1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell us why the Beretta 682 Series is so good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smokechaser, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

As the title suggests -- why is the Beretta 682 series always considered one of the top trap guns around. You guys shooting them or seeing them in action certainly have your opinions...

What say you?

2. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Two reasons for me. I shoot a 686SP

First, I picked the gun up an could shoot it. It was a buddies gun and one day he let me shoot his two Kolars and the Beretta. For me, the Beretta felt like I was pointing my finger and breaking birds, so I bought it.

Second, value. I don't know a lot of people who consider it, "one of the top trap guns". I see a lot of Kolars, Perazzi's, Lutics, CG's, etc and would probably consider those more along the lines of a top trap gun. I think the 680 series is a very good value for the money.

Regards,

Chip Porter

3. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,,

My view point, As far as price, they are a notch - up from entry level
    shotguns, way below the cost of top - of - the - line shotguns.

They will withstand thousands of trap loads, parts are available, you can
    find top - singles, unsingles, o/u barrels of different lengths, all kinds
    of choke tubes, up -grade wood & engraving can also be found.

Not a bad selection, to have a reliable shotgun that will last, might also
    be good trading stock later on ?

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I shoot a pair of 682x guns. I won't try to convince you they are the best shotgun around but they have held up well for me and the maintenance and occaisional repairs is easy enough that I can do most everything on them.

As far as handling, that is pretty subjective but my guns work well enough that I am convinced that my limitations in the trap game exist entirely within me and not my shooting irons.

If I have one gripe about the 682 design, it would be the inertia reset trigger which depends on a rather fragile spring and is something I replace annually to aviod a breakdown. Those spring failures always see to happen when you are at a big match right in the middle of a great doubles string.

5. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

i had a 682x combo always had trouble setting the second trigger had it to beretta and a couple gunsmiths wouldnt even set with heavy loads 3 to 4 fails per 100 it went down the road

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

the price of parts wont kill you ,they tend to be light for factory loads-but I reload for my 2 so I load down.coil springs and replaceable trunnions.they all seem to fit me perfect,upgrades within range of normal folk,nice wide ribs and trim reciever,more choke choices and accesories abound,chrome bores,none of which matters if you cant hit anything with it,but i do very well with mine.
    if you have the chance to shoot and feel one up is the only way to choice for yourself.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

While I don't consider the 680 line to be "top guns" I do believe the represent the best value for your dollar, esp in the 686 Sporting line. They do occasionally have problems with barrel regulation, so you have to pay attention to that, but as long as the barrels are good, you have a gun that will run on minimal and low $ maintenance.

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

have shot Beretta for years,, it goes bang when I pull the triger, and most of the time the birds break,,what more can i ask for

9. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Well I can tell you why I like mine. I switched from Browning to Beretta in the mid 90's because the Beretta 682 was available with a left hand stock and the Browning (at the time) was not. It fit me well and proved very reliable. I've since picked up a couple of more. The triggers on all of them are very crisp. They are a bit on the light side (except for the older x-models)for a competition gun, but I shoot light 1oz loads 95% of the time. I use my oldest gun quite effectively for pheasant and dove. Best of all the three of my 682's together cost less than one K or P gun.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I tried my first 682 for one reason, to get away from ported barrels. I quickly found that once I adjusted the gun and got the fit where I needed it, that I shot good scores with it and was easy to maintain. I now have 5 of them and always on the lookout for another. Not because of reliability issues, but because I like them a lot.

ss

11. twopipe

twopipe Member

love the metal, hate the wood ! they seem to have too much cast for me, usually whack me in the face.

12. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

I've got a Joel Etchen 687 SP Beretta combo as a back up for my K80 combo. I've got the Beretta shooting like my K80 which has been a perfect match. My K80 combo cost me over $8000.00 used, my 687 was slightly over $4300.00 new. Not had any repairs or problems with either and I find myself shooting the Beretta just as much as the K80, go figure...Ron

13. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I too have a Joel Etchen 687 Silver Pigeon II combo set (double and unsingle) barrels. One thing not mentioned here, is that in general, Beretta barrels are interchangeable. So if you have a 687 double barrel, chances are an unsingle will fit your receiver perfectly. This is not usually the case with Browning, Perazzi, Lujic and some of the other common names in trap guns.

Also, on my 687, the adjustable comb and the rib are very stable and lock up very dependably. I was fearful that the comb and or the adjustable rib would wander or come out of adjustment. That is not the case. On my shotgun, once these are set... they stay put. Nice.

14. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Good point about the teeny inertia reset spring. I had to replace one on my Greystone top combo and it was a real fiddly job. But I would guess most guys will never have to do it.

Anyway, I had three: a used top combo 30/34 I got from Hi-Grade, a new Greystone top 32/34 from Joel Etchen and an older unsingle 32/34 bought from a friend. The top singles were a little muzzle-light for my taste, dunno about the current production.

I'd say the trigger is not top notch, not something I realized until I got my Krieghoffs. Still, it's a good solid trap gun.

15. Smiley

Smiley Member

Brought my 682X in 1985 ,had the trigger group redone by German toolmaker in the early 90's after the pivots wore out replaced hammer springs in 2000,did the top lever as the pins were getting sloppy in the breech block holes and that's it shot 200,000 plus rounds though it but will have to redo the barrel pivot pins as the're now ready to be replaced.Have noticed that the later 90's models are not as durable as the 80'models,mine has the old style barrel bluing that even today shows no rust.
    Paul

rnoble3 thanked this.
  16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I have owned a 682 Gold E for two years and it has given good service with the exception of the inertia trigger spring. Four springs have broken during that time and the last one was replaced by Phillip Crenwelge who converted it to a semi-mechanical trigger last month. He also replaced the locking block due to normal wear after about 90,000 rounds. Hopefully it will be a more reliable gun with the trigger work since this is my only complaint.

Doc

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I,have had several and think the older 680 was a better gun than the newer gun in quality of hand fitting on the older model. I have a old EELL top single that I added a set of Optima 30 inch O/U barrels really like the gun I tried 32 inch O/U barrels made the gun very front end heavy so traded for the 30 inch best move I made gun swings better for me but I am old and do not have the strength I used to possess and sure do miss it along with endurance.

18. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

First of all there has never been a Beretta come from the factory with a release trigger, if your trigger won't set the second barrel it's not the gun's fault, it's the person that made the release trigger.

For the people that are having trouble with the inertia spring...just buy a piece of piano wire a little bigger than the original and bend it to the right shape, and you will never have a problem with it again...

By the way....Beretta has been making firearms for over 500 years and dollar for dollar it's the best value for a competition or hunting shotgun...

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

After nine Krieghoffs, all of which were fine guns, I'm shooting my last break-open trap gun - a 2008-vintage JEG Beretta 687 SPII unsingle combo with EELL wood. It feels every bit as nice in my hands, the stock's fuller wrist feels better and my scores are the same.

Ed

20. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Because it is a Beretta, it is that simple, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

baretta trap shotguns 680 series unsingles