possession, he then became a non-law abiding citizen. Which even in Texas, gives law enforcement the right to remove those weapons from him.

The only thing missing from his getup was his camo Army fatigues. Otherwise he was just short of walking down a road in Iraq with a loaded, legal version AR-15, and a concealed weapon, in his mind. I can't for the life of me wonder why the police would confront this guy and ask to remove his weapon from him, and not give them back after he became irate, and stated he was an Iraq veteran. Does not make sense. I mean, it's not like this guy could flip out at any moment, and start shooting at anyone that in his mind is a threat, or anything. He came across as a perfectly stable minded individual.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bridge and the idiot the arrested the guy sound like a lot of small town cops, the small town loser that ends up getting to hide behind their badge and gun

12. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

That attitude has been fostered and nurtured from the top down for decades now. Why is anyone ever surprised?

Anyone in power can do anything they please if they just have the balls to step up. How many Feds went to prison for murdering Weaver and the ones at Waco? Guess why locals feel invulnerable?

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The call. The info, the adrenalin flows and the approach to grab that awful "assualt rifle" strapped on the back of a man walking with his son.

This situation got off to a bad start and worsened from that point on. No one wins in this situation long term.

The fuse was lit when the officer grabbed the rifle strapped to the man thinking he would have control. Common sence says a rifle strapped on must be removed in order to become a danger. The officer was doing his job poorly by grabbing the mans rifle in the first place instead of asking him to lay his arms aside so we can talk. (In my opinion, a gun isn't a weapon till it's used as such?) Game Wardens deal with this all the time! On every stop outside a vehical in a hunting situation? This was a bad to worse situation for all involved because of attitudes, on both parties.

Hap

14. Stl Flyn

The rifle is on a sling. Where did you see the officer trying to remove his weapon? He keeps telling him to remove his hands from the gun. Do you think maybe the officer is holding the barrel away from himself while telling this guy to remove the hands from the gun. I don't see him wrestling with him for possession of his gun.

15. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Exactly what crime did the man with the rifle commit to warrant the cop stopping him?

EdH

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Biggest problem here in this incident, the paranoid PEOPLE calling on their cell phones. IF any did.

The next is obviously, the police department. They lack in the "protect and serve" mentality aspect of being police.

All the policeman had to do was ASK for his name and address call dispatch for verification, Wall la policeman would know he was a "good" citizen and left him alone!!!!!

BUT maybe with the kid packing a video camera, maybe this was one of those "Rotten" policemen who needed caught of camera in order to get rid of him and NO union rep. could protect him from it!

17. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Judging by the video there is a lot of possible footage that was not initially recorded. I wonder what lead up to the circumstances to the contact? We are all making assumptions as to what happened all based on a video that started who knows how long after the contact and an article that was written by what the gentleman carrying the rifle had to say.

If someone was walking down a street with an AR-15 rifle exposed in a tactical sling, regardless if it was rural or not, I can guarantee someone is going to call. Consider the incidents that have been occurring all over this country. Citizens that are not as educated on weapon laws and "open carry" can be frightened.

If an LEO has received a call regarding a male walking with a child down the street carrying a rifle, that LEO has an obligation to contact and talk to this person to find out what is going on. That LEO has every right to do what is necessary to protect himself and the public including disarming this individual. Now, how the LEO goes about doing it can either cause or prevent conflict. But there are some circumstances that no matter what the LEO does the person being contacted is going to have an attitude and is looking for a reason to be confrontational.

I totally can see this individual was asking and wanting to be contacted by an LEO. I mean really who goes walking down the street with an AR-15 strapped to their chest? But let us say he was legitimately carry his rifle for the purpose of protection from the local wildlife. When an officer approaches do you really think having such an aggressive attitude is going to help the circumstances or make them worse? I for one would be very extremely cooperative and not give an LEO any reason to see me as a threat and thus escalate the situation. Do what the man tells ya son.

Like some have suggested if this guy was calm and not trying to wave his street lawyer tactics in the face of the officer it would have gone a lot smoother.

Bridgetoofar, granted I see this boils your blood, but suggesting how things were done 35 years ago does no one no good, nor does it give officers, nation wide, the title they deserve. True back in the day there was some behind the shed shenanigans, but with video equipment of today that just can't happen anymore.

Someone said "Many cops think they can interpret the law and not enforce it..." This is called the Spirit and/or Letter of the law and it is perfectly justified in situation for the officer to make determinations to either effect an arrest or not judging by the circumstances at hand.

LEO's are people too, but in some unfortunate situations, they are held to a higher standard on or off duty. Some times, just like in other everyday people, LEO's are just jerks and don't know how to act or gain compliance with words. I have seen where situations from one LEO were under control until that one LEO arrives on scene and all of the sudden chaos breaks out. The are all human let's not forget this.

It too bad there are those who identify officers as those who were picked on during their younger years. Now that LEO is seeking his revenge on those who caused him emotional or physical pain. Its a shame.

The man being stopped was not helping the situation, but ideally it probably could have gone a different direction if the contact was conducted differently.

Bryan

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why the guy found it necessary or 'reasonable to walk down a public street with a rifle. Does that seem odd to anyone else? We have similar open carry allowances where I live but people just don't carry their long guns around like that. So I can understand why the cop wanted to check the guy out.

Also as the civilian with a firearm you can 'defuse' the incident before it becomes one just in the way to handle the firearm. A good start would have been to drop the mag and open the bolt and ground the firearm. That may seem like a sissy or passive move but think of the guy on the other end - he doesn't know who you are or what your intentions may be. The fact you are carrying a shooter around is his first big clue that something may be FUBAR.

I'm not making excuses for the lack of professionalism on the part of the cop but you can see how his own fear of what could be happening overpowered his rational thought process.

19. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Have always heard that when a person is too sorry, fat, and lazy to work, he can always become a cop. Seems about right in this instance.

GneJ

20. Stl Flyn

This guy wanted to make a propaganda video. That's what he ended up with.

As stated, there is no video of the initial contact, and words. Why not? This guy found what he was looking for. He wanted to video tape his son's accomplishment, of hiking down the road? While being armed with a AR-15 slung to his side. The CCW wasn't enough protection. I would like to see the jury's facial expression in court when he reveals that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cellphone law in temple texas

temple texas laws on walking