1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Question re: Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Could be pressure blow by or the wad is scraping all the powder residue from your barrel. Might be a combination of both. I never try and track my wads down but just about every spent wad i've seen looked like what you described.--Matt

Look like this????

grntitan_2009_2503206.jpg

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Residue from previous shot? Clean your bbl and try again as a test.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This is the only photos I have of a charge leaving the confines of the barrel. If we could see one as the wad is actually exiting the barrels end would be much better in seeing how much gas loss there may be? The photos above are actually 5 different shots photographed by one of our posters here on TS some time back. The very first sequence doesn't look to me as though much gas got around the wad on exit? You can see that the gas did run over the wad somewhat afterward though.

As mentioned above, clean the barrel really good between your shots and you'll know what's going on.

Hap

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You are right Rick, I'm sure Jim cleaned the barrel between shots he took above,I can't remember if he said he did or not though?

The rougher the internals of barrels and choke tubes or fixed choke, the more trash they collect! With mirror smooth internals one can shoot more of those cheaper plastic wads with less plastic sticking to the insides, or flying flags, don't ask me how I know.

Monkeyed with forcing cones left in the rough, abrades the plastic wads pretty good, then it hits the bore/choke and if there is roughness there, more trash will stick! We must remember how fast this all takes place in the barrel too? The smoothest barrel internals I know of are the MachOnes and newer Devault guns, I've forgotten the name of the tool used to measure surface smoothness but I just polished mine till they looked like a mirror inside. Very time consuming the way I did mine!

Hap

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the black residue is from previous shots, it is forced into the walls of the shot petals as the pressure between wad and barrel/choke is higher than the push from behind on the powder cup there is nothing behind to grind it into the bottom of the shot cup. further evidence when you find some chewed up going through ported guns.

6. grntitan

Perfectly normal and indictive of a dirty barrel. Try it again with a spotless barrel and they should be much cleaner. Once you have fired a few shots they will be dirty again. No big deal its normal.

P.S. Some powders leave more residue than others. For example i use Green Dot and when it is loaded at lower pressure and velocity it will leave a very dirty barrel. Green Dot has a slower burn rate thus a making a dirty barrel.

Matt

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

And y'all think that the inside of the hulls are clean? While some of it comes from the barrel, the inside of the hull contributes to it aswell.

ss

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you find it disturbing, get some PB. That should clean things up a lot.

HM

9. grntitan

Good point SS.

Matt

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just another point of interest if you put cut a once fired hull in half length wise(I know bite my tung right)and look at the inside walls of the hull you will find a fairly smooth surface.

By the same token if you do the same to a hull that has been fired 8-10 times. You will see a surface that is very rough and I would believe much harder to with hold the gas as well.

Bob Lawless

11. porky

porky TS Member

If I were to guess based on the condition of the wads now, I'd say that you had a few cocked wads or you have blow by in the shell because you used shells and wads that were incompatible. Those two things will give you a report that doesn't sound as strong as the other shells you fired. Since the wads shown are all leaning to one side, chances might be that you put them in the hulls crooked when loading giving you a blowby effect with the unburnt powder residue affect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.