1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Teflon/Moly Coatings?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quicksand, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksand

quicksand Guest

Does anyone know if there is a gunsmith in northern Indiana, or SW Michigan, that can apply this coating to a trap gun?

Thanks,

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm having it done by Doug Braker in MN right now. 2 bbls

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

MIA - what is the advantage

4. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

I just had Dick Reeder in Ohio do my 3200. Turned out nice.

5. quicksand

quicksand Guest

Got the answer...Toefco in Niles, MI.

Thanks to all.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ok-- i goota ask - why do you have this done?

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If you want a satin/matte black (or any other color) without the troubles of a matte bluing, the teflon is the way to go.

The teflon coating is not like you would find on your wife's pots and pans, but can still have a similar effect.

Because it's a coating, it helps protect the steel beneath it. Sweaty hands, wet duck blinds, and humid areas of the country, cannot penetrate the coating. It also wears much better than bluing. You are less likely to wear a shiney white area on the bottom corners of the receiver. The coating is not armor plating. You do need to treat it with some respect as you would a blued gun. It can scratch.

Teflon in the color of black will match exactly the same color of a blued gun. Side by side, you cannot tell the difference.

Lastly, it's highly unlikely anyone that reblues would warranty their bluing much past their shop door for wear. I'm not sure how others warranty their coatings, but I offer two years from wear or rust.

If you want to see a few firearms with teflon coatings, click the link above.

Doug

8. JACK

And just FYI, Gun Dr is doing two teflon bbls for me now. I shot with a guy today that has his guns Tefloned and they look great. To him a gun is a tool. But it looks better than blue too.

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

thankyou ! i will consider it

10. biff

biff Active Member

Jack, check out Cerakote finish on the Hoosier Gun Coat site; I think it is tougher than Teflon. No, I am not on their advertising staff, just some good advice which is usually disregarded on here! Biff

11. msmith

msmith Member

Doug Braker (gunDr) just did a Kolar for me. Turned out excellent. Mike

12. JACK

I'll get my bbls back in about 10 days and post pics. And uh, John... consult your physician with regard to your paranormal drug base, would you?

Doug outlines the process. But to me, I am refurbing a gun and want it to bring attention to itslef without being ostentatious. Recall the red Brownings? NOt that they were ugly, but that was only attractive to a few and when resale time comes you will pay twice for the gun. I wanted someting that would look gun-like and hav eease of maintenance. I typically clean my guns on Sunday after a weekend of shooting and this process insures that little can happen to the outer surfaces of the gun. The recvr will be nickeled. Look at it this way. The shootrs of today love thelook of the Seitz, Infinity, the ALf and the Kreighoff. Kolar does a lot in silver sides and giving the bbl a durable corrosion resistant coating to the bbl parts whould enhcance the way the gun looks and provide addl value down the road. And, "they are mild".

J

13. biff

biff Active Member

[​IMG]

Jack, Whadda ya think? Cerakote,like a ceramic finish.
    [​IMG]

Jack, can you take a look at this? Better than Ljutics bluing don't you think? Biff

14. JACK

Pretty nice Seitz

15. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mr. Braker, What do you do to redo the aluminum ribs on Perazzi?

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

There are a few options for aluminum ribs.

Teflon coat--The color would be the same as a matte blued or teflon bbl. The coating is only about .0005" to .001" in thickness, but very durable against wear and always remains black. It doesn't fade to a dark blue.

Paint--I'd recommend a spray can, not a brush or roller. (I don't recommend paint. Too thick and can chip off.)

Anodize--Is probably what is on the rib now. It's also found on almost anything aluminum.

Anodize with a clear hardcoat--Kolar uses the anodizing with the hard coat. This is probably the best. To do an individual rib is costly. The company I use has a minimum. So with quantities that Kolar has, the price is manageable. The hardcoating is about as hard as a file.

Though I'm not too familiar with CereKote, what I've read is that it's applied the same and is somewhat similar to the teflon coating. The difference is the replacement of a small quantity of ceramic instead of Dupont's Teflon.

The company I use for the teflon coating does a lot of industrial applications, but also for some of the firearms manufacturers here in the states...Weatherby and Kimber, to mention a couple.

Now with that all being said, I spoke with the chemical company that made Remington's Rem-Oil, several years ago. I ask him how much of a particular additive must be in a product for a company to claim it in ads and on the product's can. He told me one-tenth of one percent. The company I use, and I'm sure CereKote, if asked, would not tell you their propriortory secrets.

Speaking with my coating salesman, they now have a procedure for doing bores. He has done his sporting clays gun and says it's holding up well. I may try this out on my 90-T and shoot it through the summer to see for my self. It may help with the plastic melting to the ID and being a bugger to scrub out.

Going back to the Rem-oil deal real quick, the chemical fella also said that any liquid with teflon in it has a shelf life of only one month. The teflon settles out and sticks to the bottom of the can, and becomes useless.

Oh, just call me Doug, I don't wear a tie to work.

Doug

18. Barry C. Roach

Will you do the Teflon or the CereKote? If so send me an email and a price to do my MX15 Rib. Thanks Doug.

19. Barry C. Roach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.