1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Teaching novice shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Johnny likes to skate board with olders kids and one day we found ourselves at the Sportsman's club with one of his high school friends.

I set him up at 3 and fed my autoloader shells while he shot. I even closed it for him. This got some repetition going which I believe is important.

He broke his first target but then started missing. I told him he needed to look at the target - keep your eyes on the target and move to it. Then I just kept feeding him shells. He kept missing. Then he broke a target. He said he did what I said. I said - 'See. Keep doing it.' He kept breaking targets.

In his first 10 targets he broke 2. In his last 10 he broke 8.

This is the kind of kid who will mow your lawn and take the 20 bucks he just got to buy lunch for the other kids in the car, at Burger King. He actually did this on another occasion. Nice kid. Wish he had a dad.

2. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

Joe, it was very nice of you to take him shooting. It sounds like he may have a "Dad" after all.
    Frank

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Kewl dood ... I thought only them skeeters rode skateboards.

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

If you can Joe take him under your wing.

5. joe kuhn

It's a Kuhn family tradition to have friends over for work and play. You might get fed here, but you also might have to sit down and do a spelling lesson as well.

Since my wife grew up in an orphanage, everybody gets their fair share when you're here at dinner time. Cute kid was at our door the other day asking if she could have a drink of water. Not a day past 3.

In terms of effective instruction, that sequence really worked. Until he looked at the target the whole time he missed except for a lucky shot or two.

I believe this is what makes trap so difficult. You can break targets by not doing it right, but not very consistently. Since the brain is lazy, it tries to get away with it, or you may never have been taught what to do.

Some small percentage of your attention has to come back and sense where the gun is in relation to the target. This can be surprisingly small, but it must be there. It can even be beyond the limit of your awareness, or what you care to admit to. Is it 99 percent on the target, 1 percent on the gun?

My new gun is 100% high and if I trust it, it will whack targets right away. What a machine! Shot next to a new shooter the other day and it just smoked them. Splattered a few hard angles, but it was on. Didn't even use a mental reminder, just did it.

I know this was a good model for Johnny because the other day he picked up his BB gun and asked if he could shoot it like a shot gun, meaning to keep his eye on the target. Well of course you can.

6. joe kuhn

Saw this kid the other day and he shaved his head AND HIS EYEBROWS. He looks like a forest animal now with little eyes in a big round face. Well, my daughter just colored her hair purple. Ah, the teen years. Will have to look past this and keep shooting.

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I remember my long hair and handle bars. Work with the kid even if you don't really enjoy his company. I worked with a little punk a few years back. We did not shoot trap but just hung out - went to beach - shot rifles and pistols. The kid went most of the way through college, joined the special forces and is now married with a kid. I am proud of his turn around and accomplishments every time I think of him. Don't take credit for the kid coming out good because if you do you will have to take credit for the ones that came out bad! Kids can be a lot of joy to be with and see develop. Everyone need a chance in life until he proves he needs hanging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.