1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Contender ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Joe, I have owned several different TC carbines and they all were very accurate.
    Carey

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I have a Contender with too many barrels, and the 17HMR 23" bull barrel I had was a tack driver! As I already had several 17s, I traded it (barrel) for something else. I like the 23" over the "carbine" or 21" version due to a steadier hold.

AndyH ;-)

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have not had a .17 but have had most others over the past thirty or so years...almost all have been quite accurate, from a std. 22, through 22mag, 222 rem, 357, 44, 45 colt, 223, 45-70., Carbines right now are two, one in 223, one in 45-70. Only contender barrel that I was not satisfied with was a 45/410 which, while fun in 410, would not shoot the colt ammo with any kind of accuracy. Too long a jump from cast to rifling and the enlarged bore when the choke was removed was the problem.

I'd not be afraid to try any caliber in a cont. carbine.

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I would like to have a 410 barrel for mine.
    Do you still have it Savage99stan

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Nice collection Vern. I'm jealous.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

lordy, lordy!!

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

R bob...I have the .410 and use it as such..bought a solo 45 colt barrel (straight w/o) choke for the power loads. Sorry, but I'm keeping both. They are fairly plentiful out there..check gunbroker or auctionarms. Way cheaper than store bought.

Examples: paid 85 for the colt, 90 for the 30-30, 125 for the 222, and for the G2carbine with 209X50 and 45-70 barrels 450 total. Another carbine in 223 with scope set me back 450 but I got pistol grip/forend and a 22 bull barrel with it.

Pretty reasonable if you just look around a little

Good luck.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Vern's collection, while quite impressive, shows one problem with acquiring a lot of TC barrels.... the collective price of all those optics.

I keep telling myself I need a Contender, but never seem to get around to it. Was going to a TC handgun in 223 for coyoting, but we often get multiple coyotes coming in, so I went with a PLR-16 instead.

I've heard some criticism about the Encore, but nothing specific. Anyone care to chime in?

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I've decided to change over to the Encore platform. Here is the best site I have found on the subject of TC's.

bellmtcs.com

You will find both pros and the cons of TC's.

Take a look at Bergara Barrels, they are cheaper and better made then some of the barrels coming out of TC's custom shop!

AAAh there I go again, stateing some of my 2 cents about todays firearm makers here in the US.

10. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Anyone want a pile of TC contender stuff? Don't shoot it anymore and got silly and bought 3 trap guns. Really old frame, Turn the hammer to switch CF to RF. No safety. 22 RF octagon,super accurate, 45 X 410 external choke & key, 223 Super 14 scoped. Some extra grips and forends. $1,000 for the pile.

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Vern,

Since S&W have taken over, their customer service is really lacking! personal experince!

On the Bellm site you'll find out more about TC and its not in a good lite.

Its an age old problem, the bigger you get the less you listen!

I have always liked single shots, and the Encore is hard to beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.