1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me you have had a bad day at the range *#@!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

The lowest score I have ever shot per 25 from my handicap yardage was a 19 many years ago. Yesterday I broke a 17 & 14. Rarely do I ever shoot below a 22 but boy did I have a rough day!
    Tell me this was a one day slump! Have any of you done this? EVER?
    NON ATA shoot, did not take my reduction lol.
    Regards
    Rod

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Let me be the first to say that you obviously need to buy a new gun. That is a favorite cure. Ron

3. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

You have yet to shoot your lowest score!

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The day I switch from one eyed shooting to two eyes I shot a 7 and an 11. That was the worst I've ever done!

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Oh yeah, I've shot three consecutive scores from 75 to 82 over two days in singles. Turned out my trigger had a hitch/burr on the sear. After paying those dues, I swapped trigger for one in good repair and had a short yardage tie for win on the last day of the shoot with a 94. The trapgods were playing with me on that particular weekend.

6. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Been there done that and I really feel your pain. Installed a new recoil pad on my gun and shot great. About 3 weeks later I went from shooting 22 or better to bearly breaking 19. This went on for about 2 months. To top it off I went to a registered shoot and proceeded to shoot a 77 followed by 67. That really hurt my average. I finally figured out the problem was the new recoil pad.It is one of those sticky type pads and the toe was catching on my vest and I was constently fighting to mount the gun correctly. I put some slick ease on the toe, problem solved. It only took me 3 months and about 500 targets to figure out. Stupid ought to hurt. I just hope I finally shot my lowest score.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Years ago I sent my regular gun in for service and took out my old first trap gun , a win 1200 that I broke very good scores with . I broke a 12-14 from the 16 yd line and had a friend watch and he didn`t see anything I was doing wrong . I thought I was lifting my head so I tryed another round and low and behold I was back to shooting my usual 24`s . Besides that the gun was lighter and I was over swinging it

8. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

I know it's skeet, but I hold a 23 average. Shot a 13 last week IN A LEAGUE SHOOT!

9. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Started shooting about 6 months ago with no dominance issues. I quickly ran my first 25 and a bad score was a 22 for me. Then one day I picked up the gun and the barell started moving back and forth one me. I could barely break double digits. I then used tape and got back up to the low 20's but could never get back to where I was. Two weeks ago I removed the tape and started shooting in the high 20's again, The picture when looking down the barrel was the same as when I first started shooting. Last week I went back and it kept switching from cross barrel to straight down the barell. Again I could barely make it into double digits. So yes I have had several bad and frustrating days at the range. There is nothing more frustrating then not being able to control what your eyes are doing.

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The last league I was in was 6 weeks of 50 bird program. I didn't shoot a single 25 in handicap. It was still good to get out and be able to shoot.

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,each winter,wheather league shooting or just at the local club,I manage to shoot several 13's,,been shooting 3 yrs. now.I'm leaning towards the needing a new gun theory,,lol,,have to admit though,since the price increase I've reduced what I shoot by 25 birds each time now.That may have something to do with it.Seems the less I shoot,the worse the low scores get.Hmmmmm,I might be on to something there.

Doug H.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!!!!

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, I use to shoot the Sunday 50 target 16 yard events at the Waukesha gun club. One of the guys I shot with was Vic Reinders. It was a cold day Sunday morning and Vic started off with a 13, yes a 13 and Vic was one of the best shooters in the world at one time. His second round he had a 12, total score was 25 out of 50.

Vic's legs cramped up on him so bad after shooting that a friend of mine helped me carry Vic into the club house. After the cramps went away, I asked Vic what happened? He said just one bad day, but there is always next week.

As I was leaving, I told my friend that probably age finally caught up with Vic. Next Sunday rolls around and Vic runs the only 50 straight???? I asked Vic why he shot so poorly the week before? He paused and said he must of lost targets from the neck up, as he didn't forget how to shoot.

I asked Vic if he thought that maybe it was his gun, (a Remington 31 TC)? Vic got upset and started yelling at me stating that so many young shooters put the blame for a bad score on everything else but the guy pulling the trigger.

That August Vic ran some good scores and was in a shoot off at the Grand.
    End of story.
    Steve Balistreri

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

A guy just sent me a PM, asking who Vic Reinders was? I said a college chemistry professor. I suggested that he read up on the history of the sport that you are involved in.
    Steve Balistreri

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The worst day at the range is better than any day working... and that can also apply to fishing, golf or any other avocation...

Sunday 2/12, trying to dial-in my 90T for an upcoming handicap shoot, not at my yardage... I think I had an 8... although it did improve after that!

Anyone who tells you they haven't had a bad day, isn't being completely forthright...

Jay

16. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I tied my lowest caps score at the Dixie Grand this year from the 21 yard line. I started off with a 24 on the first trap, alright!!! gonna hammer them today (or so I thought) next trap was a blazing 17?????? followed by a 21, after I missed the 4th bird I realizes that I was lifting my head. Got my concentration back and broke 24 on the last trap, &^%()&^%$# but on a brighter note I played the Lewis on this event and made a few bucks. I am looking forward to the Southern Grand and the State shoot next month. I will play the Lewis here again in singles and caps, maybe even doubles, till then I practice. Woody

17. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Well,, bad score or would like a bad weekend,,,I HAD a 87 avg. in dbls, shoot a 68, 68, 64, 67 (consistently),,,next day a 83 in singles,,,but my altime low was in '63, I shoot a "0" out of 25, yes I missed them all. T quite shooting trap for 40 years after that. I can think of no other way of "wasting" my money,,I sure enjoy the sport.

Norman

18. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

A few years back, I shot with a team at the Spring Team Shoot in Mason MI. We ended up winning AA first palce. One guy shot a 99, another guy and I shot 98's, one guy shot a 97 and the last shot a 95. (487 x 500)

Two weeks later, I started shooting Spring league at my home club. Started off with a 16. This made me mad so I went and shot another round. 16 again.

Doing stuff like this will get you talking to yourself.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I am a ATA shooter. An have a philosophy/theory/plan I go with to the Saturday Shoot. I do not get mad at myself for shooting a low score because at least one of my weekend scores will inspire me to prepare for the following week. It used to be that I shot all 3 events, and might do poorly at singles and handicap but then tear it up at doubles. But even if all day was poor, I went back out on Sunday and did it again and usually got it together for one or more of the days events. Adn that one or two decent scores would ring in my head thru out the week.

20. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I am glad to know it's not just me this happens to. (Gee whiz, some days I wonder about myself.....) I'm in a kind of (skeet) slump right now. Can't buy a high 8 at the moment.

Thanks, boys. Confessing takes courage. This gives me confidence that I'll recover.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.