1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Contender

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by 1badapple, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1badapple

1badapple Member

0   0   0

Anyon have a Contender for sale ?

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have a first year of production with a 10" .357 barrel. It has a factory 2x scope mounted.

I don't have a price in mind, but have been contemplating selling.

PM if you have any interest, and I can take, and email pictures, and come up with a reasonable price.

Thank you,
    Russ.

3. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

0   0   0

I'm curious as to what a reasonable price would be? I've been looking at one just as you described and he wants $450.00 for it which seemed I thought maybe a little high,but then maybe not.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

How about a Contender with 2 barrels?

One is a .223 w/3X scope and the other is a .44 mag w/red dot.

Price is negotiable.

5. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

0   0   0

1badapple, do some research before you buy, some of the early model frames are limited to early barrels, the G-2 frame you can add rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader barrels, it all depends what you want to do with it.Joe

6. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

0   0   0

A .17HMR barrel for the Contender is a hoot! Deadly on blacktailed jacks.

7. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have one with the 45LC/.410 shotgun shell barrel with a screw-in choke for the .410 (must be removed to shoot 45LC. Tip of the hammer is broken off and I have a new hammer ordered. This is the early contender. I guess I will sell it for around $350.00. You could take delivery now and I will forward the new hammer when I get it or you could wait til I get the hammer and install it. Also has a new choke tube wrench.

Mark

8. a budine

a budine Member

0   0   0

I have one with two super 14" barrels - .35 Rem w/Leopold M8-2x and .223w/Burris 2-7; wood grips and Pacymeyer(sp) grips -$750.00. In upstate NY.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

NOTE:

trapshooterjoe7 said:

"the G-2 frame you can add rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader barrels, it all depends what you want to do with it.Joe"

This is not necessarily true.

All T/C frames can be made into rifles and shoot rifle cartridges but the different frames dictate which calibers can be used.

The G2 will not handle the heavy high pressure rifle calibers, magnum muzzleloader charges or 12ga shotgun shells. i believe the largest shotgun barrel for the G2 is 28ga. G2 and Contender barrels are interchangeable. For the high pressure cartridges you will need an Encore frame. It is designed to handle magnum muzzleloader cartridges as well as many heavy caliber rifle rounds. There are plenty of large caliber rounds the regular T/C Contender and the G2 will handle though including the .45/70 Governement, .444 Marlin, .30-.30, .35 Remington and 7.62x39mm just to name a few. T/C has a custom shop that will also make barrels for many Wildcat cartridges. I have a standard frame T/C Contender and it is a great hunting pistol.

10. grntitan

0   0   0

Vern,

I am very jealous. Very, very jealous. My Contender barrel collection has dwindled to just (2) barrels although i am shopping again. I want a 14" Hunter barrel in .444 Marlin. My mind is somehow convinced that my 14" .44Mag barrel is not doing the job for whitetail despite killing yet another one with it this year. I'm sure i don't have to justify it by you though. :)
    grntitan_2009_250349.jpg

11. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

0   0   0

Matt....that is an old picture. It has been added to since then. I have 2 old style Contender Frames...1 is an old original, without the upgrade, in blue....

1 is a silver, second generation, Thompson Center Assoc. special run and I have an Pro Hunter..silver.

Most of the barrels are for the 2 Contender frames. The most fun is playing with the old .256 Winchester Mag. bbl...10"...octogon...blue.

Check out this site...Chamber adapters to let you shoot more than 1 caliber in a bore diameter....

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Vern

12. grntitan

0   0   0

Vern,

That's very interesting. I had a heavy bull barrel .223 just last year and traded it on something i just had to have. I went back about 7 months later to see if it was still there and of course it wasn't. I'm still kicking myself for that. That was one fun barrel. I also played with the .35 Remington for quite sometime but the fact i wasn't loading my own centerfire at the time put a quick end to that. I just got set up to load centerfire which has re-sparked my interest in the T/C Contender again. After my shoulder replacement in two weeks i am gonna seriously start searching for barrels again. I just have my mind set on that .444 Marlin right now.

Matt

13. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Vern, you and I both suffer from the same illness hehe. I dont have as many as you but close.....I am so sick,,,, need another barrel as treatment.... anyone have a 14 inch barrel in 30 herret or maybe a 35 herret that they want to part with? I consider my 30-30AI my best hunting barrel, what a round.

Rick

14. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

0   0   0

Rick...there is a fellow here in Pa. that I get my Contender things from. He specialize's in Thompson Arms. He is as knowledgable on them as anyone. He travels all over going to gun shows selling and buying.

Drop him an email and ask him....ronstcs@aol.com. His name is Ron Sable.

Vern

15. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Matt, I shot a 6.5 JDJ Super 14 for awhile in competition and loved it. Now I have a Super 14 and a carbine barrel in 7-30 Waters. My wife has killed 3 bucks with 3 shots with the carbine. I recommend it highly.

Ken Rucker

16. grntitan

0   0   0

Ken,

I had my hands on a used 7-30 Waters barrel yesterday for a pretty nice price locally. The guy also had a nice 14" .223 bull barrel very reasonably priced. I just haven't made up my mind yet on what i want. Actually my problem is i want them all but my appetite is bigger than my plate if you know what i mean. :)

Matt

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I used to have a bunch of Contender barrels but sold all but two - Super 14s in 7mm T/CU and 7-30 Waters - to fund a couple of Remington XP100Rs. The T/CU barrel has a 4x Leupold with a target elevation turret on it (I recall it was a scope intended for silhouette shooting) and the Waters barrel uses T/C sights (it was my rainy-weather deer gun). The accuracy of those things is amazing. My frame is Gen 1 (I guess) - blued with a Mountain Lion or some other big cat on the sides (SN is 213513). It came with wood stocks but I put Pachmyars on it before I ever fired it. Still have the wood stuff here somewhere.

I met the man who operated the machine that engraved all those early Contenders at the Eastern Sports & Outdoor SHow in Harrisburg, PA in February of 2010. He still works for T/C but in another capacity.

Ed

18. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

0   0   0

Vern, yes they are a lot of fun, if anyone is interested there is a wealth of info on "Mike Bellms TCs" web site. I have a few good barrels and have had some bad barrels. If you like to tinker you can make most of the factory barrels into super accurate shooters, get the over sized hinge pin, and a shim kit for the firing pin bushing and do a trigger job.My most accurate barrel is a 21" 7x30 waters barrel, with the right bullet and load it will shoot neat little cloverleafs.I also have some 10" bull barrels that are very accurate.Joe

19. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

0   0   0

My most accurate barrel is my 7mm BR. In both the 24" and 15".

Ron Sable, who I mentioned in the earlier posting, was instrumential in developing a chambering and cartridge to make a center fire caliber to use in the old 5mm Remington cal.

They are all fun to shoot but I'm not as steady as I once was and the carbine barrels are a big aid to me shooting better.

Ed...If I remember correctly..Ron has a XP100 in 221 Fireball with scope for sale.

Vern

20. rrose

rrose TS Member

0   0   0

I used to shoot contenders a lot,ihmsa and just for fun. 1 of my favorites was the 14in hunter in 375 WIN. That was a great round in that barrel. I also enjoyed the 357 Max in a 10 in barrel. It is good to see so many on here appreciate the contenders. I hope to add one and some extra barrels back to my collection soon.
    randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

contender shim kit

ronstcs