1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Teacher upset kid discussed trapshooting in class

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was at an area gun club today. Was talking to a friend and told him my oldest grandson is going to be 8 years old in July and I would be speaking to his father (who is also a trapshooter) to see if we can start taking him to the gun club and to see what hunter safety courses are available? From the day he was born I have a trap gun that I have set a side for him.

My friend started telling me that he invited his neighbor out to the club to shoot, and the boy could tag along too. The 10 year old was looking forward to going with his dad and started to tell his friends at school about it.

The neighbor received a call one evening from the boy's teacher stating in this day and age the school does not want any student discussing guns and shooting of any kind on school property. She said if this talk continued she would tell the principal.

My daughter was also a school teacher a few years ago and I told her what happened. She said at another school a young boy in grade school drew a picture of a soldier with a gun and he was suspended. She told me that some of the teachers and principal's are fanatical over even a mention of a gun.

In my opinion, this is crazy behavior. I realize there have been shootings in schools, but now you can't even draw a picture of a gun or talk about trapshooting? Any one else think this is lunacy?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Senior Smoke,

Of course all of us on this site think this is ludicrous! But please do not judge all educators or the entire public education system by the behavior of a few left wing alarmists. Remember that the fastest growing port in American hig scchools is trapshooting. Take a look at the fantastic growth of the AIM programs across America.

I realize that some programs must be run through FFA or Four H programs, but also keep in mind that the sate of Missouri passed a joint resolution stating that the state government should do all it could to support the shooting sports in public schools. All is not lost, the pendulum swings both ways. Martinpicker

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well you dont know it even happened. You didnt receive the phone call and you dont know what the exact facts are.

If you think you know all the details, then approach the school board and ask that the teacher be disciplined.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My son's second grade teacher educated them about gun safety using the NRA's Eddie Eagle program. This was back in the 90's.

There is still some sanity left in the world.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

It is understandable that given the several high profile school shootings in recent years around the country that parents and school officials are concerned about gun violence.

Throughout our local school system, the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force Junior ROTC programs feature competitive air gun shooting. Some schools have all incoming freshmen undergo a special class or ROTC introduction which included firearms safety and air gun shooting. Drill and ceremony units use full size mock ups of 1903 Springfield rifles.

Some Social Studies teachers openly discuss flintlocks used in the American Revolution.

I have twice reported students who made drawings of guns and made threatening comments about other students. These students were removed from school for a period of time and given special testing and counseling. After a month or so, these students were returned to class with no incident but who knows what is really going through some of these young minds.

That said, we have had few instances of kids bringing guns to school. I have not witnessed any of these personally but they were reported in the news media. Fortunately, other students have reported these few instances and no students have been harmed.

What concerns me is the rampant gun violence present in so many video games. I think that this has a tendency to desensitize individuals about the result of shooting another individual. I know that popular television programs and movies invoke gun violence but some video games are near 100% shoot out type situations.

When I was in 8th grade back in the 1950's, some of us bought our hunting rifles and shotguns for "show and tell" type presentations.

In rural areas of our state, The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Department sends officers to talk to students about wildlife conservation which includes discussion of the mandatory, statewide Kentucky Hunter-Safety program and classes. These classes include gun safety and the actual discharge of a firearm by the student taking the class.

Ed Ward

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The "neighbor" needs to be the one to seek out what should be done with the teacher. She is obvious not "educated" enough to be certified, along with the rest who are "afraid" of firearms.

The only thing the rest of us can do is, when these incidents happen is to support the parents involved. Go with them to address the school board and administrations.

When more parents show up at meeting then teachers, sometimes your point will get across!!

IMO as to this teacher, she doesn't have the first clue about "Free Speech"! if she doesn't understand that, WHAT else doesn't she know? Probably LOTS!

Steve, you hit the nail on the head, "In my opinion, this is crazy behavior."

If you don't take on these battles of "Wrong" their side will keep winning and we will lose this next generation. Don't let the public school practice their "liberal indoctrination"

And YES there are good school teachers out there, sad to say the ones I know, WON'T ROCK the BOAT!!

They hunt and fish and competitively shoot, but won't stand up for their sport!!

And I'll call it as I see it, Cowards every one.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

With school shootings getting more prevalent these days I understand this teacher's alarm. Someone needs to pay attention to the kid and the teacher should be informed of what trapshooting is.

Education without hysteria is a good thing.

8. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I wore a hat with an alligator carrying a shotgun ( Florida State shoot). Supervisor at work was offended and said the alligator might shoot someone so please don't wear it to work. Birdtracker

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

In Canada, the schools think they are Co-Parents of their kids they teach.

A girl drew a picture of a gun and they called the police on her dad. Searched to home and found a TOY pistol!

Watch the video...

Jerbear

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

In Canada, the schools think they are Co-Parents of their kids they teach.

A girl drew a picture of a gun and they called the police on her dad. Searched to home and found a TOY pistol!

Watch the video...

Jerbear

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Call the ACLU and see if they would like to protect the kid's first amendment rights.

Fat chance, huh?

HM

12. senior smoke

I read each response so far, as I also watched the video. I sit here asking myself what has happened to some of our youth that they have a need, a want, to shoot fellow classmates?

After World War ll, 97% of mothers stayed at home raising the children. Today, 97% work outside the home. Are the problems we experience as a society due to the above, or the divorce rate?

Some people blame the violence on video games. When I was a child we had numerous westerns on TV, shows about the war, shoot em ups at the local theater too.

In my opinion, problems with our youth started around the time teachers started dressing casual at school. It is almost like they were to blend in with the student population. I feel this led to a lack of respect for not only teachers, but the police, and adults in general.

When I was a child my mother would drop me off on the first day of school and let the teacher know in no uncertain terms that if I did not listen to her, or if I was disrespectful in anyway that she had the authority to discipline me in any manner she felt fit, including a physical slap.

I new if my parents were called to school because of a disciplinary problem, they would take the side of my teacher.

Some days we would come to school with our shotguns and shells and place them in our locker so we could go hunting as soon as the bell rung. I wish I had the answer to our problems where a child today can not even draw a gun on a piece of paper, or a child can not talk freely about looking forward to the weekend to see his dad shoot.

Here in Wisconsin, we have trap teams in some of the high schools, but there are schools that you mention a gun and you are in trouble. I don't know the answer, or the real cause that we have all these problems.
    Steve Balistreri

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"I sit here asking myself what has happened to some of our youth that they have a need, a want, to shoot fellow classmates?"

Steve,

IMO a lot of things has festered this problem. First, lack of discipline at home. Second, T-Ball and other games where NO ONE wins! Third, kids having been never being told "NO". Forth, X-box and TV in general-they are not living in "Reality" everything is make believe. Fifth, Abortion on demand has taken the value of life to a all time low. Sixth, our judicial system has failed to punish for the severity of the crime to the point of taking someones life is no big deal!

KIDS are soaking all of this up right in front of our noses and we are powerless to stop it.

WHY?

God has been taken out of just about every facet of life and the favorite phase to keep it happening is "separation of church and state". Used very well by the left/liberals/progressives.

Just watch who attacks my last comment.

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I agree with both Steve and Timber... One other thing to consider is a project called Agenda 21. No conspiracy theory here. It's been documented that from 2005 - 2015 they are trying to dumb down a whole generation of kids to rely on the government for their needs. Above is a book of this and how it's come about.

At 5:58 of this video explains the school's roll in the Agenda 21 project and the dumbing down of the kids.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzEEgtOFFlM?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzEEgtOFFlM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Our kids are our greatest assets. Dumb them down and you kill America.

I have seen this crap in place at my local school. In the year 2005, my oldest son brought home a whole new math system to learn. Not add, subtract, multiply and divide. some bull sh*t that if the collective think 2+2=5 it then must be.

This isn't a Republican / Democrat issue. George H W Bush brought this back from a meeting in Rio. Bill Clinton sign it in by executive order.

Those with kids still in school. Read some of their text books. You'd be surprised at the crap they are learning. Especially history.

Jerbear

15. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

My oldest stepson is now a high school principal ,he was down here in Florida defrosting 2 weeks ago and I took him to my club. He has never even held a gun dispite growing up in my home where I wore a gun every day to work! He had a great time and was surprisingly adept at handgun shooting, and a fast learner , I know he will have few misgivings about guns and education,and might even change some uneducated minds! Mike Moloney Melbourne Florida

16. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I have relatives and "co-workers" located throughout the U.S. and I often get shock from them when I tell them that I have two Sons that are on a High School Trap Team.

The other day I was on the phone with an "East Coaster" when my Boys were headed out to Trap practice. I ask the caller to hold on and then hollowed at my Boys to remind them to make sure they clean their guns when they get back from practice. The person on the phone couldn't believe that I was trusting enough to allow my 16 and 17 year old kids to take two shotguns with 200 rounds of ammo with them without supervision.

I informed the caller about the Trap Team and how strongly safety and gun handling was preached and that they are fully trained to handle the weapons.

I also joked with the caller that I don't worry about either of my Boys doing any "drive-bys" on the way to practice. I told them I serious doubt that either of my Boys was able to swing a single shot shotgun with a 34" barrel out the the window of a Honda.

As a parent of three with two still in high school I can certainly understand the concern that our schools as well as our society has with gun violence. However anyone who is not ignorant when it comes to Trap shooting would know that a shotgun in the hands of an experience fully trained teen is less dangerous than a teen thug with a baseball bat.

Just like most things in this society, 90% of people are responsible and reasonable people, but because of the other 10% a stigma is formed.

I did some research and I find no incidents ever that involved a Teen shooting where-as the Teen was a Trap Shooter or where a Trap gun was used in a school shooting.

As we all know it's all about education not only for the shooter, but for society as well.

Craig

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Sad isn't it, I guess the best we can hope for is that enough of todays young-uns will actually think for themselves and see that without a way to protect their family and themselves from the government that they are doomed to a life of slavery to the government. Which this country went through a very UN-civil war to abolish. Ross Puls

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Coming to a school near you. Maybe even Iowa.

19. senior smoke

I have an adult son and daughter who attended the Wauwatosa school system near Milwaukee. They were indoctrinated by the school system at a very early age that all guns were bad. Despite my efforts and offer to take them trapshooting, hunter safety classes and to purchase them any trap gun they wanted, my kids never shot a single round.

One year, at my son's high school a disgruntled former student walked in with a hand gun and shot and killed the assistant principal. Obviously, this made matters worse in my community. The kid involved had mental problems and was upset that this authority figure asked him to leave the school as he was no longer a student.

Let's face it, if someone wants another person dead they will find a way. I believe that most of our gun laws only hurt the good law abiding citizen who fellows the rules.
    Steve

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Stokinpls,

Maybe the father being convicted of a felony assult, and robbery had something to do with the Teacher and Principal reporting this to police. The Principal had talked about hiring him, so he had to know of the conviction. Afterall the most published reason for this whole thing was possesion of a firearm. The other reasons after the fact where for the possiblility of the child having access to these firearms. Turns out that the gun drawn was the toy gun.

As stated above, give the whole story, or publish all of the actual facts. It is good that you posted the link so it could be read, and information could be used to draw at least a reasonable conclusion.

Jerbear,

That chopped up mess of rhetoric is exactly that.

It all comes down to kids having access to a fully functional firearm without adult supervision. If every gun in a house has trigger locks, or are locked up to the point of no access, kids can't use those guns in a school shooting. That is not to say kids won't have access to illegal gun possession, but it at least makes it tougher, and makes the responsibility more of the individual. The parents still need to teach right from wrong, and trapshooting and shooting sports do that I feel, if safety is the first thing taught. Usually, if not always the case.

I have a real problem with 7-16 year old kids playing these realistic video games that require shooting individuals in order to win or progress in the game. Then add the blood spraying and running from the victims, a loner child that maybe is a little mentally unstable, with no parent interaction, and access to a unlocked firearm. These kids play these video games as entertainment for hours a day. Then he gets bullied, unknowingly to adults, with no way out of it happening again tomorrow. What do you think this kids options are in his mind? What do you think he has learned about shooting the bad guys? Who does he see as the bad guys? Maybe even the parents in some cases.

These are the individuals the Teachers are fearful of. Not necessarily the guns. The problem is how is the teacher supposed to know what individuals are at that stage or capable of those actions. Just the fact that some of these kids that are involved in such shootings, are good students, with very good demeanor, and well behaved, shows that it can happen with any student. Not just the obvious, disgruntled, bad students.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooting bad for kids