1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Teachers day at trap range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

What are your thoughts on a teachers and principles day of free shooting trap? They spend a lot of time with our children and possibly showing them that a good, safe, fun day, can be had at the shooting range would enable us to get some shooting programs into the school curriculum. This might get the youngsters into shooting in the future. I think it would have to start with the teachers to dispel any negative connotations associated with guns. Bulge.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My observation is that the high majority of teachers, especially K-12, are women who would much prefer going to a yard sale or an art fair. Still, there are a few who might be interested.

IMO, the underlying problem is that most school districts are paranoid about student safety and do not allow the use of anything more powerful than air guns even for Junior ROTC due to concerns over guns in school. I have noticed that a few schools are promoting archery.

It is OK to "smash mouth" on the football field but no firearms or firearm training of any sort.

I have had students ask me to take them shooting and I have always said no. I have taken a few fishing (along with a parent) but it is too personally dangerous to transport a student in a privately owned vehicle due to liability concerns.

Some principals, the majority of whose students are on government subsidized lunches, IMO would probably not jump at the idea.

At the college level, some schools do allow participation in shooting sports.

Ed Ward

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Using AIM/SCTP promo materials, I would approaching Phys Ed. instructors and ask if they've heard about the 1000s of students nationally who participate and the number of colleges/universities that offer shooting programs (prepare something off the thread recently listing partcipating schools)...

If you focus on them (men and ladies), then use a rifle approach for referrals to other teachers they may know like the outdoors (who fishes, who hunts, camps, hikes, canoes, kayaks, etc...?!) to generate a "qualified" list of possible suspects to contact...

Good Luck!

Jay

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

An intresting idea Bulge, but as Ed said most of the teachers are in fact female andy the outdoors is not what they do. In additon in my area a burb of Chicago just the word gun raise eyebrows. I've had many students that are in our fishing club,that I sponsor ask about shooting. I tell them go with their fathers or other family members. Our school dose offer archery in PE but nevr firearms. At one point our superintendent said that if I could show that other schools in the area had shhoting club that he'd take it to the school board for approval, but there are none in our area. I told my students to have their parents contact th esuperintendent if they really wanted a Outdoorsmans Club that could include the shooting sports but like most teens it never happened. I don't want to be the driving force that would not go well for the cause.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All liberals like dialog and attention. They like to get in touch with their feelings, and everybody else's too.
    I don't know if we have anybody in trapshooting that would be good at the job. Oh wait!

How about Brad Dysinger. Just having some fun Brad.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bruce, you need to get info on the High School Trap program in East Central Wisconsin.

There are teams from many schools competing, and they have a pretty big event at Mayville for the championship. (Sheboygan wins most of the time, LOL.)

There is also a ton of SCTP action all over the country. If you can make it sound trendy, you may be able to get something going.

HM

7. Damifino

Damifino Member

My kid wore an ATA shirt to school once last year, it had a shotgun in the logo... - he was "written up" and had to turn the shirt inside-out for the rest of the day - all guns are evil donchya know.

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Bulge,

I think it is a great idea. What have you got to lose? Get your club to form the outline of such an event, and then extend the invitations to the teachers, counselors, and principals. Include a free meal and several free prizes just for attending.

Ask them to bring their spouse or significant other and invite them to shoot and eat too. Ask them to RSVP so that you can have sufficient instructors and food prepared to serve everyone.

Naturally, all the shooting, shells, targets, food, etc would be free. In the invitation, emphasize the safety aspect of the event and highly qualified instructors with many years of experience shooting, handling, and teaching shotgun safety. Emphasize that all gun handling and shooting will be "one-on-one" with an instructor. You're not going to just hand them a gun and a box of shells and tell them to have at it.

The purpose of the event is to show that guns have legitimate sporting uses. It would be great if you could have a young person on hand who has gotten a scholarship for his shooting skills. If not that, then at least try to have several young people who have been shooting for several years and are doing well in school, not getting into trouble, etc. In other words, shotgun shooting hasn't hurt them a bit. In fact, it has helped them become focused on a wholesome sport and made them a more disciplined, responsible, mature, young adult.

Give it a whirl. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Easystreet

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

In fact, most high school teachers are male. Bulge, it is a good idea. Don't get discouraged if the turn out is small. Word of mouth will spread. I used to take out my teachers who wanted to learn to shoot a shotgun and they discovered that it was fun! Some of the most anti-gun teachers came out and actually changed their minds. Give it a "shot" -- pun intended. Fred, retired high school principal.

10. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

I'm a teacher and I think it would be a great idea. I would love to go!

I really want to get a trap team started at my school but am unsure of the red tap and politics of the whole scenario. Guess I'll find out next week when schools here in Ontario start up again...

11. Lyle

Lyle Member

I am a principal at a HS in Idaho. Our school student council is sponsoring a Make a Wish Benefit sporting clays shoot next week at the Boise Gun club.
    The shoot is being advertised on our TV's in the school.
    Living dangerously against the grain of the PC world I am! lol

Lyle

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

All I gotta say to Fred and Lyle and others: Breath of fresh air; I'm a retired public school psychologist who had 36 years in. I note with sadness that so many activities from volunteering for almost anything to the shooting sports take on political "valences" due to small minded agendas. Or, simply put, I was shooting at targets well before I ever considered anything or anyone in the public/legal domain. Marksmanship is merely part of sport. Schools have forgotton that.

13. Lyle

Lyle Member

Hunter safety education is a class offered during the school day in our middle school. Our middle school principal is a Obama fan but at least she sees the value of our kids understanding gun safety and even in this tight economy has extended resources to keep this class going.

I am working on her with the Obama thing.

Lyle

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

Bulge, we have been doing a faculty/staff shoot for a few years now. The picture is Sr. Peggy shooting a shotgun for the first time in her life. The url is to a set of pictures from the shoot. While we had very few attend the first year, this year we had a crowd of about 50 people and we shot more than 50 rounds.

The students enjoy being the teacher. We start with a safety talk, then have each new shooter one on one with an instructor. The instructor (our coaches and more experienced students) hold the shells. An experienced shooter then shoots a couple of targets to introduce them to the noise/target speed. Since we teach about 10-20 new shooters each year (new meaning never held a gun before) we have a pretty good protocol for starting a brand new shooter. We set the trap on straightaways. We usually start a new shooter on post 3 but we had so many this year we put 5 on the line with 5 tutors and shot 2 to a post. We applauded every broken target. After everyone has shot we ask if anyone wants to try it again. We wound up shooting most of the afternoon. A couple of the teachers are now asking if they can come to practice and shoot with the team. We ended with a pizza party. They see shooting as a positive activity and we have a great forum to discuss gun rights etc. It was a good day.

I teach at an all girls school. We have about 30 girls on our trap team (with a student enrollment of 650). The girls can earn a letter in trapshooting. We shoot in the
    Eastern Cornhusker Trapshooting Conference and have about 1,000 students shooting each week during our spring season. Many of the schools around here treat trap as a letter sport/activity.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'd vote for teachers and principALS. I think most of them already have principles.

I disagree that most high school teachers are males. I think on a national scale you would be surprised that most are probably female. Probably ought to check the research at NTA and SDEA to be certain.

Whiz

16. tachyon

tachyon Member

Whiz, your are right. The majority of high school teachers today are female. There are a little over 6 million teachers. 71% are female. 79% of elementary and middle school teachers are female. 60% of secondary teachers are female. 46% of college teachers are female.

I don't understand the perception that women would not be interested in breaking targets. I have watched 14 year old girls and 70+ year old women break their first target. Their smiles are the same. It is fun to break a target. Boys, girls, men, women it does not matter. Breaking a target is fun and it brings a smile.

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I stand corrected. First mistook I made this year. Fred

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The post has renewed my desire to try and get something going at my high school. we start back next week and I'll strat by finding out wht the interest might be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.