1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

A little background first. I am a complete neophyte (can I say that here?) to loading for shotguns but a long time pistol reloader (30K+ for USPSA/IPSC).
    I have been shooting Gunclubs while gathering MEC loaders and now have a barrel full of hulls. I was also reading about Alliant E3 powder and wanted to put together some 1 ounce trap loads. After visiting the Alliant website for recipes I saw that the only primers they list with Gunclub hulls are Remington 209's. At present I have 5K of the Winchester 209's and would like to use them. Can I? Is there that much difference in primers that only the listed brands should be used in a recipe? Educate me please.

Thanks,

Pat

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I would contact Alliant, see link above, rather than trust internet advice. Mark

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If you are loading modestly, you could substitute the Winchesters. If you are loading as hot as possible, then stick to the recipe. The Remington primer is said to be a bit cooler than the Winchester but none of it is drastic. A call Alliant or the feedback right on their home page might be the safe idea.....breakemall

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If I were you I would use the Winchester Primers, and I would use Promo Powder it is reasonably priced, around here at $78.00 per 8 lbs, load it like RED DOT
    but weigh the Promo by weight to match RED DOT.

I load 1 oz in STS hulls w/ 20 grs Promo. about 1250 fps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's never a good idea to assume substitutions of any components can be done safely. As advised, its best to either contact the powder manufacture or follow the published recipes.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too say call or E-mail Alliant and find out what their powder Tech reccomends with a Win. Primer. That said the Win. primer is a bit hotter so if you loaded 3/10's to 5/10's lighter with the powder drops it should be pretty close. But always follow published loads from the powder company whose powder you are using. Never substite primers, wads, or hulls and figure its close enough!!! Good Luck with your shotgun loading. I'm sure you know to use a scale to find the correct bushing to use. Also you will want to check powder drops every time you change powder kegs and get a new lot number of powder, and every once in a while never hurts as well. break em all Jeff

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Call Alliant and ask for a tech. I've got a friend that subsitutes the Win and Remmy 209's all the time. He never loads to the max. Click on the link for some info.

Wayne

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Pat, in shotshell loading, you have kinks, quirks, leans, nudges ... and THE.PERFECT.ONE-OUNCE.LOAD.

The recipe for THE.PERFECT.ONE-OUNCE.LOAD is as follows:

- a RemChester Hull ... and you got a barrel of them.

- 17 or so grains of a 'one ounce' powder (e3 is a peachy-fine 1oz powder)

- 'medium strength' primer (Rem/Win/Fio/NS/Ched)

- a RemChester 1oz wad or clone

Bingo ... majiic just happened: you made THE.PERFECT.ONE-OUNCE.LOAD.

It will clock abt 1175-1225fps and less than 10,000psi.

Bob

9. PatMiles

I'll dial up the good folks at Alliant tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Pat

10. kene

kene TS Member

Pat -- The Lyman 5th edition has some recipes for 1oz loads you are looking for: Rem hulls with E3 powder and Win 209 primers.

17.0 gr with TGT12 wad gives 1194 fps [7600psi]
    17.0 gr with WAA12SL wad gives 1147 fps [8800psi]

18.0 gr with TGT12 wad gives 1258 fps [8900psi]
    18.0 gr with WAA12SL wad gives 1258 fps [9600psi]

RCBS book did not have anything other than Rem209 primers

kene

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

He has Remington Gun Club hulls. The Alliant website does NOT list any recipes using Remington Gun Club hulls, E3 powder, and Winchester primers. It has lots of choices using Winchester AA hulls. Mark

12. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It can sometimes be difficult to get Winchester 209 primers to seat fully in Remington hulls when loading on progressive loaders. Remington 209's are more rounded and the primer pockets mach this profile. Winchester 209's have a squared off profile and have to displace some plastic in order to seat fully. I try to stick with Remington primers in Remington hulls. If I need to use W209 in Remington hulls, I use a single stage MEC 600 Jr to deprime and seat spent W209 to swage the primer pockets. This only has to be done once.

Michael Goines

13. PatMiles

Thanks for the info gents. All good stuff, but then that's why I hang out here.

Pat

14. kene

kene TS Member

I agree with mag410 about using rem primers in rem hulls ... in general I like to use the same brand of primer and hull even tho the 209s are "standard" -- there is probably enough tolerance in the standard to make me want keep things as trouble free as possible. the tolerances associated with putting a primer in a hull are tight enough as it is so that is my thinking -- it is not like wads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.