1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

## Technical Choke Question ##

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Littlechipper, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Littlechipper

Littlechipper TS Member

I have been offered a barrel for my 682 that has had a special choke fitted by Briley in the top barrel that shoots 20% lower than the bottom barrel. It has been made obviously for Doubles.

Can anyone tell me if this is an advantage and indeed is a flat shooting top barrel an advantage for Doubles or do the big dogs have both barrels shooting in the same place?

For me I feel it would be an advantage to have a higher shooting barrel on the first shot as the target is rising and a flatter shooting top barrel as I tend to shoot my second bird just before it peaks.

Is this only good in theory or has any one else done this or had a special choke or barrel made for Doubles?

Your constructive comments would be welcomed.

Many Thanks and all the best for Christmas.

Kev

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Everything depends on how you shoot doubles. Since you shoot the second bird while it is still rising a top barrel with a built in vertical lead would be a good thing.

Since the top barrel shoots 20% lower than the bottom barrel, the top barrel might still shoot high enough for the second shot in doubles. The only way to find out is to shoot it before you buy it.

If the choke you are talking about is a fitted choke tube you can replace it with one that is not off center and the barrel will return to its normal POI. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Part of the answer to this question would involve what is meant by 20% lower. If the first barrel shot 90-10 and the second shot 70-30 (20% lower), many would consider the set up as ideal.

Pat Ireland

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ideal, Pat, or hopeless, which would be my guess for me, at least - a complete mismatch for my technique and timing (average to moderately slow). I vote with HMB; this is the sort of question which can only be answered by Kev shooting the barrel at doubles with whatever technique and so on he is using.

The general idea sounds fine. My most successful gun shoots a little high and a little low, in fact. I'd be willing to call that a 20% difference, but I have little confidence that someone else quoting 20% is talking about the same difference I am. It's one of those "Who knows?" situations.

Kev, if you get the gun, pattern it and see if it is doing what you expect, shoot it a bit, and if you like it, you just might have found "the answer" (for you.)

Neil

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would shoot it also but with Brileys choke tubes you could just get an other tube if it does not shoot where you need it to, If the barrels fit your receiver and are at a good price I would go for them. I have had Beretta barrels just drop on and work perfectly and just got a set of Optima 32 inch for a 682 and they had to be fitted ejectors were off timing and the lock was too tight had a gunsmith fit them and they work fine. My other set just droped on my 686 but I had a gunsmith check them before I shot it he said they were perfect and I got lucky.
    Buddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.