1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Television for Clay Target sports

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapjournalist, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapjournalist

trapjournalist TS Member

Just wondering how many who participate here would tune in to a show completely about clay target sports on the outdoor channel if one were created and aired.
    Al Hague

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Remember "Star Shot?" It was tried and failed. Perhaps, to boring?

3. trapjournalist

trapjournalist TS Member

That was an intersting show but it primarily went off the air with only and entertainment premise. I have talked to several who woked the show. The show I am talking about would have lifestyle segments, instructional segments and event coverage in not only trap but sporting clays and olympic disciplines. Celebs perhaps who enjoy shooting sports as well as travel a dnlocation segments. More news style than entertainment including whats new in the sports. Just an idea in the early stages of development. The wjhole purpose of the show would be to educate and interest people in participating.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Most of these games don't film well as in it is difficult to get the shooter and the target in focus at the same time. So a lot is lost.

Beyond that the sport really isn't a spectator sport even when you get to see it live. -Kind of boring unless its someone you know in a shoot off or about to finish a clean run.

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would watch it, as long as Bob Costas is not on it. Occaisionally there are some good shows on the Outdoor Channel, and I try to catch them when I can. Good luck in developing your idea. Charlie

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think that shooting clay sports is so much a mind game, that watching the same repetitive shooting becomes boring, IMO. Explaining the techniques, and experience may help some, due to the fact that you are hearing what should be done to be successful, but when watching the actual shooting it is hard to see those points, because it is so much a mind game. That is why it is so much better to be shooting, instead of watching, IMO.

The other segments you talk of may interest some, but the hard part is getting the watchers to be interested enough to watch the whole show, IMO.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

i would watch more interesting than golf by a long shot

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

How bout a segment profiling different clubs around the country/world and the products OH THE PRODUCTS. I would tune in reguardless. It may even make it to my top slot on my DVR.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I liked watching STARSHOT, and would participate, especially for GRUDGE MATCHES

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Starshot was pretty uninteresting. I think the premise was bad. People like to watch a sport being played the way they play it - except better. That's why
    golf is so popular it has it's own channel.

I have seen some good videos of international trap and skeet, the use of flash targets, and some sporting clays video where the target was visible - sometime using a split screen which showed both the shooter and the target breaking. The "Shooting USA" show with Jim Scouten did a good job showing the Martin $100,000 shootoff at the 2011 Grand. Trigger Network coverage of the NSCA Sporting Clays championship was worth watching as well. I think good production would produce a good show, and the other aspects like different clubs, guns, instruction, some interviews would be worth watching. The question is: "are there enough of us?"

However, if the show has the same lousy production and editing that I saw
    on Shotgun Journal, and most of the instructional videos out there -especially the Sunrise and Champion video productions, then forget it.

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

For a broad appeal, three disciplines a show might work.

A mix of Trap, FITASC, and skeet one week. The next week maybe Bunker Trap, 5-stand, Sporting clays. A few segments thrown in given pointers on equipment buys (sponsors).

For non-registered shooting, flash targets should be used.

For a major event, give it a little more air time, but don't build the show around the one shoot.

In any case, you have to keep the show moving. A shoot-off at a covered event can be shown in under 60 seconds with the right editing.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I consider trapshooting a sport that you have to participate in or be bored to death watching others break targets unless its in person at the club where its happening at ... I seriously doubt I would watch such a show ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. STARSKY

STARSKY TS Member

Starshot was awesome!! But I like anything to do with claybirds.

14. WJN

WJN TS Member

I doubt you would want to just show people shooting clays. That would get boring. Having professionals do shows on the various shooting sports explaining the sport and providing some instruction as well as evaluating gear and guns might be interesting when combined with some shooting. The final rounds in major shoots would fit into that scenario. Could be similar to boating and fishing shows.

I would watch.

Jim

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

There was a series of shows called PULL with Shri Legate and Bill Giaquinto. Went about 3 seasons. They went around to various Sporting Clays cOurses?

ice show

Tom

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

You would need weekly segments including young people shooting.

Have the young people explaining their equipment - the stuff -- and showing their prizes and trophies.

Showing their trips to Europe or Asia for their world competitions.

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned Joe Potosky as someone who does a great job producing videos. I think you can make an interesting show out of any sport or game that is popular. Besides golf, how about bowling, pool, poker; soccer is very popular, and all they do is kick the ball back and forth across the field and trip each other when they think no one's looking.

Half the women in America are hooked on shows about houses full of junk and dead pets. Who knows what people will like until you try it.

18. The Stive

The Stive Member

I would like to see it produced. I would watch it. John

19. trapjournalist

trapjournalist TS Member

Thank you all for your feedback. We are aware that trying to show shooting segments is in of itself boring. Thats why the lifestyle of the sports to attract new participants is the goal. Product segments, travel segments , venue tours, etc, more about people who participate and why than shopotng itself except for perhaps shoot offs at specific events and interviews with winners at all levels not just the top shots. It needs to be about people having fun shooting. You all have some good ideas and I appreciate it.
    Al Hague

20. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Al,

First thing I would like to say, is I am a big fan of your photography skills. Keep up the great work. I always look forward to your images (and cover shots) on TrapShooting USA magazine. I've told John Imboden that many times when I see him in SA.

AND; if a TV show could be created that would be like a televised version of y'alls fine "TrapShootingUSA" and "ClayShootingUSA" magazines, then I think there is great potential there. I for one would be watching every episode (as well as recording them too) and hitting on the things you state would be great for the clay-target sports.

Keep up the good work,

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay target shooting show on espn

maze clays