1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about CRV's and RAV-4's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

If you own one of these, please tell me the pros and cons. I am going to buy one or the other during the next week, haven't yet driven either but will soon. Thanks for your help and opinions.

bustclays

PS: I shoot a 32" barrel and am confident that my favorite trap guns will fit in both (That is the main requirement!)

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

The CRV is made by Honda and the RAV4 is made by Toyota. Since you have less than a week to decide, just flip a coin.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

buy a subaru. i own two of them and there great. Crv will hold value more than the rav 4.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My wife has a 2004 RAV4. It's been totally reliable. Gas mileage was advertised as 22 city, 28 hwy, and it gets exactly that. It's very sure footed on slippery surfaces. 2004 saw the introduction of a larger engine, which had more power, less pollution and better economy. The interior is roomy, and the back seats can even move rearward for more legroom. We comfortably drove (four of us) from Portland to Omaha, then up to the Bad Lands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Tetons and back home. The only criticism I have is that it's not hitch friendly for pulling a small trailer because of the rear door design. But, the rear cargo floor is very low, giving a large amount of cargo space. Also, I'm tall enough that the sunroof option was mandatory, as it gave me a little more head clearance (which I'd need on most cars anyway, including the CRV). We'd buy another RAV4 if we were in the market. I often swipe the RAV4 because it gets better mileage than my '71 Land Cruiser.

Interestingly, the CRV was our second choice. A close second.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont like how the RAVA4 rides but Toyota has good reputation and resale

consider the subaru Forrestor or Nissan Rougue also

test drive them all- they will sort themselves out for you

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Wife had a Subaru Forrester. The gas mileage of the little flat 4 is very disappointing (under 20 in town, 21 on a trip). My V-6 Dodge van gets 21 in town and 28 on a trip. Noisy, squeaky, rattly with an annoying exhaust system vibration at idle the the geniuses at the dealership have not been able to locate. Wind noise above 50 mph sounds like an open window.

Secretary owns a RAV4. No leg room in the front passenger's seat for a 5'11" 178 pound office manager. Rides like a buckboard and moans and rumbles out of the cargo area. Best mileage of the 3 but you pay for it in flimsy construction and lack of usable interior space.

Receptionist owns a CRV. Again, crappy mileage for an engine that small (19/24) but the best interior and the most usable space of the 3. The '07s have the lift up rear hatch; the barn door of the earlier models was ridiculous. Really noisy OEM rubber and not the most sure-footed of the 3 in the wet, but buy the Honda; you can always junk the tires and buy something that works.

Morgan

7. emm2

emm2 Member

Bustclays I hope that Browning 28 ga. is working for you. I don't own either one but work on a number of them. Both are good quality. Honda as a rule gets better gas mileage and have a more spacious interior. Toyota has a proven track record in quality but are having issues with electrical motors like power windows and locks. Good luck with your choice. You won't be sorry with either. Shane

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Get the RAV 4 with the V-6. It is a Swiss Army knife of a vehicle; is fast and reliable and does so many things well. Wife wishes she opted for one (in retrospect) vs. her Infiniti GX 35 (all wheel drive) due to the versatility she misses in a small suv. The CRV is a girl's car.

9. BustClays

BustClays Member

Hi Shane,

So far the Browning 28 ga has worked just fine, haven't shot it yet but certainly do fondle it alot. About cars, I am going to test drive the bunch, but I have a lead on a Honda Pilot, 2005, EX-L, 28K miles for under $20K. The extra space appeals to me and I have never minded getting "good" used stuff. Thanks everyone for your help and, as usual, friendly advice.

bustclays

10. redix

redix TS Member

Consider the Rogue. Great ride with super features.

11. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Toyota FJ Cruiser ( TOP SHELF ) Great Vehicle

12. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Don't dismiss the small Jeeps, the Liberty and the Patriot. The Nissan Rogue, has more features, better fuel economy and costs thousands less. The CRv has priced itself out of the economy market and the RAV4 has no resale value.

13. BustClays

BustClays Member

I will probably get a used 2006 PILOT for about $22,000. Only front wheel drive, but I live in FL and haven't used 4WD during the four years I've been here.
    Thanks all, Happy New Year.

bustclays

14. bgf

bgf Active Member

bustclays,

My friend just bought a new RAV-4. He likes it alot...all #300 of him. The one grip he has is the rear door. It is a swing door instead of his old hatch and tailgait design. It gets in the way and is not good to open when next to traffic.

Really look at that feature.

Bernie

15. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I bought a Honda Pilot in 2004 for my wife. I have tried to sell it twice as I trade frequently. NO both times. I think she loves it so much that she will want to be buried in it, and it will probably last that long. An outstanding selection I would bet you will be very happy with it.

16. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

My wife was issued a 2003 CRV as a company car which she promptly put 80K miles on it in 18 months. We liked the CRV so much we bought it from her Company when they got her the next one. It now has 130K and has been one of THE most reliable vehicles we've ever owned. I just returned from a cross country 5K trip with it in November.

The AWD works very qwell in MT snow and ice,especially with REAL snow tires .

Great vehicles, that hold their value very well. An Americase with a 30" K gun fits crossways nicely in the rear too.

FN in MT

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I recently leased a 2008 CRV for my mother - nice, no comlaints, came out of a Pilot. Question do you require 4WD? I test drove a number of cars with my mom and one that was very roomy and had a lot of pep was the Tsion (sic?) XB.

Boxy looks are bit out-there, but it was comfy and offers a tremendous amount of legroom in the rear as well as storage. The automatic trans w/front wheel drive was peppy, pretty quite and EPA estimates were good.

I think I would consider one of these when my Exploder is FORD.

Jay Spitz

18. BustClays

BustClays Member

The deal is done, I now own a 2006 Honda Pilot EX. Nice ride, plenty of room and great driving response. I really appreciate all the comments and I know my shotgun will fit.

bustclays

19. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Electric Motor problems with Toyota. If the car is made in Japan it will come with DENSO electrics which are bullett proof, If it is made in USA it could have USA made electrics and yankee made electrics are not famous for reliability, better than Lucas (The Prince of Darkness) but never the less wanting in the reliability stakes

Argus Tuft

20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ford escape is more car than rav4 or crv.Drive all of them and find out for yourself. If you bought a pilot you bought a lot more than the rav4 or crv what made you change?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barn door crv