1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about the Americase gun case

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tedingraham, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

I need a case for my SKB 85TTR 34" unsingle. The Americase Trap Single with High Rib at Gamaliel's (see above link) looks nice, but top end of my budget. Any opinions?
    Ted
    Beavercreek, Ohio

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've got 6 of them, need I say more? Never had a gun damaged by air travel.

3. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Heavy,but they do what they're supposed to do.

4. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

Thanks EuroJoe and twoatloweight for the feedback. Sounds like it's a case that'll last and protect my gun.

Ted
    Beavercreek, OH

5. tj303

tj303 Member

It will protect your gun but they are HEAVY!

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

I got tired of lugging a heavy case up my basement steps. The Americase is a great choice for air travel but for back and forth to a local gun club I think its overkill. I'm now using a Beretta full length case if I'm not taking both barrels of my combo set. Otherwise its a Boyt soft breakdown case that will hold two barrels. Those aluminum cases look great and will protect your gun but the soft cases I'm using are a lot lighter and offer plenty of protection for what I need.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

They do what they were designed to do, PROTECT YOUR GUN But Heavy

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

First of all, are you buying a case to transport a gun by "air" or is it to be shipped by "ground"?! If the case is only expected to provide interim transport to/from a range while with you in the car/SUV, then an Americase, in my opinion, is more case than you may need. Can you provide a bit more information on its intended purpose?!

There are plenty of cases out there... help us to help you!

regards,

Jay

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

They have a set of wheels and a handle that attach with velcro which allows us 97 lb. weaklings to navigate through airports with the case and contents.

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

They are a great case but if you are going to use it by air make sure you buy the cover that is an extra---I sent my K-gun by Spirit Air and they marked it
    FRAGILE on both sides---Well the case was brand new and it was all scuffed up when I returned---Looked like it went through a war---gL---SJB---

11. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Got to agree with southjblue, Same experience here!

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The gouges are on the case, not the gun!! I've seen baggage handlers THROW the cases in and out of airplanes. I use lighter cases for to & from the GC, Perazzi, Beretta, John Hall, etc.

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Too heavy to use for anything but shipping Gun. Get a heavy duty slip type case to carry gun back and forth to the range..I have 2 Americases and never use them..SMOKIT

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

You are right Joe but the cover will save the case---I now put a sized piece of cardboard under the cover---End of any gougeing---SJB---

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Mike Poore. Get a SKB case for all your car travel needs to clubs and only get the Americase if you need to travel on a airline!!! The americase is just to heavy for local and driveable shoots. Break-em all. Jeff

16. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I have a 'bulletproof' aluminum 2 gun breakdown case from Cabela's that goes in their wheeled duffle bag.

One gun, the case and the bag weighs about 25 lbs, so I can put my shooting bag with my ears, eyes, gloves, vest etc in it and it makes 50 lbs and then I take another suitcase with me to fly anywhere.

Every time I have flown, despite the fact it is declared as a firearm, it still comes out on the regular belt with all of the regular luggage. You can't tell it is a firearm unless you x ray it.

17. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided on the Americase. Considered the SKB gun case with foam, but I wanted the best protection for my gun. IMO, the weight of the Americase (20lbs) is a plus. (Some of us drive big 4wd SUVs and pickups back and forth to the grocery store. Overkill or safety?)

I will use it only to transport my gun to and from the range in my car. Just think of all the free exercise I'll get lugging this 33lb case plus gun and stuff around. I have no plans to fly with my gun. But then again, a year ago was the first time in 40 years I'd fired a gun. Who knows, maybe next year I'll be flying to the Grand in Remington or Winchester's corporate jet. When I buy equipment, I look for the best I can afford (then add a more), and that I can grow into.

Ted, Beavercreek, Ohio

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Does Pelican make a shotgun case? I used Pelican cases for work equipment, and they are great. I have an Americase which is extremely heavy, and a Perazzi hard plastic case (has been wonderful for air travel), a Beretta hard plastic case for my combo (which seems really nice, but I haven't flown with it yet), and then I also have a John Hall case (don't use it anymore). The Americase is a trophy, so I don't use it. It's embroidered on the inside.

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

http://www.coloradocustomcases.com.

Check out this site before you buy an Americase. Better than Americase and likely cheaper.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Pelican makes a number of shotgun-friendly cases. I presently own a Browning Travel Vault, take-down version made by Pelican. I have owned and used this case for 10+ years and numerous flights.

Lockable and indestructable. Foam is cut to fit. Heavy, but incorporates wheels and foldable handle.

Best airline case made for a firearm... best cases made to protect ANYTHING...

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.