1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell all New England journalists about this...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mtimney, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Journalists on Target: Guns, Bullets and News Copy
    Journalism Workshop on Reporting on Firearms and Gun-Related Issues

Keene State College’s Department of Journalism will offer a free, one-day workshop Saturday, January 12th for journalists who would like to do a better job of reporting stories that involve firearms. The workshop, entitled, “Journalists on Target: Guns, Bullets and News Copy,” will involve both classroom and field work, including a ‘live fire’ demonstration and an opportunity for participants to examine a variety of weapons.

According to Mark Timney, Keene State College (KSC) Associate Professor of Journalism and co-coordinator of the workshop, news stories about guns, especially stories about gun violence, are rarely as informative as they should be. Given the recent mass shooting in Newtown, CT, Timney insists increased precision and context is necessary when reporting stories of this magnitude.

“Most journalists aren’t very familiar with firearms, and as a result they can end up leaving out important details when, and even if, they report specifics about the guns used,” he said. “This lack of precision can make it difficult for news consumers to make reasonable judgments about the relationship between guns and crime for example, or about the issue of gun control, to use another example. A lack of context in such stories can also lead to unintended sensationalism,” he said.

The other co-coordinator of the event, Chad Nye, KSC Assistant Professor of Journalism, believes the workshop will assist new and veteran journalists in developing critical knowledge about firearms.

“This is a workshop for reporters who don’t know the difference between a .22 and a 20 gauge,” Nye said. “But it’s also for reporters with some gun knowledge to learn about the lethality of different types of ammunition, magazine capacity and rates of fire, and the difference between an assault rifle and a hunting or sporting rifle.”

The workshop is limited to 20 participants and applicants will be accepted on a first-come basis. Journalists can apply by emailing Mark Timney at mtimney@keene.edu. The workshop will begin at 9:00 a.m. at Cheshire County Fish & Game Club in Keene, New Hampshire. A simple lunch will be provided at noon, and then the class will resume with the live-fire portion of the workshop.

###

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Never let the boring true facts get in the way of a sensational hysterical headline.

Eric

3. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Most anti-gun journalists leave out important facts intentionally. Last night on the CBS evening news Anthony Mason did a story on Chicago's over 500 murders and the ending sentence was most were committed with guns. Never did he mention that any of them were gang related. Not important? Or anti gun bias? ed nichols

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Mark, are you part of the family that has Timney Triggers? Good luck with the class.

Wayne

5. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Wayneo... Al Timney was a third cousin of mine...but my mother and I married into the family so I have no real blood relationship with the family. The last time I saw him was at the Grand American in 1977.

Thanks for your best wishes too, Wayneo. This is the second time I've run this class in the hope of improving the quality of reporting on gun-related stories. I truly believe that a vast majority of journalists strive for the truth and to be fair, but a vast majority of journalists know very little about guns and as a result sometimes report on guns in a way that makes the stories appear biased and/or in a way that allows anti-gunners an upper hand. YES>>>> There are some journalists who let their personal opinions into stories, but they are in the minority. Unfortunately, the American media is now controlled by 'bean-counters' rather than 'newsmen' and 'newswomen.' I could tell you hundreds of stories about journalists who tried to report the truth as best they could but ran up against the most dangerous bias of all-- corporate bias!!!

Best New Year to all.
    Mark Timney

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Good luck on the class and if it seems to work have one once a month, the more informed journalists there are the better for us

And some might even like the sport and get into it, that would be a plus

7. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Thanks, Cat!

Mark

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If it bleeds it leads.....Who care about the details? Certainly not the reporter, journalist, or talking head.

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

You married your mother? Strange, strange indeed.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Now blizz...the man is trying to be part of the solution.

Hats off to you, sir. But I wonder...do the participants come away with the feeling of, "I had no idea guns were so destructive!" Or do you get the sense it's a positive experience for them?

11. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Some time ago, one of the BIG name reporters went to Chicago to story on GUN violence.

He was on/covering a walking beat with a COP when somewhere near by gunfire was heard.

Reporter: "lets go arrest somebody!"

COP: "why? I'll will still be doing the paperwork when they are back on the street!"

Reporter: "BUT IT WILL GET A GUN OFF THE STREET!!!"

COP: "if I can't get and keep the %*%%^*%^*(%&^$&*%E#$@$#!#% off the street what good will that do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????"

reporter: "ANY gun off the street is a victory right!?"

COP: "ONE scum bag S***head off the street would be a victory! the system will not give us that!"

The reporter spent the rest of the sagment on the the evils of guns. While the COP rolled his eyes and acted like he really wanted stick the S***HEAD in garbage can.

Growing up around COP's, the real story, of crime is the system not locking away the criminals! and

the blaming everything else for the crime!

AL

12. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Buzz-- This is the second time we've done the semincar...so I haven't had enough people through to really tell you anything definitive. But, my impression is that half of the reporters know next to nothing about guns and are a little overwhelmed with the info about the different types of actions, types of ammunition, etc., etc.

I do think they leave knowing that the issue is even more complex than they thought. So far, I'm glad to report that none of the reporters have had an obvious anti-gun bias. They were there to learn more so they could avoid bias and inaccuracy.

Mark T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.