1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sako2115, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

After shooting yesterday, a friend and I were discussing trapguns. He is a highly experienced trapshooter and now a Senior. He has shot trap since approximately age 14 and "knows his stuff". He is looking for a new trapgun, and has shot many belonging to friends to check out what is "new and maybe improved". (He laid off shooting for about the last ten years and had sold his last and favored trapgun.) He did shoot one particular Perrazi that he just loved; he said there was something about that particular gun that really worked. I suggested that almost any P gun of the same model and barrel length would be just as enjoyable for him. He questioned that...and I suggested that maybe not all guns go back "into battery" perfectly, or that particular dynamics such as barrel harmonics prevent a gun from consistently shooting where one looks. I know that the bedding of the barrel and action is critical in a rifle; perhaps this is an area overlooked in the trapgun and, ergo, a reason why some otherwise fine trapguns are sold..with the owner's complaint, "I just couldn't shoot it" when, in fact, a little relief in the forearm, bedding, etc. maybe have turned the trick.

I think that this is a good question for Mike in New Orleans, aka "Perrazi Bigbore" aka TitaniumCole.

Thanks

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is more likely that a slight difference in the stock configuration is the reason he does not shoot the second gun well. Forearm bedding is critical for a rifle but not a shotgun.

Pat Ireland

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's a great post, Mike, and right to the point.

To answer sako's question, your friend's speculation is undocumented as far as I know, untrue as far as I know. At least when confined to the bedding parameter. On the other hand, some barrels move their POI to such an extent when hot they don't work. However, that explanation can only be applied to a specific barrel which has been proven to have such a fault.

You can use these "mechanical" explanations when you do the tests with a specific firearm and find that this gun's POI moves, this one's doesn't. Beyond that test-based information, your friend's observations have no explanatory power.

It's like MIke says. Some guns you can shoot, others not. I'll add to that my own belief: it's not because of bedding.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.