1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell Me About This Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

I just got this, its a JC Higgins model 20. What can you tell me about this and the strange attachment on the end. Thanks, Rich

2. richrob

richrob TS Member

another pic

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

looks like a weaver compensator(similar to a cutts)- or there was another device with this look that actually changed choke between shots- it was inertia operated

regards from Iowa

Gene

Gene

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

It kills any value for the gun. No one today likes them at all.

5. ouch

ouch Member

Sold by Sears in the late 60's early 70's. I think they were made by High Standard for Sears. Mine has a Poly-Choke. I would say Gene is correct about your "compensator". Mine has a different style fore end, And except for not having a box it is like new. Even have all the original paper work. Richard

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

These were made by High Standard, Model 200 is their designation.

I have seen them, and they usually are a very good dollar value for a knockabout gun. Only problem is the choke tubes, might be ding nigh impossible to find.

If I found one I might keep it at the trailer or in the trunk of the car just in case a hunting opportunity came around unexpectedly.

HM

7. richrob

richrob TS Member

After I cleaned it up a little I was able to see that the compensator is factory, or at least is a JC Higgins. The chole screws into the end of it, but there is about a 1" gap from the end of the barrel to the choke tube. Wouldnt that cause wad hangups?

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

fiber wads-- seperate or are slowed down by the choke so they didnt blow the pattern

like a tula choke

Gene

Gene

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It works the same as a Cutts. the choke opwning is much bigger than it would be if it was in the barrel, but it regulates the pattern, since the shot charge is still in the cup.

Actually my Kolar Cutts has more travel than that. Go shoot it at the pattern board and make up your own mind.

HM

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

The strange attachment is called RUST! That can looking attachment wasnt al that uncommon back in those days. Lots of them could be seen in the hands of folks that wore tu-tu's and tights.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Clean it up and shoot it. Not a bad gun at all. Or, cut off the contraption and make a nice slug gun.

Pat Ireland

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Numnuts, get a gun with one of those THINGS at the end of the barrel and a gun that does not. Take both to a gun show and see which one people are interested in and see which one will give top dollar. It will not be the one with a ugly end to it.

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

A friend showed me a model 12 that he inherited from his father. They found it in a closet, and everyone had forgotten he even had it. It had a Cutts-like attachment on the end of the barrel, but other than that, it was a nice old pre-64 Winchester.

I noticed this attachment had no markings, and was installed rather roughly.

He said he remembered his Dad had gone to Michigan (he thought) hunting, and they required all guns have a device like this installed. He said he remembered his dad was upset that he had to have this installed before he could go in the field.

I don't know what kind of hunting they were doing, but does anyone have any information about this device, and if not Michigan, what state required this be installed?

Danny

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My first Trap gun when I started in the early 60's. Sold it to a good friend who was promptly KIA in Southeast Asia. Greatest wad debris collector ever. More than one puller objected to the muzzle blast created by my "grenade launcher". Broke 19 of 25 on my first try at Trap with it-what a gun!!

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

If you want cork wads to try with it I have a little less than a bag of old Ljutics you can have for the cost of the postage. They stand 7/8" tall and look to be 1 oz. 12 ga. wads.

I can be reached at joekuhnatcomcastdotnet

16. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

I had one just like it when I was in college. The research I did on it then indicated it was made by Stevens and the choke device said "Power Pac" and supposedly it was made by Pachmayr or at least marketed by them. The one I had worked really well, I never had any plastic build up at the end of the choke, and it kicked less than the 870 I replaced it with. I gave it to my father and it sort of disappeared after he passed away, one of my brothers or brother-in-laws got it I guess.

Jim Pettengill

17. richrob

richrob TS Member

Thanks for all the input. From what I'm told it hasnt been fired in at least 20 years so I wanna give it a good cleaning and lubrication before I give it a try. Anybody know if these breakdown, trigger drop out? -Rich

18. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

All I know about this gun is that it's rusty.

19. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Shoot the gun with any shell you want , the wads won`t open up , I`ve shot mine since the early 70s, and haven`t had to clean any plastic out of the choke yet.

Listen to gun1357, he knows what he`s talking about, probably owns, or has owned one also.

Tom R.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

tommyterex, rest assured that this model choke tube was a wad cup collector when using our 60's vintage plastic wads. There may have been similar chokes on different models but this one performed as stated!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.