1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Teens have shot at $100,000 prize

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Teens have shot at $100,000 prize

BY MARK FITTON, The Southern

Fiction can't top this.

Two 13-year-old Southern boys who live less than a two-hour drive from one another are shooting their way into the $100,000 Grand American Challenge and will toe up with some of the country's best trapshooters.

That's a $100,000 shootoff - winner takes all.

You might say these youngsters have no respect for their elders - at least not when it's their turn behind the trigger at the Grand American.

In fact, both are as polite as you can imagine, ending answers to questions with, "sir." And it's tough to tell who is more anxious: the young shooters or their parents.

Standard trap targets are shot from the 16-yard line. The Amateur Trapshooting Association keeps tracks of scores at registered trapshoots. The better you get, the farther back you move. It's called a handicapping, and handicaps stretch all the way back to 27 yards, the proverbial "back fence."

Ten shooters will compete In the $100,000 Grand American Challenge; all from the handicap yardage from which they qualified. Eight will be winners from the handicap events that put them in the Grand American Challenge. Each shooter must have shot in at least four handicap events.

The ninth shooter will be the high shooter from the total 800 handicap targets. If that shooter has already qualified by winning an event, the first contestant not already having won into Grand American Challenge will get the ninth position.

The 10th and final position is determined by a simple drawing. The more handicap events a shooter has participated in, the better his or her chance of being drawn for the last spot.

Logan Taylor of Russell, Ala., shoots from the 20-yard has two events in, a win already secured, and will shoot two more handicap events before Saturday's Grand American Challenge.

The 13-year-old shoots a Browning Citori trap gun and has been having a good year, said his father, Donald Taylor. "He's doing just fine. He's ready; he's having a good time this year. Logan won the Southern Zone championship - one target at a time."

Tony Kirk II of Corinth, Miss., claimed his win into the Grand American Challenge on the first event he shot, 18.5 yards, this year. He's got his four handicap events completed and is ready to go.

His dad, Tony, said it's tough to tell if Tony II's rattled much by the idea of a chance of chasing $100,000.

"We can't ever tell," the father said. "We left (Monday) morning, and he shot a 99 at singles."

Tony II said he loves shooting at the Grand American: "We love it; I wish I could be there today."

Both the Taylors and the Kirks are back home during midweek for everyday life, school and work and such. They'll be back before the weekend, for sure.

Tony II, who shoots a Beretta Silver Pigeon II sporting model, says he's not entirely sure how it will go. "I have some good days, some bad days."

Does he hope for a good day Saturday?

"I do, sir, I really do." said the eighth-grader. "But I think my parents are more nervous than I am."

Oddly enough, the boys live just a stretch apart.

"Logan doesn't live but about an hour and a half from us," said Tony Kirk. "I just think it's pretty that neat two Southern kids will be in the running.

"It's great for a kid to be able to do something like that; it's just amazing to have the opportunity to be in a shootoff like that."

Both boys and their dads said they truly enjoy shooting at the Grand American at the World Shooting & Recreational Center just north of Sparta.

"I have a great time," said Logan.

"Oh, yeah," said Tony Kirk. "At Sparta and just about everywhere, I can't remember having met anybody in trapshooting who wasn't good company.

MARK FITTON is the managing editor of The Southern Illinoisan. He can reached at 618-351-5807 or mark.fitton@thesouthern.com
  2. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Good for him. It nice to see a up and coming pro if he stays with it and don't start casing some girl when he gets older.
  3. Bama73

Bama73 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Logan shoots at the same range I do, and he is a great kid, and comes from a great family. His dad donated his time and his smoker to cook boston butts as a fund raiser for all the kids to go to the grand. He came out and shot some practice Tuesday and seemed very relaxed. I along with all of us who shoot at Cedar Hill will be rooting hard for him.
  4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Jul 1, 2009
  5. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Up for THE YOUTH of America! Jr
  6. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Win or loose it will be the thrill of a lifetime for these young Men. They will never forget this week as long a they live. Congradulations and enjoy. Allen
  7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I know the Kirk's well. They are a close, religious oriented family that does things together and are every one a class act. Pop helps run the Corinth Gun Club, mom scores and Tony Jr makes like miserable for all of us on the firing line. He will "yes sir" you to death, hold a door for ladies, and clean up any litter he sees, and is a good looking young man to boot. You can bet you will never see him on TV looting a store!

Many thanks to the reporter who penned the article. Very well done in a state where shooting is not supposed to be favored. Aparently he did not get the memo.

Go get 'um kids!!!
  8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    We need two more classes.......professionals & teenagers. They have won the most out here this year. Sure makes it hard on the rest of us.

Lots of great scores this year.
  9. shamlin

shamlin Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Boerne, TX
    Really cool to see the kids in the shoot off's for that kinda money, but they better be careful if one of them wins regarding their Amatur status. If one of them wins the money, they immediately lose their ability to play any type of sport at the college level. I went to college on a wrestling scholarship and it was made very evident to me that my winnings in Bass Tournaments could be an issue. Although all the wins were with my father....they were suspect. If one of those kids happens to be a great football or baseball player, and wants to play at the collegiate level, they better find a way to "donate" those winnings. Sucks, but its the rules in how the NCAA defines "Amateur"!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.