1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me how hard 27 yard doubles are?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I ask the ATA about why they didn't include this in their events and they said they did try it once and it didn't go over well, So what do you people think you're avg. would be at this?

2. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Less than D class! I'd be that bad...

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have tried it a couple times and discovered that you don't want to shoot your regular doubles gun if it has fixed chokes. My doubles gun is choked .020 and .034. You have to be REAL fast to get that first shot. This is a game for choked tube guns or a fixed full choke semi auto. We have also shot 30 bird buddy backers from the 27 throwing oscillating targets. Very difficult game, but a heck of a lot of fun.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

That sounds like fun...Gonna try it for S&G's with a few buddies

5. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Veldon Smith used to throw 27 yd doubles from time to time at the IN. gun club on the mid week program night if time allowed. I can remember several shooters being fairly good at it. Not really as different as one might think then regular doubles. I've shot them.. enjoyed it... would shoot them again if I had the chance.

6. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

I wached Dave Kelly shoot doubles from the 27 yd. line at the Martinez GC

very impressing , naturaly he won

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It is only as hard as you make them, you do need tighter chokes.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Wow. Ideas for this Thursday, cant wait... I know some of you Northside Sportsmans Club shooters are on here. Bring ammo. Wobble doubles, here we come!

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Try oscillating 27yd doubles.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Twice as hard as 27 yard singles. LOL. Not really, but it sounded good.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I once tied with Gene Zirkelbach at Brittany Shooting Park and made the mistake of letting him take me to the 27 to shoot them off. He cleaned my clock.

12. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

We play a game at our small club that someone named "polish doubles". Shooters stand at pad positions directly between two trap fields at the 27 yd. line. Both traps are allowed to oscillate as normal. On the call, a target from each house is released simultaneously. Lots of fun and pucker factor. High Scores? If you have to ask, you're not a sport!
    Lyle

13. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

For a fun game we have set our pat trap on doubles and full wobble. Not very good scores but lots of fun.

14. Dr.Longshot

The idea here is to break up all the ties and if enough entries pays 4 places ties divide 40/30/20/10. It makes trapshooting interesting and breaks the HumDrum of 200 singles which for me is a miss and out. 200 singles is more of an endurance test not ability, 100 singles is enough in any event, the 27 yard doubles would draw a lot of spectator interest.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

They are a hoot. I won a doubles shootoff once that was tied after 3 rounds. I suggested we take it back to the 27....the other shooter agreed....

Ron Burr

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

not hard, just embarrassing.

Chuck

17. Dr.Longshot

Try it and find out

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

So why would this not be a good addition to ATA shoots?

19. RLC323

RLC323 Member

If I recall correctly when the ATA tried this a few years back they were shot from the 25, which was tough enough.

I believe that the idea did not catch on because of the difficulty. Nobody wants to spend money to look bad. Doubles from 16 are a tough enough challenge for many, and if you add in some wind it is easy to look bad from the 16. I did not shoot registered doubles for a few years, even though I was pretty good at singles because I did not want to card some 60's doubles in front of everyone.

Shooting 25 pair practice from the 27 with your pals, and you all miss a third of them is a hoot. Asking someone to pay to have that score registered is a different story.

20. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Tried them once at my local club several years ago, Think I actually shot better doubles score from the 27. Either way, it was a blast.

Smokey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.