1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tell me about powders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On a different page..

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

He also likes them because he loads misc. Eurotrash straight-wall hulls and the fluffy powders take up more room and make his wads set taller.

RD and Clays are 'fluffier' than 700X (in that order).

The 'fluffy' champ is REX-0, however.

Bob

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Forget that BS and just stick with Promo it will do everything you need in a 12 ga trap load. Keep your reloading simple.

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Keep in mind that burn charts vary by publisher......a powder,say a 5.....and a 15....MAY actually be the same........If you have a group of powders in a burn range, the order may be just the publisher wanting their powder on top of the list.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Burn rate charts are almost useless when selecting a load or powder. You need to look at the data for the powder you are considering, to see if it fits your needs. I don't use Clays or Clay Dot (similar) for loads over moderate 1oz, except for VERY light 1 1/8 in tapered hulls. In straight walled hulls like the Federal Gold Medal, it is a different story. Red Dot is fine for a wide variety of loads. 700-X is a denser powder and will also work for a wide variety of loads. The powder that Shooting Coach might be referring to is Solo 1250. It's a fairly slow burning powder and will give decent velocities with reasonable pressures. In large capacity straight walled hulls, it works ok with handicap loads. Solo 1000 is faster and would be used for lighter loads.

Powder and component selection is best done using reliable published data. Pressures should be kept around 8000 to 9500 PSI for an extra margin of safety. Powder drops should be checked with a scale, especially when opening a new jug of powder. Loads should be assembled AS WRITTEN with NO component substitutions.

The key is safety and selecting a load and components that provide the desired performance while keeping pressures within reasonable limits. A simple change in primers can have a dramatic effect on pressures. Even a deeper than normal crimp can raise pressures dramatically. Shooting Coach has apparently selected some loads that work well for him and give a little margin for error. A little common sense can go a long way.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Why don't you send a DM to Shooting Coach??? and Quack Shot is 100% right.. Coach uses alot of Rex and Solo..

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

BeBop, I don't know where you found that burn rate chart, but IMR 700X and Alliant Red Dot are ALMOST identical in volume/weight and burn rate. A Mec #29 bushing will drop 17.1 grains of Red Dot and 17.5 of 700X, according to Mec's web site. The link is for Hodgdon's burn rate chart. Wayne

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Wayneo, in real life, that is not true.

9. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

10. BryceNZ

BryceNZ TS Member

Burn rate charts are a vague guide to a powders POSSIBLE suitability for certain applications and that is about all and even then other factors like the bulk density and kernel size of the powder enter into the mix, not just burn speed.

You'd be foolish to determine a powder weight to start loading with based on the powders relative position to another powder on some burn rate chart.

Powders burn at different rates depending on the pressure the load generates as well as the specific cartridge they are loaded into etc etc ..... In a certain loading powder A might behave faster than powder B and yet in a different application powder B might behave faster.

As pressure increases a small increase in powder charge can result in a bigger increase in pressure than if you were loading at a lower pressure range and added powder.

Adding powder in progressive increments doesn't increase pressure and/or velocity in the same progressive/linear fashion.

At a certain point adding more powder can lead to a load that is outside the powders correct operating range and result in an increase in pressure and a decrease in velocity at the same time.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Shooting coach stated : "I prefer slower,fluffy,single based powders"

I like my steaks rare. My wife likes them medium.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I like to stay in the low 9000 psi range.. Some of the powders made.. all perfectly safe usually run higher than that..for my desired loads.. Not speaking for Coach.. but I think we're on the same page..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.