1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

teaching wife to shoot trap Need Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MTA Tom, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

One: DO NOT try to teach a spouse how to shoot trap.

Two: Locate a properly-credentialed instructor for her.

Edit: Original poster deleted his post regarding how best to teach his wife not to stop the gun while shooting trap.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I echo what MTA Tom said.

Good way to start a family feud.

If you don't take that advice, suggest this:

Have her follow some targets without shooting. Call pull, then just have her track the target all the way to the ground. Do this several times (it'll get old fast.)

Next, have her do exactly the same thing, only dry fire with a snap cap. Tell her to pull the trigger, but continue to follow the target all the way to the ground. Do this several times too.

Then try with a live round. Try to get her to do the same thing, that is, follow the target after the shot. Follow the whole target after a miss, or a chip of the target if she hits it, all the way to the ground, keeping her face "in the gun."

3. R_T

R_T TS Member

Teaching someone to shoot trap should be done ONLY after that person has been taught to shoot a gun. You did not indicate whether your wife has a history of shooting a long gun but that MUST be done first. She needs to be taught form and stance and tracking and the GUN MUST FIT HER PROPERLY. Only after she has come to grips with the use of the gun should she be introduced to try to hit clay targets.

Michael

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Be kind. Then maybe when she is better than you she will return the favor when trying to teach you how to shoot. I speak from experience.

Good luck

Bob

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Find a trusted shooter to take over the coaching of your wife.
    You'll both be happier, and she'll learn much faster.

6. Billster

Billster TS Member

Found an 1100 Lt 20 gauge for her....the BT-99 was too much for her to handle. Just trying to get her to handle/mount the gun properly in the living room was trying for my patience. She was ready to give it up right there and then. Two days ago we headed out to the range and I handed her over to the instructor who spent over 1/2 hr. just on mount/stance/explaining the angles, etc., etc. Made it an entirely pleasant experience for her. After 45 minutes of explanation/demonstration he put one round in the gun and launched a straightaway....she smoked it!!! She went thru a box at the 8 yard line shooting straightaways like this and was grinning ear to ear. Broke about 10 of them. Then he inserted her into a squad. She was intimidated and didn't do that well but hung in there. Last night she was online looking for bargains for ammunition - she's HOOKED all thanks to a great instructor. The best thing I could've done for her is backing off totally.

Looking forward to many great times shooting together now. Best of luck and enjoy shooting together.

bill

7. Otter

Otter TS Member

Teaching your bride to Trap Shoot, Water Ski, or Drive (among many other activities) is why attorney's are in such demand . . . LOL

(;0)

Luxor

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I agree with the above post. Find a good instructor for her. If she is new to shooting in general,don't expect too much too soon. I taught my wife to shoot before we we were married and will give my two cents(when asked), but by and large she has a coach that helps her if she is experiencing trouble. Just be encouraging and remember Rome wasn't built in a day!

9. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I also have to agree with letting someone else do the teaching. About a year ago my wife ( 59 years old) decided she wanted to learn the sport. She had never shot any type of gun before so she knew nothing about guns or trap.
    I made one mistake right off the bat, I bought her a gun, a really nice 11-87 Trap, had the stock cut to fit someone her size and surprised her with it. She hated it, it was to mechanical for her, to many things she had to do to make it work. She saw a friend shooting a BT 99 and said get something simple like that for me. I then went out and found a BT99 and had a bunch of stuff done to that one, like Briley tubes and added a Gray-coil recoil pad. Then thought I did a fair job in fitting it to her. She took a lesson from one of the guys at the club, and listened others about what they saw her doing, after about a year now she's shooting regularly in the high teens and has broke a high of 24. But she was never consistent.
    She went to the Grand with me a few weeks ago and we brought along her BT99 to be fitted by the Country Gentleman. It didn't take him long to show us just how bad a fit that gun was. Impossible to correct so we went out to look for a new gun for her. She surprised me by saying she wanted an O/U for she could try sporting clays as well as trap. I had no idea she had become so interested in the shooting sports. Found a new Browning XT and brought it right back to the Country Gentleman to work his magic. She now has a gun she picked out, that was properly fitting to her along with about an hour and a half of instructions on proper stance and gun mount.
    She is now learning to shoot two eyes and really is having fun.
    I guess what I'm saying is let her learn at her own pace from someone other than you, with a gun she feels good about that is properly fitted.
    I can't tell you how much fun it is having a wife that enjoys the same sport you do. Good luck

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Gun fit and the importance of the gun fitting your wife was mentioned. If you are unfamiliar with the concept, a gun fits the shooter when the dimensions of the gun's stock match the size and shape of the person shooting it.

Most off-the-rack guns have stocks designed for men 5' 10" tall and weighing 160 pounds. This "average" is the best gun manufacturers can do, along with adjustable combs, to make their guns fit their customers. Needless to say, with the wide variation of shooter sizes and shapes, a good fit with an off-the-rack gun is rather unlikely.

So it is with your wife if she is like many women, smaller than the average man for whom stocks are designed. Only when the gun fits the shooter can the shooter use the correct stance, body posture and gun mount (shooting form.) When it can be used, the shooter will shoot better and improve with practice more quickly than if he/she is poorly fitted and cannot use the correct form.

Rollin

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Like most others, I firmly believe a fellow has no business trying to teach wives and often, kids, how to shoot, drive, or any other learnable skill. They all will pay way more attention to a 3rd party....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Driving is the same thing. Nothing spoils a relationship like being "yelled at".

So have someone else do it. then They don't mind.

We're screwed, ain't we, guys?

HM

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I taught my wife to shoot trap, she learns really fast because after two days I corrected her on something and she said "I know what I'm doing" ... I was so glad my job was done and I could go back and consentrate on my own shooting ... I offered to pay for a clinic and all I got was "The Look" so I don't bring that up anymore ... She has since quit because it was probably to easy and after "she knew what she was doing" she shot her way into a slump on the 3rd day and didn't know what to do next ... The Model 12 complete with an Anton Stock I gave her and fitted to her has sat in the safe since, and the 10 flats of shells I bought her are still in the garage ... She must be hard headed because its been almost 5 years and she hasn't said anything about shooting since ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

My wife trusted my abilities to teach her....Ha, ha...turned her over to a competent coach...best thing I did, and now I have a shooting and traveling partner... BUT, we do not shoot on the same squad so we don't worry about the other half.

Dave in NY

15. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

2 things in life that I did in excess was shooting and drinking adult beverages. My wife of 51 years did neither and that has worked out well for us. There is an old addage regarding teaching your wife to shoot, don't dp it.

Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.