1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

telephone shoots to increase shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimmy Miller, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

I was thinking with the increase in fuel and travel if it is not time to have more intrastate phone in shoots. This would follow zone shots formate and allow more shooters to participate. Has anyone tried this?
    The only problem I can see is we would need to get ATA to change rule on handicap yardage to allow only shoot winners to earn yardage not just winners at each seperate location as is now the rule.
    This process would lower shooter cost and could increase prize monies by having larger participation. Florida is a large state with lots of travel between clubs.

what does everyone think?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think you must be on some drugs

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

In the 50's we used to shoot "postal" matches with other clubs in rimfire competitions. None of us were on 'Drugs". Of course for some people any changes to the status quo will result in an ensemble of pejorative invectives.

I know that Iowa used to do some high school shoots at two locations with telephonic results.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

We used to do league trapshooting that way around here, there was a LOT of cheating happening.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I got it...

We find someone from each club who has a laptop with a camera capable of Skyping... we conference everyone together... just like being there!

OK... gotta get me some diazapam...

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The end is near. HMB

7. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

anyone have other suggestions on how to increase participation and reduce cost to shooters?

8. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Jimmy,

Seems like you are talking about Florida specifically and I think it is a good idea for the FTA and maybe not so much for the clubs. But the fact is that the north florida shooters are not going to attend a chain or seasonal championship at Miami, Imperial, etc anyway. Ditto for south florida folks driving to Gator or RR.

humbly,

K

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

This year 11 different clubs will have the ATA Western Zone Shoot all at the same time. Each club will award Handicap punches based on the scores shot at that club but the Zone wide Championship trophies will be shot off for on a telephonic basis. This used to be done by FAX but the last couple of years David the owner of Trapshooters.com has made online scorekeeping a reality and it works much better.

10. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I think this is a good thought,but, I see the problem being that if you are 300 miles away and it's raining sideways and the other 2 clubs are sunny clear and calm than you do not compete on equal terms.

I would not participate in one, period, to much room for BS.

11. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

391shooter thats what happens with our western zone that miketmx is talking about, so many different conditions between Alaska, Oregon, Utah and California. You have 11 different clubs with a so so attendenance some considerable than others. The only one that comes out really ahead is the ATA.

12. inkduster

inkduster TS Member

I wouild think your idea has merit, The FTA shoots seem to be drawing fewer shooters, a main site for the shoot , with a option to shoot at other club further than 300 miles(?) would be worth testing for the Florida Shooters. However the standards for clubs holding the Shoots should be maintained...Number of traps, trained score keeepers!, standard target set...thanks KenG.

13. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Here in New Mexico (Wild West) we have in October What We call The "Grande"and usually have 5-7 Clubs around the State that participate. We use texting-e-mail -and phones and it works GREAT. Being as New Mexico is so sparsely populated this gives our shooters the closest club to their home to attend and shoot. N.M.S.T.A. buys the Champion Trophy for Singles-Doubles-Handicap and of course the HAA --HOA. Clubs can or not provide trophies for Class & Club Awards. Joe Whitehurst President N.M.S.T.A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.