1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TECH TIP... Twisted butt-pad... PICS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

    JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Messages:
    14,737
    Location:
    NW Wisconsin
    I do not like cutting my stock to accomodate a slight Twist in my butt pad of in this case a MX stock on my MX3. I removed the Perazzi pad some time ago and just recently began to shoot this gun and wanted a bit of "heel in/toe out". It is a Kickeze flat trap pad. The gun;

    [​IMG]

    From the back. You can see this is a cast off stock.

    [​IMG]

    Pad looks normal from this view

    [​IMG]

    But now you can begin to see the toe out

    [​IMG]

    Here you can see the toe out and by how much

    [​IMG]

    and the same view shows the heel in

    [​IMG]

    This view shows the lessening of the pad width at the Toe where it is toe-out.

    [​IMG]

    It was tough to grind. Was a mental chalenge the entire time. The angles are in reverse a lot, and you only got one shot to get it right. I am not true pad grinder like the pros we all use. But this is an idea that was best developed by me just to see if it was feasible. The pad is quite nice for me about 95% of the time. The other 5% the toe gets into my bicep. But the heel portion is fine all the time. And if you would, understand this... I think adj buttplates are fine but most shooters get them way out further and down than they should. So this minimalist concept works well. (so far)(by me)


    Jack
     
  2. BigJohn270

    BigJohn270 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    Messages:
    193
    I like the idea. I hate adjustments on my stocks. I do have some on some guns, but the reason I hate them is that I will not stop screwing with them.
    I like the idea of a "twisted" pad without the adjustable butt plate.
    Thanks for sharing...
     
  3. Easystreet

    Easystreet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,463
    Jack,

    I've got a question. Suppose that you twisted the recoil pad a bit more and had a portion of the end of the buttstock not covered (i.e. unprotected) by the base of the recoil pad. How would you go about protecting this unprotected area from splitting/chipping in case it gets bumped on something?

    Thanks,

    Easystreet
     
  4. JACK

    JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Messages:
    14,737
    Location:
    NW Wisconsin
    I ran a foul with my fave BT. I had to hold to forend in sucha a way that when the gun recoiled it sent a sharp pain thru the upper portion of my forend side of my arm where it meets the shoulder cap. Adn if I looseed my grip thepoints on the checkering slid on the bone-spurs of my left index finger and so that gun is mothballed and here comes a Dan Bonillas fave gun. Bought the bbl, recvr and forend from Tony. The trigger I bought from the Pres of the AK ATA assoc, Jeff Pokorny, and the stock I have owned since the early 90s. I never sell my good stocks and triggers. Why? Because the fact that I have them allows me to road test any gun in a matter of minutes. I hve TM stocks like that, MX stocks and BT stocks.
     
  5. JACK

    JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Messages:
    14,737
    Location:
    NW Wisconsin
    Easy. Well, easy. Just grind the side of the pad to a 45 degree angle (as an i.e.) Yes, you can gain quite a bit if you begin wiht a large or extra large pad. Would it work? Yes. And prob easier than wiht my pad because my smaller amounts were confusing. Larger and more defined angles would be easier.

    Adn If you guys are interested, I'll be glad to set up my grind system and take some pics fo ryou. It is just a Dewalt belt sander that has refiished every board on my Southern WI 2-1/2 story lake home on Twin Lakes WI. It sanded every board wiht only belt changes. Too, I have a method of getitng the angle of the toe right without gizmo tools.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.