1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ted Williams Model 300

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, it's a 1400 in disguise, which is a gas operated single shot in disguise. I'd say $200.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Were these the ones sold at Sears & Roebuck many moons ago?

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Got a chuckle out of that Joe,..funny but true

4. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

J.C. Higgins was a Sears name plate not Western Auto. http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/jchiggins.htm

Revelation was a Western Auto brand that was most closely associated with ammunition although they did market other sporting good with that name.

Jim R

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

APrice......I must be your clone....lol! Western Auto was a great place for boys growing up in the late 50's and early 60's! Brought me BB Gun to Show and Tell at school! My brother still has a JC Higgins 20 Gage, 3 shot bolt with a Vari Choke! We learned Hunter safety in the old school basement as Boy Scouts! Great days growing up in Vermont!

6. grntitan

Not to change the subject, but Western Auto was sort of the Wal Mart of its time. Except Western Auto wasn't all China junk. We had one in town and they had a little bit of everything. I think most small to medium size towns had one.

7. grntitan

Yeah, maybe that didn't come out right. The intention was good anyway. LOL

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I remember those stores well. Western Auto, Noahs Ark. They were smaller stores. but had the stuff you wanted for sports. Sears sporting good and JC Higgins and Ted Williams Brands.

9. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I have a Western Auto sporting goods catalog from the 50's and it makes you drool looking at all af the high quality guns they sold back then.

10. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

The differance between Western Auto and Wal Mart is the Western Auto stores were locally owned and operated.
    Shotgunner 50

11. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

A Price, I have 2 1400's & love them. If you can get it for $150 & it's in good shape I would call it a Steal!

i_shoot

12. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Rev. Price, for $150...go buy it now.

Fr. Denny

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"....it's a 1400 in disguise, which is a gas operated single shot in disguise....."</i>

Buwhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

As for JC Higgins, my first defense shotgun was a JC Higgins pump with vent rib barrel and a Dial-a-Duck muzzle brake/choke assembly. Hacksawed the barrel shorter and dressed the muzzle. Foolishly traded it in on a Winchester 1200 Defender. Sad to say the JC Higgins was a better gun. If I come across another JC Higgins cheap I'll do the same thing and use it as a truck gun. They are a solidly built, reliable shotgun.

[​IMG]

It looked like this one. I cut the Dial-a-Duck off along with the first vent slot. I think that left the barrel at around 19". Cutting the next vent slot off would have made the barrel too short. This made for a cheap no nonsense house or truck gun.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I remember the Western Auto stores too. We didn't have one in our little town, but the county seat had a store. Mom would have to go to the courthouse twice a year to pay property taxes. That is when I got to go to Western Auto. I thought it was the neatest store ever.

If I remember right Ted Williams was the top of the line stuff at Sears. The kid down the street had a Ted Williams fishing pole. We were in awe! LOL

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I remember as a kid looking at all the neat Western Auto semi-trucks made by Structo. I had one of these as a kid, as well as a cattle truck.

[​IMG]

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My grandfather, Jack C. Woods, became a charter Western Auto Associate Store owner in 1941. My father, Billy H. Roach, took over in 1958 and both my brother and I had more than 20 yrs. there. I know of no "company owned" store with the exceptions of one in K.C., MO., where Western Auto was founded and in St. Louis. The St. Louis store did not last long.

Grandpa was "assigned" a town ... in his case it was Litchfield, Illinois. He was required to obtain a store front and signed a very simple agreement to pay for inventory at a very easy rate. In later years the "associate" stores were no longer available and if you wanted to become a WA store the contract with WASCO was much more stringent. You HAD to buy exclusively from WA. Dad and Grandpa could buy from anyone they chose but remained, like most of the older associate store owners, very loyal to the guys that brought them to the dance.

We got our orders, shipped out of both KC, MO and St. Louis on Tuesday mornings. the semi would park in the middle of the street and we'd "hand truck" the goods into the store. When the tires came off, we'd roll them, relay style, across the street and up a home made wooden ramp, across the sidewalk and then stored down in the basement.

At our store we became an Authorized Browning Dealer. We stocked lots of Rawlings Sporting Goods. We sold the entire Davis automotive tire line, as well as, Goodyear. Western Auto tires contracted to many tire manufacturers to make the Davis tire line. Once in a while, they'd make a deal with a tire company that supplied some bad tires. Royal made us some real stinkers in the sixties and we refused to sell them. Gates made our best tires and their "off road" nylon corded tires were some of the best and strongest "Baja style racing" tires ever made. WA sponsored many a Baja 500 winner.

I started working there for my father in 1956. Every day after school, weekends and summers I went to the store on State street where I learned about every thing important in life. I learned to work, sell, save, act mannerly and respect everyone who walked through our door. We could use a little Western Auto again today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sears ted williams model 400

ted williams model 300

ted williams model 300 forum

ted williams model 400

what year did ted williams make a model 300