1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Taxidermist or artists

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I guess this could be considered off topic - doesn't seem to fit in any other category.

So . . . . I had this bright idea to clean a deer skull and then do a european mount. I threw it in my pond to let the turtles and fish do the clean up. I didn't realize it would bleach out the antlers. Now I need to get the color back on the antlers. I'd like it to look like the antlers of the last deer I shot.

Is there a reasonably easy way to restore the darker color of "normal antlers ?"

Sorry got the same pic twice. And, yes, there is a story re: the rope on the second set of antlers !

amboy49_2008_03031.jpg

amboy49_2008_03031.jpg

amboy49_2008_03032.jpg

2. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I have heard several Coats of Vegatable oil will bring back color on shed antlers.

3. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

You might want to try some lindseed oil mixed with some dark brown oil base paint such as Testers model paint. Mix together to get a almost transparent color brush it on fairly heavy with cheap chip brush and then wipe it off to get the desired effect. Try on something like a piece of painted wood first and if you like the effect do the rack.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"The taxidermist gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"

Classic.

-Gary

5. amboy49

I think that was " the taxidermy man he gonna . . . ." But close.

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ya would be ok with linseed oil and a dark stain, like ya would use on wood. Don't use paint. Mix the two together and brush it on, wiping off with a rag just after ya get through brushing it on. If too light, do again.

GneJ

7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

This may sound dumb,but try shoe polish. I used a brown polish to tint an old rack back to looking good. Wiped it on and took it right off. Worked for me,try it on an old pair first,see if it will work for you?

8. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

McKinzie Taxidermy Supply has a paint kit that has the 4 colors needed to color repair or reproduction antlers, I use it all the time it is a wipe on wipe off water base paint. thanks Ronnie

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

potassium permanganate...

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I want to hear the rope story.

Was it one those "hey, watch this" moments?

11. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

HSLDS has it right. The potassium permanganate mixed with water will turn ivory or light bone a nice chocolate brown. You can rub it back down to whatever shade you like. Looks natural, not like something painted on. Air brush would work great, if you don't have one apply it with a cotton swab. Try it in a small place on the antlers to get a feel for the color your want. Your local drug store should be able to help you with what you need.

12. amboy49

Setterman,

Since you asked. I'd shot the deer in Oklahoma last year and brought the skull home. Didn't get it cleaned off/out soon enough and the flies got to it causing quite a stink. I decided I'd tie it to a tree in my yard to let the sun and time "bake" away the odor - the rope, I figured, would keep the coyotes from dragging it away. Unbeknownst to me one of my hunting friends saw it and confiscated it. I bitched about someone stealing for over a year - just about everytime we got together they would bring it up and get me pi--ing and moaning. I blamed the trash man, the neighborhood kids, and anyone else I could think of.

My hunting companions and I had our annual wild game Christmas dinner extravaganza again this year( antelope, whitetail, mule deer, moose, elk, squirrel, rabbit, wild boar, pheasant, quail, grouse, woodcock, pigeon and caribou - remnants from current and hunts past ) and I got the antlers back in a ceremonial presentation in front of everyone - wives and non-hunting friends included. The tag on the board is inscribed "Lost deer found." Suffice to say I was taken completely unawares and my hunting got the last laugh. At least for now !

You know the old saying "Paybacks are hell."

13. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I am a taxidermist here in Louisiana and I use a acrylic aint watered down in a burnt umber color. Thin it out and ut it on with a small brush then wipe it off to get the desired color. I have even added a little white or yellow ochre to it. Once it is dried take some fine steel wool and lighten up the tips and so.

Thad

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I tried several colors of wood stain on a shed and it looked very fake. Fortunately the test antler was a very small undesired shed. I ended up just leaving the larger shed to what Mother Nature had naturally done with it.

15. fuzzytail

fuzzytail TS Member

I have used coffe grounds to get the colors i need without the heavy dark look. Wet and smear.

16. amboy49

Guess I'll have to start drinking coffee. Was that decaf or caffeinated ? (Sorry to be a smart a--. Couldn't resist) Thanks for the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.