1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tears & Gloom Agony On Me!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Remember Hee Haw?? Tears and Gloom?? I've loaded everything one can imagine over a fifty year period...just like many of you I suppose. Year or so back I decided to simplify my "loading" life. I settelled on Clays and found a really good load or two that would do everything I was capable of doing. Used up everything else on the shelf and adjusted my loaders just for Clays. Bought a bunch I thought at the time. Happy as a pig in a puddle!! Life is good!! Well, I just loaded up all the Clays I had left last night and it seems that it will be in short supply for some time. My luck holds every time. I learned to make shot; do a pretty good job of that. Have about 10 tons. Guess I should have learned to make powder instead. Outcome might have been somewhat different though.

Tears and Gloom, and gony On Me!!

2. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Actually it was GLOOM DISPARE AND AGONY ON ME (see link) but I feel your pain

3. SlowArrow

SlowArrow Member

Sounds like you have to do what all the rest of the Clays loaders have had to do - switch to Clay Dot and save a few bucks on the deal. I just picked up 4 jugs of Clay Dot, supposed to be a direct replacement for Clays.........we'll see.

4. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Clay Dot

5. Shotgun Ron

Shotgun Ron Member

e3 and you wont ever give Clays another thought

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

It's a shotgun guys. And it is only Trap. Any good powder will work. If you want boomers for long yardage HC, then a second slower powder is nice to have.

I bought 8 cases of Promo and it runs great. If I thought using a "better" powder would raise my average .5 I would spend $150/jug - but powder has no affect.

Good shot and good wads are the critical factors. And of course a primer that works every time.

Don Verna

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Put your teeth in,..rollover and give your sister a tender kiss,..say your prayers and all will be better in the morning..oh, yeah..just find some RedDot too

8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

SWITCH from Clays to Titewad!! Titewad is available, clean and you can use the same loading info.

I'm loading 17.5 grains and 1 ounce of shot in an STS or a Top Gun Hull. Works fine and the recoil is pretty soft. I also use Cheddite or Winchester primers. I haven't tried the Nobel primers yet.

Chuck

9. Jim Porter

Chuck--I am the Tears guy--
    I just got some Titewad and have not loaded any yet. I see the load you listed and you say it does not have too much kick. I want to pick your brain a bit. I have shot 17.3 Clays in Gun Club with a DR XL! lime green wad and 1 1/8 oz shot (yeah I know it's a 10z wad). It stung a little more that I wanted and I backed off to 16gr. BINGO--soft, loads like a new hull and destroys 16 and singles targets. It became my standard. In keeping with this experience I was looking at backing off the Titewad by about a grain or so less than listed.

Have you tried this?? ANYBODY??

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Yes, I have shot probably a hundred pounds of titewad. My pet load was 16-16.5 grains in a aa or rem hull CB wads with 1oz of shot. It will work farther back than you might think.

Jim

11. Jim Porter

Jim 101 THANKS I was looking at and thinking about 16 gr. I expect about a 1050 or so load. Will give it a try this weekend. I agree with you, everything breaks stuff farther back than most people think.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Titewad smells great.

I was at the club yesterday and peeked in the component storage room... Behold! had to be 30+ jugs of various powders. the manager that orders the stuff stays after his suppliers. clays, Clay dot, PB, Promo, 20/28, green dot, red dot... You name it, he had it.

13. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

E3 works great