1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

--Technical Question. 12 Gauge vs 20 Gauge--

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by turp, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turp

turp TS Member

Johnny C, First off don't worry about the smart remarks. Since my wife started shooting with me, trap shooting has gotten better. We both reload, we both box reloads, we spend most evenings practicing together, and we plan our vacations to shoot together. We are both very competitive and trade wins with fun ridicule. The most important factor to perceived recoil is gun fit. A gun that does not fit will allow for many unpleasant perceived recoil effects from shoulder to cheek pain. Stock length, pitch, comb height are all very important factors which relate directly to perceived recoil. I am not saying not to buy the 20 gauge, just don't disregard a 12 gauge because of recoil. 12 gauge loads can be bought or loaded with low recoil effects, and shells are much more readily available than 20 gauge. As mentioned above the Beretta 391 Auto is one choice of a soft shooting gun and available with RL (reduced length) stocks directly from the factory. Whatever gun your wife decides to shoot should fit to begin with or she won't want to continue shooting for very long. The service from a professional stock maker is the best approach. Dennis DeVault is one example of a professional stock maker that is worth every penny you spend. The only problem with having Mr. DeVault making your wife a stock to fit is you to will want one. Tim Turpin

2. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

In terms of actual free-recoil, not much difference. Your 9-lb 12-GA has about 14.5 foot-pounds of kick shooting 1 1/8-oz at 1150 fps, and a 6-lb 20-GA has about 15 ft-lbs of kick shooting 7/8-oz at 1200 fps. The 20-GA would have only 10 ft-lb of kick shooting 3/4-oz shot at 1150 fps. (A gas-gun like the Rem 1100, has less felt kick than a fixed-breech gun, due to the delayed recoil impulse in a gas-gun.) Do you know the brand/model of this 20-GA? Phil E

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For our youth shooting program we provide 20ga Winchester model 1300 pump guns with 26" barrels for the boys and girls aged 10-16. The standard load is 7/8oz #8. No recoil complaints from any of them.

Eric

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I'm doing the same thing with my 12 year old Grand Daughter. She's eventually getting a 12 gage. The thing about the 12 gage is it's versatility to load as light as a light 20 gage or as heavy as a heavy 20 gage. But not in the 3" only the 2 3/4" or as heavy as a light 10 gage or as heavy as a medium 10 gage which is also in 2 3/4 or the 2 3/4 magnum in 2, 4 or 6 shot.Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The people who pooh-pooh the 20ga guns don't bother to tell you BOTH sides of the story. They only tell you that a light gun, like a pump or hinge gun, has as much or more kick than a larger 12ga gun.<br>
    <br>
    But, if you look at a 20ga gas auto, like the Remington 1100/1187 or the Beretta, you not only get the soft recoil of a gas auto, but these guns will cycle lighter loads than the 12ga guns. Specifically, these guns will cycle 2-1/2 dram 7/8 ounce factory loads. The felt recoil is hardly there.<br>
    <br>
    Yeah, I know all the arguments about the 20ga stringing shot more than a 12ga. But if you are having problems with the physical size of a 12ga, or the recoil, what good is it going to do you that it patterns a bit better?<br>
    <br>
    Several gals at my club shoot 20ga guns. I took a Rem 1187 20ga and installed a 12ga monte carlo stock on it by reducing the size of the tenon that fits in the back of the receiver. It fits well and doesn't look mismatched. It's in effect a 7/8 scale trap gun, with very light recoil. I even shot exclusively with it due to back and neck problems, along with a pinched nerve in my left arm that prevented me from holding up a heavier gun for extended periods (like a round of trap). I even made up a similar gun for my daughter. They work.

6. Paul Donahue

Paul Donahue TS Member

Brian, your 20ga trap gun sounds like fun. With 7/8s loads what are its effective distance limits for solid target breaks? Would 40 yards from the shooter be expecting to much? What are its limits for shooting handicap? Thanks. Paul

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Johnny, firstly, I would not automatically assume a 9lb gun is too heavy for her. Many of the women (some quite dainty) at my club shoot Perazzis and they are in the 8 to 9 lb range.

I'll also tell you that my favorite field gun is a 20g 29.5" barreld O/U that I also shoot for skeet, sporting and sometimes doubles. I use Remington 7/8oz 1135fps STS shells and I can tell you for_a_lead_pipe_cinch my shoulder hurts a lot more after 200 shots than it does with my 1oz @ 1150fps load in my 9.5lb Perazzi.

If weight is not an issue, but recoil is, go with the 391 in 12g. It will handle light 7/8oz loads. If weight is also an issue, go with the 20g. I've never shot a 20g at caps, but it certainly smokes singles targets.

8. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

The ultimate in recoil reduction is purported to be the Beretta 391 Extrema2. Of course, it's a 12, but with that much recoil reduction, who cares?

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 gauge or 20 gauge for trap shooting

12 gauge vs 20 gauge for trap shooting

20 gauge for trap

20 gauge for trap shooting
20 gauge vs 12 gauge for trap
difference in a 20 gauge vs 12 gauge for trap
trap shooting 20 gauge or 12 gauge
which is better a 12 guage or a 20 guage for trap shooting