1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tax Poll, anyone?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crusha, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Some interesting insight in this poll, on what America thinks about taxes (and remember, about a third of Americans don't pay income taxes now - keep that in mind as you read).

--------------------------------------------------------

47% Say Taxing Top Income Americans is Good for U.S. Economy
    rasmussenreports.com Mon Oct 13, 11:33 AM ET

A plurality of voters (47%) say Barack Obama's plan to raise taxes on those who earn over $250,000 a year is good for the troubled U.S. economy, even though 51% still believe that lower taxes are the best way to spur economic growth.

Thirty-one percent (31%) disagree with Obama's proposal, saying raising taxes on these upper-income earners will be bad for the economy, but 16% say the proposal will have no impact, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Just 10% think higher taxes are the best way to grow the economy, while 29% say taxes should stay the same.

Tax cuts are expected to be center stage in Wednesday night's final presidential debate.

Given the bad economic news of the last several weeks, voters are fairly evenly divided on what is best to help the economy, cutting taxes or getting the government more involved. Forty-four percent (44%) like more government; 41% prefer cutting taxes. The rest are undecided.

Men support Obama's plan to raise taxes on upper-income earners by just four points, but women favor it more than two-to-one.

Only 19% of Republicans think it's a good idea, compared to 70% of Democrats. Fifty-nine percent (59%) of GOP voters oppose the tax hike for those earning more than $250,000, versus just 11% of Democrats. Unaffiliated voters like the proposal 47% to 26%.

In an effort to get himself back in the presidential race, John McCain is expected to increasingly emphasize his differences with Obama on taxes. McCain favors cutting the corporate tax rate and making permanent tax cuts championed by President Bush that are set to expire in 2010. He argues that lower taxes across all income groups are better for the economy. Upper-income earners shouldn't be penalized, McCain argues, because they invest more and create jobs.

Obama insists on the campaign trail and in a wave of television advertising nationwide that he will not raise taxes on any American earning under a quarter-million dollars a year. He contends those that earn more should pay more.

Nationally, Obama has opened a stable lead over McCain in both the Rasmussen Daily Presidential Tracking Poll and the Electoral College projections.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls).

Forty-eight percent (48%) of voters say raising capital gains taxes would be bad for the economy. Twenty-six percent (26%) think it would be a good move, and 16% say it would have no impact.

Thirty-five percent (35%) also say the stock market will go down if taxes are raised on capital gains, but 22% think the market would rise. The same number (22%) also think increasing those taxes would have no impact.

On both questions, GOP voters are far warier of increasing the taxes than are Democrats. Seventy-four percent (74%) of Republicans say raising capital gains taxes would be bad for the economy, but just 25% of Democrats agree. Forty percent (40%) of Democrats think it's a good idea. Unaffiliated voters say it's a bad move by slightly more than two-to-one.

Both Republicans and unaffiliated voters by double-digit margins say raising capital gains taxes will lower the stock market, but Democrats believe that by only four points.

In a survey after the first presidential debate on September 26, voters said they trusted Obama on all 10 major issues tracked by Rasmussen Reports, including taxes. Voters are evenly divided on which candidate they trust more on taxes, a problem for McCain since Republicans historically have benefited at the polls from their reputation as tax-cutters.

Forty-nine percent (49%) of voters say the economy is the most important voting issue this year. But voters by sizable majorities also worry that the government will get too involved in the crumbling housing market which is at the center of the country's current economic woes.

Consumer and investor confidence rebounded slightly on Monday, but last week the Rasmussen Investor Index and the Rasmussen Consumer Index hit their lowest levels in history.

This telephone survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted by Rasmussen Reports on October 12, 2008. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence.

Rasmussen Reports is an electronic publishing firm specializing in the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

why not just a flat tax on everyone who gets a income of any kind. personal and business. I do not think its right for someone making more should pay a higher % rate. how about a flat 7% tax on everyone and all business. no tax breaks. SS should be a option. I would take the money I have put up back with out interest if I could. no matter what the hard workers os the USA are going to get screwed. The lazy and will nots are circling.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

maclellan1911- I like your ideas but see one fault. If my business is taxed at a rate of 7%, I simply consider this an expense and pass it along to my customers. Of course, now my business tax rate is nearly 50% and that is passed along to my customers. If my business tax was reduced by 43%, I would lower my prices. A business does not pay any tax, the customers of the business pay the tax.

Pat Ireland

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

43% is our combined tax rate on payroll, including both sides of FICA and Medicare. Then comes the Corporate income tax.

Then the income gets taxed again on our personal returns at the same rate you pay.

What's left over for groceries, shells and gasoline gets taxed at 10.25% in Chicago. Loop parking is taxed at 33%. Telephone and Cell phones are taxed at what, 15%, including a stupid leftover tax to ensure victory in the Spanish-American war.

The only way to make a living wage is to go into politics or some other criminal activity.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

ctreay, you make sense.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

This is America. Everyone is equal. Tax everyone at the same rate. Any rate less than 10% sounds good. HMB

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Even if a national flat tax is enacted, how long do you think it would take for special interest groups to begin demanding and receiving tax breaks from their elected officials? Eventually we'd end up with the same tax code we have right now, maybe worse.

LA

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

LA, being from MAssachusetts, you have learned the game well!!! this is a classic bait and switch that we always see in the Peoples Republic.....

9. TC

TC TS Member

Everyone no matter what their income level should pay the same percentage income tax. The idea that some people should be excused because their income is less, and some should pay more because their income is greater is just plain wrong!

Social engineering through the granting of exemptions is also wrong. Who is the greater burden to the local school system and the community; the working couple with two children or the unemployable single person with six of uncertain parentage?

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

For my entire adult life, I've opposed any amendments to the U.S. Constitution which state tax policy. However, of late I'm inclined to go along with what the late Dr. Milton Friedman proposed. He believed that the U.S. Constitution should be amended to limit the government's consumption of the U.S. GDP to about 20 percent maximum, except during a declared war.

I would go a step further and limit the take to fifteen percent in peace time. I would further limit state tax takes, and possible eliminate property taxes as a source of revenue.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.