1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Question on XT Barrel Thickness/Profile*

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I have a Browning XT Trap which I bought new in 2004. The barrel thickness of my gun is 0.040" or greater (depending on where it's measured).

Lately the XT is advertised as having "Lightweight Profile" barrels yet the weight of the guns (according to the Browning catalog) is actually 1 ounce heavier than it was in 2004 when I bought mine.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Is this "Lightweight Profile" barrel advertisement just a bunch of baloney to try to sell more guns or did they really lighten up the barrels? If they did make the barrels lighter, then why is the gun the same weight (or heavier) as before? Did they use heavier wood to offset the lighter barrels? Unlikely, IMO.

So, does anyone have a newer XT that they can measure the barrel thickness on? You don't need a bore gauge to get an approximate measurement. Just use your dial calipers and measure the barrel O.D. about 8" back from the muzzle and tell me what you got. I can then subtract 0.740" from that number and divide by 2 and have a pretty darn close idea of the actual wall thickness in that area.

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. Easystreet

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

.739 ID .821 OD

Bought new in 2009

4. Easystreet

Brent,

Thank you very much. Your measurements indicate a wall thickness of 0.041" which is essentially the same as my XT which was bought new in 2004.

Unless Browning has done something to their XT barrels in just the past year, then it appears that their claims of "lightweight profile" barrels on the XT are just so much hot air.

Don't get me wrong. I like my XT and think it's a great gun. I just wish they would make it with the 0.035" thick barrels like they do on some of their other models.

Thanks again for the info.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.